SAU Community

Message From Neil

Nene260RS

Its good to see SAPOL help, rather then going nuts on imports, that probably would promote more

bad behavior. Good to see people have some brains :P

buying my skyline was one of the best things i did, and mine is pretty much stock

Good to see normal skyline drivers wont be hassled...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the funniest part about this, is u have all these import drivers getting scared of police, and buying shitbox daily's for less than 1k, spending most their time on the road with these rusted out shitboxes with tiny brakes and shitty tyres, and their expensive cars are sitting in the garage which have been regularly maitained, running big sticky tyres, big brakes as well as many safety features u get with the more expensive cars.

system failure? i think so.

I love this too. Everyone jumping into the KE70 bandwagon thinking "cops won't pick on me Rolla's are sleeper as". Lol, cops aren't stupid, they can see your 14x8 -20 rims.

The 100% innocent comment that he was banned for never mentioned his name, it had nothing to do with SLED. This is the post that he was banned for:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=4511506

He was banned on the grounds that Sled thought the post was subliminally directed at him as a mod.

You be the judge.

it had absolutely NOTHING to do with that post....furthermore, stay out of this and mind your own business.

He has already complained to other Mods about me and they are 100% behind me....they agreed that he should've been banned a long time ago!

No more discussion on the subject!

Its illegal if its a blatantly unsafe mod, but there is a grey area where most mods fall into ... something we need discussion on with an expert like Neil.

Why do you keep going on about some grey area? The rules are HARD AND FAST tight on legal and illegal light vehicle modifications from DOTARS in Canberra. There is no grey area in this, and a member of SAPOL is certainly NO EXPERT in the matter, which is why they refer it to TRANSPORT SA at Regency. They are the judge of fact in road legality in South Australia. All SAPOL can do is tell you what pricks their ears up to defect your car. With all due respect to Neil I wouldnt expect him to have a clue about the maximum Carbon Monoxide for an IM240 drive cycle, thats for a transport inspector, not a police officer.

Anyways, I'd like to see Neil get on this forum and get a "Ask Neil" thread sticky happening. Of course, there'd be no one answer fits all solution, but I'm sure his advice will 'guide' you to what is and isn't an unsafe modification.

He MAY be able to guide you through the right things to say to avoid a defect station canary, but in terms of DOTARS ADR modification standards, I would rely on the words of an engineer, as this simply isnt part of the SAPOL training :P

So how many of you guys were expecting Neil to say they WILL be targeting cars who ARE NOT breaking the law?

this threads attracting new comers :P hows it going. ^ i think thats what you were trying to say, tis a valid point. but i was expecting him to not say anything.

He MAY be able to guide you through the right things to say to avoid a defect station canary, but in terms of DOTARS ADR modification standards, I would rely on the words of an engineer, as this simply isnt part of the SAPOL training :)

I think Martin hit the nail on the head there. Officer Neil can only give us advice on suspect defects, not the full run of ADR's applied to automotive manufacture and modification.

Obviously a few people have forgotten why Nene and Ruby went to have a meeting with officer Neil, it wasn't to make us a protected species, but more to get some clarification on a few points and make him aware of us as a club of sorts, and not the Hoon name we have been labled with so many times.

I say a big thanks to Nene and to Officer Neil for keeping the correspondence going, especially after the happenings last weekend.

Its illegal if its a blatantly unsafe mod, but there is a grey area where most mods fall into ... something we need discussion on with an expert like Neil.

I am a little confused exactly what mods reside in this grey area? Its either illegal or its not. Its in black and white.

Using Neil to clarify is for the lazy man.

IMO we should do some reading and research our selves and if require further clarification speak to Regency Vehicle standards. Its only a phone call away.

---

With regards to Neils message.

May be true for normal hours of the day, but be seen out 'cruising' on a Friday or Saturday night out of 'normal' hours and you may find your self pulled over just to see what your up to.

:)

Edited by TheRogue

I am a little confused exactly what mods reside in this grey area? Its either illegal or its not. Its in black and white.

IMO we should do some reading and research our selves and if require further clarification speak to Regency Vehicle standards. Its only a phone call away.

Problem is that many members keep mentioning how they get a different answer for the same problem all the time. This was pointed out to SAPOL at our meeting. Our plan of attack is more upstream than Regency, to the cops issuing the defects in the first place. Neil has confirmed with Nene and myself that police are being better trained to remove some of the 'guesswork' out of defecting cars.

The 'grey area' I speak of concerns defects which are not deemed unsafe, but they'd like to see evidence that the part/mod was carried out correctly and safely. An example are my coilovers. I discussed this across the table with Neil using my car as the guinea pig. There really is no law that says coilovers are illegal, but we also know the cops/Regency are not a fan of them. I commented to Neil that I have coilovers, but even the slightest change in ride height and I take my car to a reputable wheel aligner/front end mechanic and have them check it out and ensure its all fitted correctly and safely, and a 4 wheel alignment is performed. Documentation is kept in the car. Neil advised that I'd hit the nail on the head, and that is what they'd like to see. Things done safely. Ultimately, its up to the officer at the time inspecting your car, but if you show evidence of the modification being carried out professional then you have a greater chance of being treated fairly ... rather than trying to lie your way out of a defect.

And no, having a workshop fit a GT3582R and carrying the paperwork, prob won't get you out of that defect :)

:rant:

Edited by RubyRS4

May be true for normal hours of the day, but be seen out 'cruising' on a Friday or Saturday night out of 'normal' hours and you may find your self pulled over just to see what your up to.

Nothing new there. Doesn't matter what car you drive, they have always done randoms in off peak traffic.

There really is no law that says coilovers are illegal, but we also know the cops/Regency are not a fan of them. I commented to Neil that I have coilovers, but even the slightest change in ride height and I take my car to a reputable wheel aligner/front end mechanic and have them check it out and ensure its all fitted correctly and safely, and a 4 wheel alignment is performed. Documentation is kept in the car. Neil advised that I'd hit the nail on the head, and that is what they'd like to see. Things done safely.

If only that was the view of Regency. :)

Height adjustable coil overs are illegal as the 'adjustable' coil over is a major load carrying component that is a different design to factory. Ride height adjustment via the means of lowered springs and shocks is no issue at all.

Swapping a factory coil over (skylines run coil overs factory) for an aftermarket non height adjustable coil over is legal as its 'design' is the same.

Unfortunately swapping out major load carrying components to a different design is a no go UNLESS it was an option from the original manufactures for that particular make/model.

:rant:

Edited by TheRogue

Coil overs are legal is you destroy the adjustable side of things and weld them at a legal height. not sure if they need to be engineer certified aswell though.

i actually carry my defect notices in the car with me along with my engineers report, it provides a good basis if theres some confusion about wether somethings legal. just so i can point out what regency have said is ok might not be law but it could help.

just remember to do it in a polite manner :)

---

With regards to Neils message.

I find if i do the right thing the cops just follow me for a while b4 getting bored and taking off. multiple times i have been followed down random backstreets that lead to my house and they eventaully just leave me alone.

Coil overs are legal is you destroy the adjustable side of things and weld them at a legal height. not sure if they need to be engineer certified aswell though.

According to the black and white its not. :)

Some or all inspectors may be happy enough to bend the rules but technically If the strut is designed differently to that of the factory its illegal.

EDIT: Just rang vehicle standards.. Definitely not legal to weld em up.

Edited by TheRogue

Probably time to lock this Mods. Ill make a new thread when i have more contact with Neil

Yeah ... lock it. Alot of this could have been in the defect thread.

I'm guilty of it too ;)