SAU Community

Random Car Trivia I Found In Top Gear Australia Mag

scathing

Jim Richards and Mark Skaife hold the record for the fastest Bathurst 1000. In 1991 they completed the classic race in 6 hours, 19 minutes and 14.80 seconds, at an average speed of 158.26km/hr.

I'm trying to remember what car those two were driving back in 1991.............

Edited by scathing

Yes Scathing, but let us be fair, it was before they modified the track.

Thats incorrect, The chase went in after Bathurst 1986 when Mike Bergmans Commodore became airborne and crashed...RIP

Funny Alan...

I couldn't remember the figures of 6 Hrs, 19 min., 14.8 sec in a rain shortened Bathurst 1000 but somehow...

I CAN'T GET JIM RICHARDS' SPEEEEEEEECH OUTTA MY MIND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

ESPECIALLY THE WORD HE USED LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

1992: The race was stopped on Lap 145 because of numerous crashes in the heavily rain-soaked circuit, including the car of the leader on Lap 144. The race was wound back to the previous completed lap 144 as per the usual red flag rule, however in doing so it was discovered that some of the vehicles that had crashed during the storm-burst had crashed prior to the race leader completing the 144th lap. In this rare instance the race was wound back an additional lap so all involved vehicles could be classified as finishers.

Now... Who won the 1992 Bathurst and in what car?

Shit... Couldn't they handle an AWD car in the wet or something?

As to the introduction of the chase...

"The Chase", a large three-corner chicane, added in 1987 to the straight to comply with the FIA's regulations regarding length of straights was dedicated to Burgmann with a plaque embedded in the concrete barriers.

It was not added because of the death, it was to bring the track to FIA standards, but was dedicated to Mike Burgmann, as he died there the year earlier.

Edited by MBS206

1992: The race was stopped on Lap 145 because of numerous crashes in the heavily rain-soaked circuit, including the car of the leader on Lap 144. The race was wound back to the previous completed lap 144 as per the usual red flag rule, however in doing so it was discovered that some of the vehicles that had crashed during the storm-burst had crashed prior to the race leader completing the 144th lap. In this rare instance the race was wound back an additional lap so all involved vehicles could be classified as finishers.

Now... Who won the 1992 Bathurst and in what car?

Shit... Couldn't they handle an AWD car in the wet or something?

As to the introduction of the chase...

"The Chase", a large three-corner chicane, added in 1987 to the straight to comply with the FIA's regulations regarding length of straights was dedicated to Burgmann with a plaque embedded in the concrete barriers.

It was not added because of the death, it was to bring the track to FIA standards, but was dedicated to Mike Burgmann, as he died there the year earlier.

Shit....I beleive that it wasn't a wet track i beleive it was FLOODED and i believe the car was on slicks....Like to see anyone else do that and for the amount of time they did they were fine until they hit the top of the mountain and there was rivers everywhere.

here's one for you. who can remember the lap record holder pre caltex chase? and record that now can't be broken haha :(

George Fury in the Bluebird with the fire extingusher pointed @ the intercooler and the non standard "japanese" IRS rear end!

Shit....I beleive that it wasn't a wet track i beleive it was FLOODED and i believe the car was on slicks....Like to see anyone else do that and for the amount of time they did they were fine until they hit the top of the mountain and there was rivers everywhere.

George Fury in the Bluebird with the fire extingusher pointed @ the intercooler and the non standard "japanese" IRS rear end!

oh yeah. very interesting for qualifying they would wind the boost up so between the qualifying lap and the race they where replacing the turbo. :bunny: