SAU Community

Crazy Hot

Thomasino

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got our Staffy a little wadding pool yesterday so she could cool off. Not fair we swim int he pool and she doesn't have her own :D

we bought our staffies one of those half shell pools too Roo.... THEY FRICKEN ATE IT!!!! now they have a million pieces of blue plastic all over the yard *sigh*

Yesterday we suffered the scheduled power black outs. My work was out for a while and so was Marion shopping centre, was on the way home during this though so missing out on the chaos.

I'm hoping it cools down a bit tonight so I can wash my car.

Yeah, my work lost power for 90 minutes, and earlier in the day the aircon in the west side of the office failed, leaving all the admin staff royally uncomfortable... had a blackout in my suburb on Wed night between 2 and 5 am. Didn't sleep much that night I can tell you...

UPS's are still going apeshit with all the power fluctuations... *sigh* I'm seriously considering installing a DC genny and some deep cycle batteries to wire into the grid.... get the generator to run on the gas supply... just depends on how much its gonna cost, we have 2.5 kw of solar panels coming soon, so it could be a nice addition...

-D

Dohmar what exactly is a UPS?

Was late for work yesterday, got stuck at Sturt Road/Brighton Road traffic lights were out, seems Sturt roads lights were out but Brighton road still had their green. After about 10 mins of sitting in the heat at the front of the row the lights finally started flashing orange and Brighton road stopped for us.

Power cut out at work. Backup generators kicked in.

5mins later generators failed. Moved to backup office.

10mins later power cut out at backup office. Moved back to first office which now had power again.

Computers failed to connect to the server and had to everything by hand.

... 6pm and I got the f**k outta there!

Dohmar what exactly is a UPS?

Like steve said, an uninterrupted powersupply. its basically a battery backup unit for computers and other telecommunications equipment. They have built in sine wave regulators.... in ideal clean AC power the sine wave of voltage switching (from +240v to -240v) should generally be a perfect wave. In times of demand the wave can bottoms out (called a brown out - less voltage than normal) and can also have surges (more common in winter - when you get more than 240v)... the UPS absorbes excess power into the earth or the battery, and also draws power from the battery when the voltage drops. And if you lose power completely, they can power stuff like computers for 10-15 mins (for a cheap ups) all the way up to 8 hours for a very expensive one. Mine has audible alarms whenever it detects anything 'not normal' and since I have a few of them around the house its not hard to figure out when the power is screwed. Next UPS I buy will have data logging so I can shove it under the face of my local MP...

-D

lol, my ups has paid for itself many times over. has surge arresters for a pstn line and also for the mains. its so loud when it goes on battery

i have had modems release their magic smoke a couple times thru surges in the phone lines... since getting it i have had my modem last for ages

had car remapped on thurs. poor car didnt like sitting on dyno getting tuned. was nearly 45deg in there and i was sweating my ass off. made a good diff to the result but then again i know for a fact i can run my car in the heat no worries. car didnt over heat or ping so im happy. least i know this engine is safe in the heat.

we lost power for about a hour straight then it dropped out out 4 or 5 times for a couple of mins at a time . then it settled down been good since .

but the new estate across the road didnt lose there's at all bastards lol

that might have been switching related, but the new estates have their own separate transformers

what area u in out of interest?

oh, to give u a call back? yeah lol

12.5 hours thurs

11.5 yesterday

8 hours today

back in at 1am

i'll giv ya a ring in a sec lol

Damn man, u seriously deserve some beers for that effort.... boss shows u any love? I always feel for the guys fixing the shit, we had the blokes come past around 3am on Wed to fix the outage in our street... tis a thankless job eh

-D