SAU Community

White Smoke On Full Boost

lcy

Hi guys,

I am having some white-ish(theres a mix of white and black smoke) smoke coming out from my exhaust when i hit full boost. Read a few threads but all seems to point to the turbo seal.

The turbo on my car is a brand new HKS turbo hence i dont think it will be the turbo seal. No smoke of any kind when it is idling. Just on boost, you can see a cloud of smoke.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks inadvance!! :cool:

Hi guys,

I am having some white-ish(theres a mix of white and black smoke) smoke coming out from my exhaust when i hit full boost. Read a few threads but all seems to point to the turbo seal.

The turbo on my car is a brand new HKS turbo hence i dont think it will be the turbo seal. No smoke of any kind when it is idling. Just on boost, you can see a cloud of smoke.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks inadvance!! :cool:

Aren't you supposed to do a break in before going full boost with your new turbo? Problem might not be with the turbo seals but the other oil seals in you engine. Since the new turbo would be pushing more pressure, those seals might have gotten worn out faster than expected.

Erm the turbo has already been on the car for 3 months now. Fully tuned and been driving it with no problems. Just realise theres a huge cloud of smoke from the exhaust when i hit full boost.

White smoke when car is cold = evaporating water condesation

White smoke when accelerating = oil < from turbo, oil rings >

Blue smoke if what desiels blow normally,

Black smoke is octane. Either over fueling or not enough spark.

Is it making same power as before. If its just has a rich tune or lack of tune and is running rich it will blow black smoke = over fuel.

Thats fine.

post-40804-1236922154_thumb.png

Is it making same power as before. If its just has a rich tune or lack of tune and is running rich it will blow black smoke = over fuel.

Thats fine.

I am having some problems with my tune. send it back twice and the engine light is still popping out on low boost 0.85 bar(10 psi?) Havent been driving on high boost.

This is the dyno graph and i reckon its a bit a rich side. Black residue all over my bumper and garage door. And also i did have lots of misfiring problems with even with new plugs and splitfires.

Turbo oil seals.

Otherwise, engine issues (rings, etc)

Daniel has alot of experience with this :banana: ey daniel lol.

normally id be going straight for the turbo seals but being a new turbo that makes it abit unlikly that the seals are failing already,but anythings possible right!?

if the smoke is a white/grey colour under boost then check your cooler and intake piping for blow-by, check your catch can (or get one if you don't have one) and do a wet and dry comp test on your motor checking for consistency and drop differences.

after this you will have an indication if the problem is your motor or your turbo.

Edited by dmr