SAU Community

Frustration... I Mean Registration >.<

Rowdy

G'day guys,

i've recently gotten into a bit of a pickle with my '92 gts-t. i bought the car recently off a guy i work with, without roadworthy or reg. it was pretty cheap, and he had owned it and it had been registered since 99. before he sold it to me the rego lapsed.

anyway, ive taken possesion of it and fixed a few things, then taken it for a RWC (passed) and a rego appointment. everything was going swimmingly, the numbers on the car and the plates on the firewall where matching, and the new number plates where on the bench ready to be handed over when something went all pear shaped and the plates where quickly snatched out of my reach >.<

apparently, the vehicle was not on one of theyre databases, and the vehicle had previously been registered with uncomfirmed numbers. so the woman told me she had entered the numbers but it would take 24 hours for them to clear and i should come back later.

i went down yesterday, only to have the woman tell me that my car had NEVER recieved import compliance, and therefore could NEVER be registered. i asked how that could be because it had been registered previously, and she just kept reffering to some magical computer glitch in 1999.

i went home and rang the guy who sold it to me, who said it didnt need import compliance because it was a personal import. i looked all this up, and checked out the plate on the car, and sure enough its all true. the plate signifies the vehicle is able to be registered, right?

so today i went down to vic roads again, and they spent another half hour investigating, before they come up with this idea that my vehicles forms where never lodged with DOTARs because the importer was dodgy and he didnt own the vehicle overseas before importing it.

what do i do!

now the woman wants me to photograph the yellow personal import plate and email it to her. im starting to get really frustrated with this horrible process. ffs.

any advice or info would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks very much, Rowdy.

If it's got a yellow plate on it, you're fine. They're probably checking the DoTaRS system to see if it was complied under SEVS, which will turn up a blank. Stick with it, you'll get it sorted out.

PS, next time get your mate to re-register it, THEN sell it to you :D

Edited by Iron Chef

If it's got a yellow plate on it, you're fine. They're probably checking the DoTaRS system to see if it was complied under SEVS, which will turn up a blank. Stick with it, you'll get it sorted out.

PS, next time get your mate to re-register it, THEN sell it to you :D

thanks mate,

good to have a bit of encouragement from someone in the game.

not a possibility of fraud?

and i will be next time >.<

Because personal imports, in relative terms, are fairly rare, most grunts at your local RTA will have no idea how to treat them when they see one come over their desk. Eventually someone who knows what they are doing will handle it. The photo of the plate should solve it, I'd suspect.

Because personal imports, in relative terms, are fairly rare, most grunts at your local RTA will have no idea how to treat them when they see one come over their desk. Eventually someone who knows what they are doing will handle it. The photo of the plate should solve it, I'd suspect.

thanks mate. you have no idea how much ive been stressing over this hah ha.

i suspected ignorance from the outset... dromana isnt really an import hotbed. its more of a nursing home bed :P

• 3 weeks later...

dont worry it happens in QLD too. I had to go through this when I registered my subaru. same thing. they couldnt find it and then wanted to see the plate. drove the car up there with said plate and they queried more then someone else got involved and it went through.

i had a similar prob when registering my R33 7 months ago... lady was swearing black and blue that it was a personal import as it was for personal used and no matter how hard i tired telling her that it was imported through a dealer and complied she wouldnt have a bar of it... In the end i had to get the compliancer on the phone to speak with the RTA scrag and get the shit sorted... but yeah it was all good after that =]

hey guys, thanks for your support.

i got an email from the vic roads wench on friday, after they stuffed me around for a couple of weeks, saying that my car had was able to be registered but now has to go for a 'high risk' inspection. what the hells that? so im taking it up on friday to seaford vic roads, and im sure something else is going to go wrong (i.e. a team of engineers waiting to defect everything bar the ashtray).

anyone know what that involves?

cheers, Rowdy.

do not let them convince you that the car needs to be complied (or needed to be complied). if it's a personal import all that is required is the engineers sign off and basic rego items in the first place. then after that there should be no problems. make them understand the differences between the different import schemes (SEVS, old CPA scheme, old 15 year scheme, new pre "89 scheme, and personal import scheme). If you don't understand those differences yourself spend some time reading up on the DOTARS site and the import section of SAU.

I would say though that the check is most likely a check to ensure the car is not a rebirth/stolen car. in NSW they (the RTA) do this all the time. Vehicle Identity Check. They just make sure the car is not cut and shut, and that numbers have not been tampered with etc.