SAU Community

Raising My Exhaust

75coupe

I have a HKS super drager 3.5" I want to lift the centre baffle/muffler (whichever it is) at least a half inch so it doesn't scrap as easily on speed humps, was considering rewelding (MIG) the middle mount alittle shorter, but its probably stainless, I know the rear is, but what about the pipe, I've never looked closely. Stainless you reckon? of course it would be yeah...

I've used the MIG on alloy, that kinda sucks to begin with, is stainless just as annoying at first?

Now I have gas for mild steel but not having done stainless on MIG I'll probably go for a flux core stainless wire, I know shielded wire looks and goes on heaps better, but I don't want to have to new gas just for one job...

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a stick (arc) welder or can borrow one i would recommend buying some rods called "allweld" rods i use them with my mates welder and there fkn great. They're made to weld stainless to non-stainless but work great for anything. dont know if you can get it for a MIG but i would be surprised if you couldn't.

If you have a stick (arc) welder or can borrow one i would recommend buying some rods called "allweld" rods i use them with my mates welder and there fkn great. They're made to weld stainless to non-stainless but work great for anything. dont know if you can get it for a MIG but i would be surprised if you couldn't.

So if i read this right, you can get different rods for an arc welder to weld anything, does this include alloy, if so how good are the results?

you can get rods to weld stainless and alloy with an arc. But to weld alloy you require a DC arc welder. Most household units are AC. As Project-GT4-TT said, allweld make electrodes to weld stainless to mild steel as well as standard stainless rods

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

If you have a "gas" type MIG welder, I use 316 stainless steel 0.8mm wire with BOC light52 argo mix. This gas is really used for mild steel light sections but as long as you have Pickling paste (AKA acid), It cleans up a treat!

I do a few hand rails and I used to use 2.5mm 316 stainless steel electrodes.

I find that the MIG is faster and easier to clean up but if your joints are tight, electrodes do a pretty good job as well.

My 2 cents worth,

Cheers,

JC