SAU Community

Garrett Gt3076 Onto Rb25

SS#eater

also check out ATPturbo they may not supply a complete bolt on kit but coming from the US they are pretty decent on pricing too.

they are helpful with emails too so worth asking if they can supply the lot on a bolt on basis.

cost of shipping from US to Australia for a turbo etc (from memory) was about USD$95 so to UK should be about the same.

warranty might be an issue but turbo warranties are worth a lick of spit anyway.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Floyd/Wolverine - thanks for those links to the sites - they're really good! The ATP turbo one is excellent - it even has pictures to show the different flange types on all the turbo components - makes picking it a bit more confusing but it gives me a better understanding of what to chase up too. Good prices too esp. with the exchange rate altho I wish that rate was what it was a year or two back lol!

Worp3d - thanks for your help too - btw that avatar is inspired!

SS#eater - looking forward to seeing the updates on your car - this is a really tidy build and I hope I can get mine to a similar level. I'm aiming for 450-500bhp maximum and if I get that I would be well pleased with it.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys

okay I've done a bit of searching on here and it seems that the GT3076 is definitely the way to go for me! I've been pricing it up on tweakit.net and I have to say its alot cheaper than I thought it would be! :)

Feel free to shoot me down/correct me here btw...

I'm gonna get one with a .82 turbine housing as from what I've read on here that is closer to the original garrett spec, whereas the smaller housings were designed for 4 cyl engines? Dunno if I have that right but it seems like a good balance from what I've read. I'm gonna go for a stainless downpipe with the kit and I think this turbine from tweakit comes with internal wastegate is that right? I've read a few ppl have mixed thoughts on that vs external but I think internal would be best. feel free to correct me tho!

overall the tweakit kit with stainless 5bolt flanged downpipe AND shipping comes to £1,350 - that is comically cheap for me over here! My only worry is if there would be extra pricing on top once it comes into the country - I dont have much experience at all of ordering from overseas but I'm happy to wait the 2 weeks it'll take to deliver.

my engine is ready to take this - its a rebuilt RB25det with 87mm wiseco pistons, RB26 nur spec conrods, cometic head gasket and ARP head bolts. 550cc injectors. 32gtr clutch (aren't they easy on the foot lol!) and numerous other bits like oil reloc kit and 19row mocal oil cooler thermostat controlled. It has 60mm radiator and numerous other bits too like ARC fmic (huge thing!) so overall I think this car could handle the 500 I want to try and obtain.

so sorry to hijack this thread guys but any thoughts would be fantastic - well impressed with tweakit.nets prices and I will almost certainly be running that route and putting up pictures once I get the kit and get it fitted!

thanks

ant

uk

• 2 weeks later...

great stuff .82 and internal wgate is what I opted for - after reading up on here a few ppl said that its the original spec from garrett and the smaller housings cause overboost and spikes so I ran with that :thumbsup:

Yeah it worked out at a good price but hilariously I ended up getting it from a different company after some idiotic email confusion on my part (its confusing and difficult to explain but suffice it to say I am a muppet!).

However it still worked out the same price so now I just need a fitting kit. Would tweakit do that kit separately and post it through my way do you know?

bit frustrating I never get email notifications that I posted up on this thread - and I always tick the box below doh!

anyhow looking forward to getting turbo and getting it installed :rofl:

Thanks Wolverine.

Well i'm a bit narked off - my GT3076R arrived today and I've noticed it has a .6 housing on the turbine side and no internal wastegate on the exhaust side!

Also the flange on the other side is a 4 bolt pattern instead of the nissan 5 bolt.

Now I'm lost - looking through my emails I didn't specify which one I was after so he's just sent through the turbo. I'm tempted to put it up on ebay and flog it, get my cash back then get another through tweakit.net whom seem to be much more knowledgable and they do a turbo/fitting kit with it too.

My question is - is it still fittable? I've read that the smaller housing without an internal wastegate is a good idea but is fitting an external wastegate a good idea with the skyline?

thoughts and ppl in the know with this would be much appreciated as I'm a hairs breadth from packing the whole skyline scene in now

ta

ant

The only difference and external gate will make is controlling the boost, it wont have problems with boost spike, the only other problem you will have is that you will need a custom dump pipe made for it, im pretty sure even the nissan rear on those still need custom oil and water lines so that will be the same no matter which one you go.

If I ran with the one I need it seems I will need to change my exhaust manifold to accomodate the external wastegate

Then I will need to change the turbo elbow and find one that mates to this turbo.

Then use a V-band fitting kit to get the turbo elbow to mate up to the downpipe. All in all it sounds like a total house of horrors and I'm not that good at welding either :rofl:

..why the hell cant they just be plug and play ffs? :banana:

okies heres some pics of the turbo...

4 bolt flange design on the butt.. here's where I epic failed to specify that it is a 5 bolt design but thinking about it - it shouldn't matter really should it? I mean nissan has a 6 bolt design so I'd still be messing about chopping an welding..

P1020454.jpg

oil and water lines go in here I'm guessing... altho knowing my luck they dont!

P1020455.jpg

T3 flange? probably not again knowing my luck...

P1020456.jpg

the front - bigger than I thought..

P1020457.jpg

here's where my confusion arises now...

it says 0.60 A/R on the turbine side...

P1020458.jpg

and also inside the charge air out port of the turbine

P1020459.jpg

however on the exhaust housing I have the following inside...

P1020462.jpg

it reads 0.82in

so I'm a bit confused now as I thought the .82 was related to the turbine side not exhaust side...

good news is the turbine (hot side) is the right one but you really wanted an internal gate...so bugger.

you were always going to need a new down (dump) pipe and a new inlet for the compressor but it sucks going to the trouble of an external gate.

will tweakit do a swap if you send the turbine housing back?

ps. you are better off with a garrett housing over a shoehorned nissan housing despite the extra cost of the mods to make it fit. if you wanted simple bolt on then buying a HKS GT3037 ProS or HKS2835 ProS would have been the better bet but higher cost.

hi Wolverine - I'm beginning to suspect you dont sleep over there lol! :rofl:

So the turbine side being .60 isn't a bad thing then thats cool. From what I've read on here ppl seem to go with a .82 turbine side and an internal wastegate..

or they go with a .60 turbine side and fit an external wg. I wanted to do .82 with internal but looks like I may have to do the other route unless they swap with me.

It wasn't actually tweakit I got it through it was with a realstreetperformance from the US - some email confusion on my part caused me to buy from the wrong person but they do seem to be quite cool (I'm a big fail at all this buying online - much prefer shops or the phone!!).

Yeah I did want to do the garrett route as they make great reliable turbos and shoehorning bigger parts into a machined nissan housing didn't appeal. The hks ones are pure extortion.

you are getting the compressor side and the turbine side confused.

it is bed o'clock for me. :rofl:

yeah that sounds about right for me lol! So turbine side is the air that will go into the car. compressor side is the exhaust side basically!

hang on I have that wrong - the turbine side is the side driven by exhaust gas and the compressor side is the bit that sucks the air in!

so my turbo:

compressor AR - 0.63

turbine (exhaust side) AR - 0.82

I've done some more reading and it seems the .63 is better for the gtst as it spools in the 4-7000rpm range - the .82 would be better suited to heavy cams and a high revving engine that does 9000rpm or even higher.

Seems this turbo is spot on.

The chap at realstreetperformance said garrett dont make a 5 bolt exhaust housing - its precision turbos who make that but seeing as I would need to make a turbo elbow up anyhow with 5 bolt flange then making one with a 4 bolt flange isn't really any more work.

Only things I really need to find are the stuff like the top mount manifold and ext. wgate really.

on a standard unopened RB25DET it should be making full boost well under 4000rpm with a 0.82 housing. if you check out the various threads in forced induction/RB25 dyno results you will see what people get out of a GT3076 with garrett housings.

You have your terminology all out of whack, firstly the easy to understand words, for the exhaust side call it either that or hot side, for the intake side once again call it that or compressor, everyone understands those and there self descriptive.

The exhaust housing side you go is based on two things, firstly how much power you want, that will also dictate what compressor side you go which will dictate what size exhaust housing you need, dont know how much power you are after but a .8 exhaust housing will flow enough to do well over 300rwkw, the intake on the other hand seems to be the limiting factor, most of the ones i see advertised are .7 or .8, now what this means it that if you change to a bigger front you will get more power at pretty the same rpm, if you change the rear to a .7 maybe even a .6 you will get the same power that the .6 front will give but at less rpm.

Hope this didnt confuse you more.

cheers guys well I'm gonna stick with this .63 turbine housing. I'm gonna get myself a top mount manifold and an ext. wgate. The only issue is getting the elbow and downpipe sorted out.

worp3d thanks for the explanation there about AR sizes - that did indeed help :blush:

lol, the turbine housing is a 0.82 you have yourself tied in a knot with the terminology.

an internally gated housing is cheaper to buy than all the other hardware (manifold and gate) but if you want the best boost control and cost isn't prohibitive then why not.

ps. England in the shite as we speak 2 for 17

The only issue is getting the elbow and downpipe sorted out.

I think what your referring to there is the front dump pipe (which is the smaller one with a 90 degree bend and o2 sensor in it)) and dump pipe (which is the longer one that joins to the cat) , when people mention the turbo elbow they normally mean the elbow that bolts to the compressor cover and joins to the intercooler piping.