SAU Community

Diff Oil And Gbox Oil

08r3308

hey pple i got some oil today to change in my r33

Castrol VMX 80 for gbox

Castrol LSX 90for diff

i hear few people use nulon g70 in gbox and diff ,(my gbox and diff are fine but apparently this additive makes it smoother) and wanted to know if this is ok to use in our diffs and gbox

Edited by 08r3308

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I realise this topic is a month old but how did you go with the Castrol in your RB25DET gearbox? I found it very dissapointing but found it worked fine in my SR20DET 5 speed previously. On a mountain run with the RB25DET gearbox I can get 3rd,4th and 5th crunching once it heats up. Not game to head to the track with it.

Edited by Mase

how much letres dose it take i put in about 4 and it made things worst and if i drain it about 2 letres left it feels way better, i used the nulon 75w90 and the g70 as well and when i go from gear 2 to 3 it crunches.

what oil is recommended and how much.

Somewhere in the vicinity of 3-4 litres fo fill up properly ive used redline shockproof and now have motul full synthetic with a lucas oil stabilizer its more important to change the oil reguarly rather then run it until the boxs are f**ked up because the oil wont undo damage that is present in ur gearbox. Any high quality synthetic oil should be suffiecient ive used both the motul and the shockproof i really think its much for muchnuss between those two in particuluar.

• 1 month later...

I am not sure now. I have done heaps of reading up on DIFF oil. But I am not sure what to use.

I have a R32 GTST factory VISCOUS LSD rear diff, but R33 GTST engine and box.

Some workshops recomend Motul Gear FF-LSD Type 2 Oil. But its not an active LSD, so it doesn't need the friction modifiers that 1.5 or 2 way LSD's need. The vicous oil that makes the LSD lock up it seperate to the other oil in the diff.

So do you a slippery oil to allow the diff to spin nicely and not wear, or do u need a sticker oil for the diff to stay lube'd up when u thrash it?

Otherworkshops recomend Castrol SAF-XA or LSX90 or Syntrax or EPX80w90 or VMX80.

Nissan recomend 75w90 oil for the gearbox, similarly the diff. So would running a 80w140 oil be bad?

Other's say that Redline lightweight shock proof is also good. But that stuff is very slippery and has had peoples diff's lock up too much around round abouts etc.

Motul 90PA Differential Oil is what I plan to get, its a good mineral oil, I don't know if fully synthetic is necessary for a factory VLSD.

Whats your opinion?

EDIT: The diff's are hypoid right, so do the oils need to specify that?

Edited by reNEGaDe88

Spoke to the Redline distributor for AUS. He said redline only do not advise the lightweight shockproof to be used with most gearbox's with synchro's as there are llegal litigation issues in the US for it. So to cover themselves they say that. However he says the lightweight shockproof oil is magic for skyline gearbox's. He has had a box that didn't shift, and with the redline oil it shifted perfectly after. He said the lightweight shock proof is 75w140 and is good for skylines that see a bit of track work. Box can be in good or bad condition and it will do wonders. Also its only mineral oils that are corrosive as they break down after time from heat and being worked into acids which eats the brass and bushings. Redline is fully synthetic, so it won't corrode ur box.

Also I have got some Motul Gear 300 oil for the diff. The stuff is 40$ per litre, but diff oil only needs to be changed every 80,000km, so its ok. I will let you boys know how it is.

The service manual recommends changing gearbox and diff oils at 40,000km intervals.

I changed my gearbox and diff oils for Motul Gear 300 at 40k, and although my gearbox was in perfect nick to start with it still improved the feel especially when cold. It was perfect up until at least ~85000km and now done almost 100k and it could probably do with changing again soon. Gear 300's fully synthetic so it should last well, I've only ever had problems going into 5th at high revs so for track work etc stick with 4 gears and it'll be sweet, or give it half a second before trying 5th!

Factory viscous LSDs don't need friction modified oils so Gear 300 is great for the diff too. Interesting about the Redline stuff, I had heard them say they don't recommend it but anecdotal evidence seemed to differ. I moved away from them based on a few things and went with the Motul, but if I had a worn box I would certainly try the Redline.

Hey, gonna get oils changed to:

gearbox - Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 and Diff - Castrol SAF-XA.

Just wondering how much i'll need to buy of each one?

Manual Transmission = Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 ---- 4L

Differential = Castrol SAF-XA ---- 2L

• 1 year later...

R34 GT-T did manual gearbox and diff oils just now - gearbox - Castrol VMX-80 and Diff - Castrol LSX-90.

Had a bit of metal filings in gearbox drain bolt, the mechanic told me its normal that happens when grinding gears - Is it?? Got me a bit worried.. Told me I might want to do a gearbox flush at a later stage???

Now the car just feels so amazing, crsip and very light, very easy to rev up and come on boost with much less effort..Big difference. Makes me think my old oil that I drained was quite old and restrictive..

I got the mechanic 4L of gearbox oil (VMX-80) and 2L of diff oil (LSX-90) from Supercheap, he says almost all is used, how do I trust him and how do I know they filled it to the top of the fill holes??

Well thats what we pay for in any service, I guess..cost me $60 labor..

unless you were there to see it getting changed not sure.

maybe he did not change oil at all , maybe he did.

if you dont trust him and think he didn't do the job properly , might be a wise idea to go out buy new oils and do it.

i guess only way to know for sure.

if you need help with new oil changes let me know i can help :devil: