SAU Community

Rb26 Or Rb 30

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....some like racing cars...others like stacking pallets...

Gold lol

From what I can see it's horses for courses. For instance, Mark and Russ ran a high reving full counter 2.6 for the short track work and from memory the next combo is 3.0l set up for longer or full length tracks. For me I'm still stuck between a 2.8 and 3.0.

Some like pepsi...others like coke...

some like racing cars...others like stacking pallets...

who cares...pick an engine and love it, flog it to death, have some fun and scare the sh1t out of your mates with it.

I love the RB engine from RB20 to RB30... :sick:

Nice - won't argue with that :P

Even the RB25 i just built for NYTSKY matched torque figures with a 400KW 2JZ...its not what you build but how you build it. Just because you use a bigger bottom end does not save it from being a bucket of sh1t.

Wait till i get into the RB30's...ill have a few surprises im sure.

Yeah absolutely :( Will be good to see how you go with them! The obvious point taste aside is all things being equal the bigger motor will always make more power and torque easier.

the reasons im not building a 3L for my r32 gtr is

-defects in Adelaide is a flamin mongrel

-need std looking block, could prob get away with re stamping the number

-need sump adapter

-not much room height wise in a gtr for the taller block and sump adapter

the reasons im not building a 3L for my r32 gtr is

-defects in Adelaide is a flamin mongrel

-need std looking block, could prob get away with re stamping the number

-need sump adapter

-not much room height wise in a gtr for the taller block and sump adapter

- Sux i guess...

- Shouldn't be too hard...just dont tell um it's a 3.0

- There's a a couple people who do that

- I thought that all you had to do was remove a small amount of the frame from the hood to get it to fit

- Sux i guess...

- Shouldn't be too hard...just dont tell um it's a 3.0

- There's a a couple people who do that

- I thought that all you had to do was remove a small amount of the frame from the hood to get it to fit

the issue is here the "pits" are full on, like getting mirrors to check numbers on turbos and everything, if there wasn't that part and we just got roadworthy like anywhere i would do it in an instant.

Now, I'm probably a little bit bias because I build mostly RB30s but I have driven a fair few pretty high power 26s and to me, in my opinion, they just don't compare, not even close, in fact some of the higher power street 26 GTRs I know of (500-600wkw) are actually quite slow on the strip.

I am yet to find a "down side" to the 30s, we pull 9000-10,000rpm, we make far more torque, they have better response, better drivability and they are far quicker at any given power level with a stock type transmission.

A real good 30 is really no more expensive to build than the same spec 26, we've "been there and done that" with so many RB30 4wd's there are no "pain in the ass jobs" or anything you need to leave off of miss out on having.

I find, and its just my opinion, that alot of big single 26 guys love the rpm and love the big hit of top end power and genuinly believe that what they have makes for a very quick car on the street or strip, that a similar spec 30 couldn't keep up with, in most cases I'm sure they'd find in a side by side race at the strip, all things being equal, the similar spec 30 would be pulling away with ease even though it may not "feel" as quick or impress your mates as much when you go for a thrash.

Someone earlier on said, just pick one, go for it, love it and thrash it and untill you have actually driven a few combinations of both and are in a position to make up your own mind as to what suits you, don't say the other is shyte.....

Just my 2c.

Rob

Someone earlier on said, just pick one, go for it, love it and thrash it and untill you have actually driven a few combinations of both and are in a position to make up your own mind as to what suits you, don't say the other is shyte.....

Just my 2c.

Rob

That was me who said that Robbie...good to see we actually do agree on something.

What pistons do you recommend i use in my RB30 build up?

For me personally, I do not want a mongrol engine in my pure-bred Jap sports car. An RB30 is just like a pig, it is a dirty animal, put it in a clean environment and it is much better, but it is still a dirty smelly pig!

How is that for a pot stir? 2.6L all the way.

lets see you rev a rb30 over 12,000rpm !!!!!!
I didn't question ability of either engine. The idea of owning one does not interest me so why would I want to be in a car powered by one?

If you can do the same thing, as in make good power and run good times, with either capacity (i.e. either block) then what is the big deal? It is a personal choice which way to do it. There is just a bit more pride and class doing it with the original capacity.

Mike

Your opinion, that is what these forums are for.

More power and torque earlier, fair enough. But the same times on a drag strip and/or circuit can be achieved either way, so, again as I said, it is a personal choice.

if u want torque go buy a v8, u want a race engine that was designed for racing.... rb26

LOL these guys are amazing.

you have half trying to argue science with personal choice.

listen guys.......your all more then happy to say why you like the rb26. but dont argue its better then a rb30. because its not.

you may think "its a pig" you may think it dosnt "rev to 12,000rpm" (which is the stupidest thing ever because we all know this guy dosnt even know anything about going fast).

you guys may even think that a rb26 can do just as good as a rb30.

but ill all tell you this.

a rb30 will make more power, quicker, faster, easier. its that simple. it WILL make more power on a dyno, it will go around a circuit faster, it will even leave u going wtf around a drift track.

plain and simple its better.

for all you idiots trying to argue that its not. here have wat you have said.

its personal choice....which translates to i dont really have a real reason i just wanna show my pride for the rb26

dosnt want a mongol engine in his pure bred car........its a RB30.....Racebred....its the same shit.

thinks rb26s can do the same thing.......thats like saying a rb20 can do what a rb26 can do, sure it can.....but why would you try when you can just spend less money, less time, less everything and use a rb26? basically jacks logic

basiclly for everyone that wants to know the answer to their dilemma about going rb30 or rb26. the ONLY reason for going rb26 is because you either have a personal thing for the rb26...pride, joy, past histroy.......fine. but youll be picking the rb30 because it shits on the rb26 in every way shape and form.

/rant

Edited by VB-

Go a 3L, more displacement means your guaranteed to make more power, torque etc. I personally haven't driven a RB26DETT but have been in one that makes some decent power and looking at what other blokes have done with the RB30DET/T's with less mods have made more power.

I have a 26/30 combo in my R31 (naturally aspirated) but it's still the same principal, I'm still running standard cams (R33 GT-R S2) and it doesn't have a problem revving to 6500 - 7000 rpm, then if you bolt a turbo to the side plus cams and bam, 400+ rwkw

Sorry I'm a bit late on this one but here is my 2c...

I have a 32 gtr with nothing much done to it. My mate has a vl commodore with a rb30et in it, and I know someone else with an rb30 with a rb20 head (in a stripped out vl that gets raced). My mates vl has more mods than mine but when we have a race and it is the same. The guy with the rb20 head is quicker than us (but has more mods) but for the money and effort I don't think it was worth it. My other friend with a gtr that has had a few mods (but still not the dollar spent on it as the vl with the rb20 head) is only just behind the vl with the rb20 head. My mates rb30 power comes on sooner, mine later (I don't care cause I don't race cars with only 3000 rpm on my tacho). For a light to medium tune I would just stick with what is in the car. I really don't think it matters, each to there own. I wouldn't worry swapping heads on a rb30 either. vl's have been doing 9 sec quarters for a very long time without swapping heads, spend the money somewhere else. I think they both the same, look how many ppl love there rb30 and how many love there rb26. Just my 2c not saying its right or wrong, I just don't think there are any great gain from one over the other.

Ps sorry if it is a bit hard to read I know it jumps around a bit.

If you want to know more about rb30's go to http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/

GTR and VL are completely different cars

the SOHC will not rev as well as the DOHC

yes theres some seriously fast SOHC vls going around

but if your going to put it into a GTR, u want the better head + stick with the standard loom

cost less, works better = win?

my concern is that I am assuming you need to use the VL block for the extra deck height correct ? Or will the 26 block accept the 30 crankshaft ? If that is the case how do you go legally putting in a block from an 86 - 87 model car into a late 90's car and registering for the street ? Whenever I tried to do a conversion with an older block I always ran into nightmares. Then you get other problems with the increased deck height as Radiator is now sitting lower - need for a header tank so we dont get good ole VL turbo cracked head as was common with them. My choice would be 2.8 litre stroker. Still using standard block keeping things simple. That being said the 30 would be an awesome street motor !!

Less chance of it bogging down off boost

my concern is that I am assuming you need to use the VL block for the extra deck height correct ? Or will the 26 block accept the 30 crankshaft ? If that is the case how do you go legally putting in a block from an 86 - 87 model car into a late 90's car and registering for the street ? Whenever I tried to do a conversion with an older block I always ran into nightmares. Then you get other problems with the increased deck height as Radiator is now sitting lower - need for a header tank so we dont get good ole VL turbo cracked head as was common with them. My choice would be 2.8 litre stroker. Still using standard block keeping things simple. That being said the 30 would be an awesome street motor !!

Less chance of it bogging down off boost

if the crank fits in a 25/26 block could stop pistons mashing the head with a spacer/sandwhich plate, worked for my l18 with an l20 crank

otherwise ?rd28 crank? and its close enough to legal :)

If your builiding the car for street use you simply cannot go past the 30... Simple as that.

And for all you pure breds out there - get with it, the RB30 has been mated with all RB's with great results. Like it has been said before if you can have more power & more torque earlier why not?

Also for all who are saying lets see it rev to 12,000 rpm - that is ridiculous as we are talking about a STREET car, do you rev your car to 12,000 rpm on the street - I would hazard a guess you wouldnt get near or even need 10,000 rpm.

Look at superjet760 - as if you would say no to that!!!

My 2 cents...

and how often can you actually use 553kw atw on the street.. all the skylines ive been are capable of losing your licence in 2nd gear.. including my stock as rb20, and it even scrables for traction.. so why is reving to 12000 rpm ridiculous??

look at the R32 GTR paul from hunter thomas auto owns.. it made 553kw at the wheels using twins and standard capacity... and it was waaaay to much for a street/circuit car so he mucked around with the turbos and found the perfect mix of torque and power.. now its making 400kw but its all usable.

the bathurst gtr's didnt need 3L either. and they are only 450kw monsters.

turbos are the replacment for displacment... thats why we love our jap cars. we have been troncing falcodores for over 20 years... why now do we need to go to 3L all of a sudden.

power isnt everything.. the funnest cars on the road are the ones you have to ring the neck out of to get anything, like little NA engines.

Edited by NZM.031

Superjet's car is as laggy than mine...and mines not running any timing or boost control which really should make my car a pig. Ive actually got 50KW more power through the midrange!

and im running an 1100hp single turbo with less boost!

Id have to agree with you Linton...i took my car for a run yesterday...1.23 Bar of boost...left me shaking my head when i got out...very dangerous power for the street.

Edited by DiRTgarage

Superjet's car is as laggy than mine...and mines not running any timing or boost control which really should make my car a pig. Ive actually got 50KW more power through the midrange!

and im running an 1100hp single turbo with less boost!

Haha maybe you are just discovering than twin turbos AREN'T actually better than a good single :) Twin GT3037s also probably flow similar to or more than a GT4508R..