SAU Community

Advice on which Audio Installer to go in VIC

HondaMania

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I don't own a Skyline but I hope it doesn't mean I can't post stuffs in this forum :(

I need an advice on which Audio Installer to go in VIC (Melbourne Metro preferred), that can do all of my plan below.

I am currently going to get a new Honda Accord Euro (due Nov), and this is my plan:

1. Change the stock speakers to either Boston Acoustics or Focal. The front will be the split system, the middle and the back will just be one piece.

2. Have a custom sub box made since I want to keep my boot space as big as possible.

3. I still have my 2 x 12" Phoenix Gold subwoofer I'm planning to keep for my new car.

4. Get Audison amp(s) to power up my speakers and subs.

Unfortunately I can't change the Head Unit because it's already integrated to the dash.

Do you guys have any other suggestions on which brand I should also look at? I've been told that I should go for Boston Acoustics FS60 for the front speakers, and Audison for the amps.

Upgrading the engine will be my next step, most probably the year after.

Thanks in advance for any adivce.

Originally posted by king_kw13

nice setup

I don't have any suggestions, but i know to stay away from JB, strathfield and autobarns for installs

Totally agree with you on that one. A mate of mine got JB to install his head unit. When I did some work on his car I found the the wires had been twisted and taped instead of soldered or joined with proper connectors. I had to rewire his head unit...

common trick they also is show a higher guage wire to the fire wall then they change it under your trim to really thin shit, but they charge u for the thick wire. Doggy.

try gary's car audio nadawading or in elthem.

patterson sound -blackburn

or get a mate to do it for who knowswhat his doing your job is not to big.

Does the stock Honda head unit have RCA out puts for the amp?

if not u will have to buy an inverter. x2 to get a 4chanel output in RCA format.

Or the amp could have this feature built in most do.

good luck

have and proplems send me a PM

i am currently Studing Electronic's.

Originally posted by SXY R33

Does the stock Honda head unit have RCA out puts for the amp?

I would have no idea until I actually get the car in Nov and have someone looked at it. I doubt it has any RCA output since it's integrated.

Here's the pic of the dash:

int_console.jpg

Thanks for the advice, I'll look up Gary's Car Audio and Patterson Sound.

yeah i would safely say that is does not have RCA out put, call honda dealer ship andask them. or go to a honda service centre and speak to a an auto elec.

it also may be that a lot or re-wiring to do, if the engine mangement messages go via the head unit. or special function of the car.

good luck

It would only be a matter of time before the industry finally catching up and offer a generic, faceless, audio head unit system with custom specific connection relays that will suit some of those makes and models like Accord Euro...

if ur amps dont have hi-level inputs (speaker wire) then u need a converter thing which costs about $10 at strathfield. it takes in ur 2 speaker wires, and outputs them as RCA signals.

I'd invest $70 or so in an equaliser aswell, as theres no sub out from ur headunit.

there's obviously a loss in quality (hi level inputs) but thats the only way to go about it as far as i can see.

as for front stage, check out this months issue of incar entertainment, they did an excellent review on 13 splits in ur price range. focal 165k2's came out best, but others like boston were up there. If i had the money, i'd go for that (focals). Boston, PG, DLS are other good choices too.

Amps, i'd stick with the audison if u have the $$ to get a nice enough amp to power ur subs adequetly.

Dont go to jb, strathfield autobarn or any place like that. go to someone who sells ur brands. Personally, i'd get the installation done myself and then if ur not good at making a box and stuff, get Gary's or someone to do it. But that's a rip off in my opinion, but what can u do.

I've got a 97 accord, the way im having my subs is a dual chamber box fitted in snugly all the way to the back and so most of the boot (to what u can get to) is still spare.

Originally posted by Nav2k

I've got a 97 accord, the way im having my subs is a dual chamber box fitted in snugly all the way to the back and so most of the boot (to what u can get to) is still spare.

Nav2k, Where did you get your box made? Can you send a pic of it so at least I'll have a general idea. I'm not after anything fancy as it's not for show :D

Originally posted by rs73

It would only be a matter of time before the industry finally catching up and offer a generic, faceless, audio head unit system with custom specific connection relays that will suit some of those makes and models like Accord Euro...

I totally agree with you. Most new cars have integrated audio in their dash nowadays. I mean it's okay if they give you one of the best audio system, but instead most of them are shit. :D

tell me about i looked at my dads new Audi and thats a bitch to get out, but the only positive thing is that the stock system is pretty good "Bose" :D But it has no subs, and i ant plaining to rip apart his car just to put a sub in.

i think car companies are doing this delebretly so we dont touch them

im in the process of re-building one now, ill show u after wednesday.

it'll only take a few hours to do, but after vinyl etc. and rest of boot, probably take the whole day.

best thing is find someone to build it for u, provide them with the $30 worth of wood and other materials, and buy them a pizza for lunch

works out a lot cheaper than what gary's car audio would do to snugly fit it in.

I was actually thinking of having fibre glass for the sub box to cut down the weight as my current sub box is bogging my civic down. I did have the box replaced with a lighter one a couple of months ago, but I can still feel the difference with and without the box on board. I guess fibre glass would cost a lot?

its strong, but u'd still need wood to support it from behind for the sub, so basically ur gonna have a lot of wood supporting the fiberglass anyway. My box weighs only about 2 or 3kg, its the subs that weigh about 5kg each in my boot. U need a box to be able to support the subs properly, and to do that u'll need quite a bit of fiberglass if u want to make it just out of that...it could be done....it'd cost a lot for sure.

all those custom boot installs u see in autosalon etc. r done by wood and just fiberglass moulding around it to make it look pretty.

Is it important to have a lining/layer of cotton inside the box? I saw somewhere on the internet (can't remember where) that it's necessary, but I fogot what for. My latest sub box doesn't have that, but it's a ported.

Which one is better anyway, closed box or ported box? What difference does it make?

Oh, and I've also been told that if your car is a sedan, you face the sub inside the cabin, but if your car is a coupe/hatchback, you face it into the boot. Is that true?

I've also seen a lot facing downwards in competition/show.

yeh the filling is just something to muffle the sound a bit so it feels more punchy kinda than bouncing off the barewood i think. i had it , and didnt like it so took it out, try it out, just use some filling from ur mums old cushions like i did :(

as for porting vs sealing, general rule of thumb, if u want tighter bass with more sound quality u'd go for sealing, and by that i mean complete seal, no air gaps at all etc. (this is what ive got) or porting u get way more bass or spl, but its very important to get the porting right, it needs to be very accurate to be done effectively. i dont know that much about porting and the tuning of the ports (ive read tutorials briefly, so i went for the sealed option). If you port it, follow ur subwoofer specification and make the volume slightly larger than for a sealed box.

for more info, check out www.caraudioaustralia.com and then the tutorials section.

if ur not sure about volumes, use the box volume calculator on caraudioaustralia aswell.

yes, firing them into the cabins r generally more effective.

Having the upside down is for free to air subs, or basically ur just a box (virtual box = whole boot). The quality would definetly be better in a box, but if ur working with 2 subs and u angle them so that the virtual volume is fairly the same...then u can get the same effect.

My accord, i went for sealed (air tight with some wall gap filler for the edges on the insides of the box) to the correct specifications of the subs, and theyre facing outwards (ie if u open the boot u'll see the subs face) .

remember to spend a bit of $$ on sound deadening. i havent done it to my accord cos im looking to sell this december, but ive put aside $250 to deaden the bootlid and doors. The quality will be 1000000000 times better trust me.

go with whatever sounds good to u though, its ur system, u'll be listening to it ,

borrow some friends already made sub boxes

(hell, even buy a box thats ported from jaycar, try it out and say "it didnt fit where i wanted it to, got anything smaller? no? ok ill just take my money back" )