SAU Community

Smic Wanted Bigger Than Gtt

KiwiRS4T

I want a side mounted intercooler for my S1 Stagea. I can get a GTT one but I want a larger one. I had a Trust smic but destroyed it in a smash. There is also an ARC one and a few other people make them. Urgently needed for my next Stagea coming next month. Willing to pay freight to NZ.

hey mate, pm tangles. he had a front mount using stock plumbing, you will have to front mount it but u dont have to cut ne thing...

im asuming this is that your worried about?

No its partly cost but also I want my car to look as stock as so no intercooler visible from the outside or when you lift the bonnet. I am only planning on 200-220AWKW - nearly got there with my last car and is my aim for my new car ( I have kept the GCG turbo, adjustable cam gear. exhaust etc but my Trust sidemount was destroyed in the crash). Of course i will need a front mount when I get the RB32 but that is years away given my current financial position!

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Hey Robert, have you seen/considered one of these? This is what I want to do to replace my stock '34 SMIC.

Dimensionally, it even looks like the stock SMIC. Proportionally... well I need someone to measure up a stock SMIC but since a few different sizes are available I think it would fit too with a custom mount perhaps...

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info.ph...46d20685e6f2a9f

liquid-air... advantages include very low boost drop/pressure loss, no heat soak in boost/stop driving, runs cooler etc.

Hey Robert, have you seen/considered one of these? This is what I want to do to replace my stock '34 SMIC.

Dimensionally, it even looks like the stock SMIC. Proportionally... well I need someone to measure up a stock SMIC but since a few different sizes are available I think it would fit too with a custom mount perhaps...

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info.ph...46d20685e6f2a9f

liquid-air... advantages include very low boost drop/pressure loss, no heat soak in boost/stop driving, runs cooler etc.

Very interesting. The makers actually suggest that you should mount them in the engine bay directly between the turbo and the inlet - thus cutting out quite a bit of piping. Then you have to mount the radiator somewhere so I guess you could mount it where the SMIC used to be.

However thus is not a "stealthy" solution so i guess you could mount it in place of the smic and put the radiator in the opposite guard (after all there is just a water line running between the units).

With the price of the US$ compared to the NZ$ this would not necessarily be a cheap solution (intercooler plus pump plus radiator). Maybe you can use a supercheap trans cooler as the radiator. I will be interested to see if you get a good result - it looks as though it has the potential to acheive good cooling. In the meantime I will have a look and see if this stuff is available here.

Interesting comments re. the liquid coolers... Jason I've looked at the PWR ones (look awesome) but they're pretty expensive. Plus I read that barrel-style ones don't have as good a flow as the radiator-style ones (or was it cooling capacity at a given size? bah can't remember). I was making enquiries about shipping costs, probably gonna be astronomical due to the Aussie dollar atm.

edit: oh about mounting them in the engine bay Robert... yeah you could save like a metre of piping! Should make the induction system the most responsive it can possibly be, HAS to be more responsive than a massive front-mount with about 2 metres total pipe length! Could mount the heat exchanger right on the inlet manifold and paint it black... barrels especially good for this... wouldn't even be overly noticeable. I think I'd mount mine in the SMIC position, as it looks like it would be so similar to the original SMIC that it might just fit up to the factory pipes, and stock there isn't toooo much piping so pretty responsive, and completely unseen from the engine bay (look stock).

Edited by DaveB

Hallelujah! I have found a Nismo SMIC the same capacity as my previous Trust one (24% more than the R34GTT one) for $100. Motoring seems to be cheaper here - if that dead Stagea for sale above was here i could get it re-engined for $2000 and it would be a great car.

Dave I put a wanted ad on TradeMe and after about 2 weeks got the call! I'll leave the ad there in case another one turns up as they are pretty rare -probably because they would cost about $1000 to import and people would just get a front mount. I would guess that this and my previous Trust one came fitted on second hand imports and were replaced here with fmic.

Wisey I am due to pick it up next weekend as I am going down to the South Island to pick up my new S1 and the smic is also in the South Island and I happen to be going through their town!

I will post up pictures of the Nismo one and also my (stuffed) Trust one for people's interest. There was a nice looking ARC one in the Skyline parts for sale on this forum but that was $600 (would have cost me NZ$800+ by the time I got it over here) but it sold very quickly anyway ... possibly because it seems that in some States a fmic hanging out the front of your car leads to unwanted attention from the cops.

Hmm, doesn't look much larger physically (if any) to the R34/S2 stagea one? I guess it much be though. It would certainly be an easy way to upgrade my cooler to use one of these. For a decent side-mount upgrade (say 20% or so?) I would be willing to pay a couple of hundred. Otherwise I think I will try the water-air option (heat soak on hot days is noticeable atm).