SAU Community

Vl 308 To Rb20det

sickm8

hi i know this has probably been asked many times but i cant seem to find anything on it. i got a vl calais with a carby v8 and 3 speed auto and its on gas. im about to buy an r32 4 door skyline with front end damage. its got a rb20det and auto transmission.

my question is how hard is it to drop the r32 engine and gear box into the vl?

wat other bits do i need?

do i need to get exhaust made up or will r32 bolt up?

much appreciated.

dont know honestly. might just be easier to work with what you got. where are you from? i got a complete VLT loom here if you want to buy it, although i personally wouldnt think its necesary

wen its done i will be selling it. wanna get a house

It will probably cost you more to do it than the end sale price...

Why not just get rid of both and not wasteyour time???

Not being rude, but VLT's are pretty cheap. What makes you think a non-original 2 litre version of a VLT is going to be an attractive car???

(attractive meaning get a few bucks from its sale)

IE> If I were looking for a turbo VL, id be going for an original 3 litre version where insurance and the police wont give me a hard time about mod plates

I mean the rb20 is not the greatest motor for torque or outright power, then you put it in a heavy chassis...

Why replace the 308? They are a strong engine, parts are cheap, a few bolt ons (or if you can be bothered tearing the engine down) or a stroker kit and you can push great, usable numbers with amazing bottom end torque. This isn't to mention it has 2.5 times, or thereabouts, the capacity of an RB20.

My advice would be to look at a 308 to 328/355 stroker kit with SCAT crank and conrods. Like these http://www.pro-stroke.com.au/stroker_kits.html

or if you can't be arsed doing that go with edelbrock heads, intake manifold and a nice mild/hot (depending on your preference) crow cam.

Also convert to PULP.

Of course if there is a reason as to why you would do such a conversion other than "because" fair enough and good luck to you.

Why replace the 308? They are a strong engine, parts are cheap, a few bolt ons (or if you can be bothered tearing the engine down) or a stroker kit and you can push great, usable numbers with amazing bottom end torque. This isn't to mention it has 2.5 times, or thereabouts, the capacity of an RB20.

My advice would be to look at a 308 to 328/355 stroker kit with SCAT crank and conrods. Like these http://www.pro-stroke.com.au/stroker_kits.html

or if you can't be arsed doing that go with edelbrock heads, intake manifold and a nice mild/hot (depending on your preference) crow cam.

Also convert to PULP.

Of course if there is a reason as to why you would do such a conversion other than "because" fair enough and good luck to you.

this post is common sense

put a 5 speed gearbox behind it, or do you only have an auto license? (lol)

cheers for the info guys. didnt realise the rb20 was so disliked lol, the reason i gonna go the rb20 was because the car its comin from has done under 100k and and at a good price. but yeah i might leave it as it is.

how much are rb20det and gearbox worth these days?

like 1000-1500.

go on calaisturbo and look for the rb20 thread. lists all the parts you need for the conversion, and everyone whose been nothing but let down by it. theres just no low down torque for big, relatively heavy car. most people start with an RB30, and the conclusion was your beter off to turbo that, starting from a V8, i'd do as suggested above

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the R32 and VL have similar weight? It would be moreso the 3.08 V8 diff, or even the 3.45 VLT diff that will let down the rev happy RB20 - IIRC most of the whinging about them on CT was due to the unhealthy fixation with drag cars on that website. You will find a ton of info there about a conversion though, just beware the amount of wankers and schoolkids that tend to congregate on there.

on the rego sticker on the vl i had ages ago it was 1200ish kg. the rego sticker on my R32 said 1300ish kg. i remember when i had both of them, comparing the two and to my supprise the 32 was heavier.

edit: and yes, a straight swap with the rb20 and they dont go that well. once i put 4.11s in my vl (rb20 conversion) it went alot better.

Edited by QWK32

rego stickers are bs for weight. my mates soarer says its 1250 lol

i dont think there would be much in it, either way, but its still got no low down torque, especially when you look at results of turboing the RB30, or mod the v8