SAU Community

R33 Projectors?

LUME

getting a hid conversion and was thinking of doing the projector conversion and jsut wondering how these would mate up from anyones previous experience with taking theyre headlaights apart

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PROJECTOR-LEN-KIT-A...%3A1|240%3A1318

just curious i think projectors look awesome on 33's

but only way is to do it is yourself

thanks in advance

Edited by LUME

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

getting a hid conversion and was thinking of doing the projector conversion and jsut wondering how these would mate up from anyones previous experience with taking theyre headlaights apart

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PROJECTOR-LEN-KIT-A...%3A1|240%3A1318

just curious i think projectors look awesome on 33's

but only way is to do it is yourself

thanks in advance

Actually, I have been looking into this product for several days. Still thinking if get one. This projector kit comes with HID inside. And pretty sure it will fit in H4 or H7 without drilling holes. It would be installed into the socket for globe. But I still doubted if it has a H1 kit. Coz H1 socket is so small which just fit a globe. It would be very hard to find a room for this projector. If you have already got one and get ready to do it, just let me know your experience or put some big pics of that kit. Thanks. mate

This is not an easy mod, especially dont properly.

For a good idea of what you will need to look here:

There are 4 parts so watch them all.

This is not an easy mod, especially dont properly.

For a good idea of what you will need to look here:

There are 4 parts so watch them all.

what he looking for from ebay is different from what you saw from youtube. In youtube, it is a projector removed from a stock headlight and you have to fit it into your headlight. So you have to cut, drill and do something to fit it. But the products from ebay is like a convention kit and what you need to do just open your headlight and screw it to your globe socket. I just wonder if they could be screwed in H1 socket coz it is pretty small.

what he looking for from ebay is different from what you saw from youtube. In youtube, it is a projector removed from a stock headlight and you have to fit it into your headlight. So you have to cut, drill and do something to fit it. But the products from ebay is like a convention kit and what you need to do just open your headlight and screw it to your globe socket. I just wonder if they could be screwed in H1 socket coz it is pretty small.

Be careful with them mate because its not one size fits all, there will definitely need to be mods to the reflector to fit.

• 1 year later...

Heres a H1 Kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3RD-PROJECT...sQ5fAccessories

Is this just a matter of removing the cover of the headlights fitting this lens into the existing H1 hole and re-sealing the headlight? (and then doing the wiring required)

EDIT:

Just found this! http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=4696 looks like an easy conversion:

The kit myself and Mitch utilized is a bolt in design so there is no cutting to be done to the reflector or headlight housing itself. Just remove your headlight assembly and place it in the oven at the indicated temperature and duration on some moistened pieces of 2x4 and proceed to separate them gently but firmly. Wear some good leather gloves for this. Then, once they are apart you can begin work.

The end of the projector is threaded and fits through the existing bulb hole. A bulb base emulator ring goes on first then a locking ring followed by a threaded retainer ring that secures the assembly to the housing. Hid bulb fit's in the back of it and secures via a similar threaded retainer. The main difference between our two installations is I used a chrome shroud around the projection assembly to hide the reflector around it as much as possible for a cleaner look.

Orienting the cut-off horizontally was tricky on my housing as the h4 sockets were off a few degrees from vertical. So, I had to grind the sides of the tabs on the emulator ring down towards the direction I wanted to tilt the beam pattern.

I ended up having to cut off about half of the tabs lengthwise to make it correct. Once that was finished I mounted the projection lens into the reflector and then proceeded to shape the shroud to fit around the lens assembly and into the reflector housing. It was secured to the reflector housing around it's perimeter with high temp rtv sealant. No adhesive was placed between the shroud and projector should there ever be a need to remove the assembly in the future.

Re-assembling the headlights were done the same way they were separated. Place both halves of the headlight in the oven, pull out after time duration then push em together.

The main advantage to doing this is you are not blinding anyone with an exposed arc and you have much more control over the emitted light.

Edited by MintR33

i remember seeing seeing a thread about how to retrofit your r33 headlights to projectors. i think the guy used e34 projectors, as he said they bolt in fairly easily. i know u can get angel eyes for the beamers fairly easily, so you could just put those units in

have a search, heres one of the links i found

check here

We should just organise a group buy and custom design something through TRS or Lightwerkz in the States. (www.lightwerkz.net www.theretrofitsource.com)

Something completely new and different with dual projectors and a carbon fibre backing or something. I'm sure we could get the numbers for it since most of us would like some different looking headlights since there is f**k all available for R33's.

Edited by PM-R33

yep group buy would be great... projectors for 33s has been brought up many times I reckon we could easily get 10+ people involved... maybe we could make it a part of the group buy to send a headlight to someone who can fabricate the surrounds...

anyone got some time to look into this, Ive watch some retrofit videos but Im sure there are more knowledgeable people than I..

Edited by 75coupe

If people were serious about this I could organise something as I have looked into it quite a bit. There is one mob in Australia that I know of and the two main guys in the US that I posted above.

The main problem I see with doing it, is sending all the headlights to them in the US with freight charges. The actual cost of them doing it to say 5-10 kits isn't actually that much for dual projectors.

So it may be easier to do them in Aus, however I don't know how much customising they can do compared to the US.

I ideally would want to put a set of headlights in the oven to remove the plastic. Send the plastic to get moulds done for brand new covers that are perfectly clear and don't go yellow. Then send them all of our headlights to get dual projectors put in with a carbon fibre backing instead of the silver and maybe a couple of small LED's for parkers instead of the gay side ones. For people like myself that want to shave off the side indicators, some small LED's could be added to the side as indicators aswell.

Edited by PM-R33

Interesting, havn't heard of them; there's another possibility than.

Look obviously the numbers are there. I would rather pay $1000 for something unique with modern projectors/HID's/LED's etc than $1000-$1500 for a factory new set.

F**k it, I'll start looking into it this week and see what I can come up with. I gotta look into the carbon fibre indictor/foglight surrounds anyway, I suppose one more thing won't hurt lol.

Edited by PM-R33

Having dual projectors would just be pointless? Reason why you have reflector's for high beam is so it spreads the light and you can see more of a surrounding, it would just be for the style but very pointless.