SAU Community

Motor Oils

910trx

Guys and girls

i have an rb25det neo in a stagea which needs an oil change - i have just bought the car so this it the first time i have had to touch it.

ive driven it for 2000kms since owning it because of the belief it had been serviced just prior by the previous owner.

basically i want to do a filter swap and new oil, then another 2000kms do the same, then start the 5000km change process so every 5 or 0 on the odo means a service

i drive no more than 5kms to work from overnight parking where it sits in work's carpark, then i drive the same distance home again.

however on weekends the car usually does 2 stints of 100km trips to a neighbouring town.

typical overnight temp is about 15`C and daylight temp is 25`C for winter

i'm not hung up on achieving every little piece of hp available, i'd rather have a motor that lasts for another 70 000 kms and drive like it is new.

can someone suggest the best oil to use for this application and if organic or syn is the way to go for this motor.

Cheers

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey man,

most people on here including me have used and will tell you that motul 300v is the best of the best in terms of quality but at 150ish bux for 5 litres its not cheap

ive found that motul 8100 xcess is a great oil too at around 70bux; its 100% synthetic which has a high ranking out of all the oils too.

if you can find a dealer: performancelub etc that sells redline, thats a great bet too.

Hi Daniel,

The choice is pretty easy.

Motul 300v Chrono (10W40).... as Johnny said.

I have tried a ton of different oils as I used to do 5000km changes.

I have only used Synthetic oils though with the exception of one change (5000kms) of Royal Purple.

Shell Helix Ultra, Mobil 1, Motul 8100, Valvoline, Penrite Syn, Castrol Edge, Amsoil (10W40), RP, Nulon... cnbf trying to remember others...

I have been using 300v with 10,000km changes for the last 40,000kms and I can tell you that it is like a different engine when compared to the other oils.

Revs easier, "feels right" as opposed to others that felt too thin (mobil 1) or like the engine was being choked (Syn - only lasted 2 weeks, I couldn't stand it). The Motul 8100 left a black sludge which was removed with an engine cleaner at the next change.

If $150 every 10,000kms for oil is too much, I would probably go for the Nulon or Amsoil.....

..... but you did say you wanted to put something in that would have the engine running beautifully after 70,000kms.

Since you do a lot of short trips (my average trip TO work is 65kms), I would go with the best oil you can get.

Also, make sure you get a good quality filter. I can recommend either the K&N, Veruspeed or Amsoil oil filters.

The K&N should only set you back $20 and is very good quality.

Edited by iamhe77

I doubt that most people would 'feel' that much of a dramatic change. Nissan specify 7.5w30, and people on here use everything from semi synthetic Motul Turbolight 4100 to Redline or Motul 300v (insane to spend that much on oil for anything other than a track car IMO).

I personally use Motul 8100 5w40, which seems to make the turbo spool up slightly quicker than the Castrol EDGE 5w30 I ran previously. Take a look on the first page of the stickied oil thread for more info, I guess it goes as far as you want to read into the specifics of base stocks etc.

i just dont want anything too thin so i get noisy lifters or will cause trouble with continual 1000km trips to brizzy and back

and i'm not looking for a track use oil, the car barely goes over 4grand and puts around

but i want something to protect the engine anfd turbo for those moments just after start up where you need to redlineit to avoid being hit by a truck etc

alright i'll look into a new k&n filter at this stage and have a gander

price plays a big part in what i chose

so rather than the best i should have specified bang for buck

Cheers and thanks for the swift replies

Mobil 1, a good alternative to the expensive as Motul 300V and better than Turbolite. I've been using it for years with good results, a mate has done extensive testing for more than a decade with engines coming out clean as.

Nothing that in depth, but probably more than 1 million kms on various engines with the relevant parts coming out very nicely on it. Which is enough for me with an oil which is still bought to a price, I admit, being a personal decision as this is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there ..

I was confronted with the same problem, my Skyline needed an oilchange and I was wondering what the best treat would be.

I did a lot of reading and scrolled through many messages.

In addition I called the usual Skyline maintenance shops in the UK for a quote for an

oil change and it ranged from 200AUD to 270AUD.

They said they had just one high performance oil that they were using for their oil changes.

But since I don't race my Skyline that was too expensive (and a waste) for me.

In the end I used a synthetic oil 5W40 from BP.

The oil change did cost me around 110AUD with filter!

And that was done by a workshop where you just drive by without an appointment.

My recommendation is using a 5W40 or 10W50 oil of a well known brand.

It can be a semi synthetic or fully synthetic.

However, if you subject the car to a lot of load and rev it like hell on the track you should consider going for

one of the more expensive oils.

Cheers,

Andrew

er... semi synthetic?? Negative on that.. full synthetic only.

Any high end brand will do... Motul 300v chrono 10-40... mobil 1 0-40.. etc etc.

Just to let you guys know the R35 GTR comes factory filled with mobil 1 0-40, same with a heap of other hi end performance cars including my 300c SRT 8. At around $85 dollars per 5 litres its not cheap (However, still cheaper the 300v chrono).

Before you say 0 - 40 is too thin, its not... its the same as the 300v chrono when warmed up. Its only thinner then the 300v chrono at cold start up. Which allows the oil to lubricate the engine faster. Once the engine warms up it will be the same thickness as the 300v Chrono. If its good enough for the 35 GTR im sure its good enough for yours =). This was also confirmed by a hi end performance workshop here in WA (xspeed).

My 2 cents.

O and ive been using Mobil 1 0-40 only in my r33 for the psat 2 years. Nothing to complain about.. and the cleaning properties it has gets all the crap out of the engine.

Mobil 1 0w40 should be changed every 5000km

Motul 300V 10w40 should be changed every 10,000km.

so $85/5000km for mobil 1 and $75/5000km for Motul 300V (5L for both)

Motol is the best oil for your car.

Nismo use Motul in their cars.

Hi ..

It all depends what load you impose on the engine.

In my case I drive a fairly standard R33GTSTS2 and I definitely don't need

no oil deemed for racing purposes.

:wub:

I will stick with 5W-40 in a good quality (Mobile, Shell, BP ..)

As long as the oil:

1. Is shear-resistant
  2. Is thin enough at cold start to lubricate all parts quickly (so 5-W)
  3. Is thick enough at high temperatures
  4. Is suitable for turbo lubrication
  5. Makes the valve lifters happy
  6. Keeps the engine clean (no sludge buildup)

I'm fine with a 'standard' oil.

Here's a good article ..

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77396

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Torques

Mobil 1 0w40 should be changed every 5000km

Motul 300V 10w40 should be changed every 10,000km.

so $85/5000km for mobil 1 and $75/5000km for Motul 300V (5L for both)

Regardless of which oil i use, i will still change it at 5000kms. Its not like the oil wont get dirty...and if it doesn't, it means it aint cleaning the engine.

Regardless of which oil i use, i will still change it at 5000kms. Its not like the oil wont get dirty...and if it doesn't, it means it aint cleaning the engine.

I change the oil+filter if :

• The oil looks quite dark/used
  • A certain time has passed (once a year at least)
  • Or a certain distance has been covered

Changing the oil every 5000km is definitely not a bad thing, but when using HQ oil (as you do) you could

probably extend the interval .. (unless you move the car on the track)

Cheers,

Andrew

No there are several expensive motor oils that are group V, higher than full synthetic oils with double esters and stuff that lasts for 10,000. Doesn't get dirty as quick or break down as fast.

Every 5000km's or 6 months

Did it in my GTR, do it in my FD.

Mobil 1 0W-40 + Oil Filter, it adds up to usually around $100+

But you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself and knowing that you're using the best synthetic oil produced.