SAU Community

Buying A R34 Gtr, Pls Help

Elliot Wood

hey Shenton, pm me all the specs and what price you're looking at, cheers

and Mr. Karl... they do look awesome on R34's lol what are you talking about?

i don't like the rims on EVO's though

and Elliot... Iain is possibly selling his GTR as well... it's not a V Spec though, if you're interested pm me and i can give you his details? don't know if you'd be interested though because his is white and none of the cars you've shown us are white

let us know anyway, man i'm jealous lol

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how quickly do you want the car?

if you have the time, i would look at importing, increase your options

alot of nice options out there

pic0000.jpg

R34 GTR V-Spec NUR 90,000km (n1 engine) - z tuned kit (this one is close to 50k for the car itself so be like 60k+ landed but its very nice)

pic0000.jpg

might be worth talking to an importer to get an idea of price difference

Edited by [Michael]

Yes iv thought about it, but our dollar is shithouse. Makes them really exprencive.

On a side note I got in contact with No 5. and the guy who owns it is a total wank. I explained I live in WA, and I cant come look at the car..he basically said only if I pay $5 a photo. "no free picture. if you are interested come and see the car yourself." what a toss.

P.S. What site did you use to see japanese auctions?

Hi, if you want to import one, go to Danny Fisher at Imports 101. I know he is busy at the moment, but that is because he is good!

If you want to buy one from over East, exercise caution! There are some backyard dealers over there who are looking to rip people off, especially interstate buyers. You need to look at the language they use in their ads. I would be dubious about the two Bayside Blue cars for that reason. There are other hints about whether people are genuine. For example, many imports have their speedo clocked so the kilometres are reduced. So the guy selling the black one does not appear to have done that. Also the language he uses suggests he really is a private seller and an enthusiast - he knows the car. The mods on his car would cost you $15k to $20k to buy and install. If it has been well looked after (and it looks good) and if it has been tuned by a decent workshop, then you would be getting a well sorted car with 400 hp at the wheels. That figure with those mods, with 19 psi, is not pushing the envelope - they are safe levels. Ask him how many kms he has done in it, the car's history in Australia (did he import it?), receipts for servicing and parts, how many track days he has done.

Meanwhile, the silver one - I would be very surprised if it is a genuine M-Spec. It would be a very unusual M-Spec for it not to have leather trim - that was standard. See this link:

BNR34 M Spec Specifications

The Nismo 320 km/hr speedo is aftermarket. It is possible that it was added by the dealer in Japan when it was delivered to its first owner, but I doubt it. So there is an unknown number of kilometres prior to that speedo going in.

The guy says it is a Nismo car - it has Nismo sideskirts and the Nismo speedo. That's it. It does not have a full Nismo body kit - there are no rear quarter pods (rear under spoiler, to give them their proper name) and the front bar is standard GTR not Nismo. Also, the front bar is painted, because the diffuser is black as standard - not body colour. On the plus side, it does have the front diffuser and the rear carbon diffuser.

I reckon it is a V-Spec - and so probably a 1999 or 2000 car, with an M-Spec badge on it.

None of the pictures show the bonnet properly. If it was a genuine 2002 car, it would be a V Spec II which has the NACA duct on the passenger side of the bonnet (above the turbos). I am fairly sure that 2002 M-Specs also had a NACA duct, but I may be wrong. Some M-Spec owners in Japan asked for the carbon bonnet as an option.

Be very careful of this car. The guy clearly does not know what he is talking about OR he is a backyard dealer who is deliberately getting it wrong, so that he has plausible deniability. "I did not know it was not an M-Spec really, your honor".

With any of these, ask for the Japanese log books or the auction sheet, either of which would give you the kilometres when it left Japan. The black one is the most genuine car there and has everything you would want - a bit high on kilometres, but genuine.

OR JUST BUY KELVIN's CAR - now that is a car that has been looked after!

Cheers. :)

hey Shenton, pm me all the specs and what price you're looking at, cheers

and Mr. Karl... they do look awesome on R34's lol what are you talking about?

i don't like the rims on EVO's though

and Elliot... Iain is possibly selling his GTR as well... it's not a V Spec though, if you're interested pm me and i can give you his details? don't know if you'd be interested though because his is white and none of the cars you've shown us are white

let us know anyway, man i'm jealous lol

Yeah im not totally against white, my prefrence if Black > Midnight Purple > Bayside Blue > (the Nur color) > all the rest... except yellow...i dont like yellow.

At this point in time I think I want a V-spec | V-spec II | M-spec | nur (either of them). I have a r34 GTT atm and having it is great but every time I see a GTR it like a thorn in my brain..and i know if I buy a non-vspec when i see one it will do the same thing.

^^ What MLCrisis said. When u look at the ads in carsales, look carefully at the pictures too see whether the car's spec is as advertised.

For example,

a normal gt-r sold as a v-spec with only front diffuser on..no rear diffuser

low kms example with nismo dash on

'v-spec 2' with gray cloth interior and fuse box writing in white..

engine bay colour ( i've actually seen one that is totally different to the exterior )

On a side note I got in contact with No 5. and the guy who owns it is a total wank. I explained I live in WA, and I cant come look at the car..he basically said only if I pay $5 a photo. "no free picture. if you are interested come and see the car yourself." what a toss.

By my memory you were very young mate, he probably gets a million young gophers calling about his car.

If you really do have 50k to spend on a GTR, best to spend the 400bux on an airfare to go inspect/drive/talk to the owner if you're serious.

There's nothing more annoying when trying to sell your car is douchebags saying "Oh ye im interested and will definitely buy it bro juz waitin for my finance to come thru ay"

I understand this but i did not tell him my age. but serioulsy, he wants to sell the car so will have to take more photos eventually.

Would you pay 400-500 bucks to go see a car when u have only seen a few photos of it?

Yeah like I said at the top, the silver one seemed dodgy.

OR JUST BUY KELVIN's CAR - now that is a car that has been looked after!

Its seriously looking the best option right now, just abit over my budget. I recived a PM from someone that has looked at all the carsales cars in person and said its really worth getting a mechanic to check it out first, and he would not buy from overstates.

All things considered I might sell my r34 GTT and sit on the $$ for a bit, hopefully get enuff for Kelvins car (altho havnt seen it yet, ppl say its great tho).

Worst case I dont find one, i buy a honda civic and a house. lol.

Edited by Elliot Wood

are you sure you want a 34gtr have you looked at all the other options? That Carbon fibre NSX from x-speed is for sale for 55k or so :) ........ummmm NSX

ooh very tempting... but I have always wanted a R34 GTR.. ever since |Gran Turismo 2| ;)

All things considered I might sell my r34 GTT and sit on the $$ for a bit, hopefully get enuff for Kelvins car (altho havnt seen it yet, ppl say its great tho).

Definately a verrrryyyy tasty treat this one man.

When I bought my R from Qld I didn't fly over, but I paid a mechanic over there to look over the car and tell me of any faults that needed fixing up. These were then fixed at the time by the current owner, and all was sweet until I think 2-3 weeks later one of my hoses blew and ended up costing me about 1k to fix. I then ran into some other problems, but what do you expect with 10+ year old GTRs.

I've looked at all those ads and didn't like the way No.5 puts how he'll have to change his price according to the YEN. We're not in Japan, we're in Australia where the entire car market is coming down and with that so are car prices.

Anyway, I'd pick the black 34...because of its current mods, price (which you should be able to bring down) and also coz I'm after a black 34 GTR :):D

The black one definitely appears to be the best deal, imo. Good price for a Vspec II, which gets you the nice black seats and diffusers.

Just make sure you're very thorough - i was in the exact same position as you. I enquired about many, many cars, and some guys even refused a mechanical inspection. And for me, personally, i wouldn't buy a car without looking at it. I flew over to Brisbane to look at my GTR, and it was well worth it.

Edited by Huy

The black one definitely appears to be the best deal, imo. Good price for a Vspec II, which gets you the nice black seats and diffusers.

Just make sure you're very thorough - i was in the exact same position as you. I enquired about many, many cars, and some guys even refused a mechanical inspection. And for me, personally, i wouldn't buy a car without looking at it. I flew over to Brisbane to look at my GTR, and it was well worth it.

I agree, but that said ur cars a nur spec :P

There is a lot of good advice being circulated about how to go about things. I just returned from buying my 34r from Brisbane as well, and going over there was well worth the money for piece of mind. But if i can give you my 2 cents its be patient. Times is in your favour with that state of the economy, and every once and a while theirs a real bargain. Generally if the cars have been on car sales its for a good reason and theirs nothing special on offer at the moment. That black one was up there for 62g about 4months ago, now its 58 or even lower now as he took off the rims and a few other things well, its also done too many K's as already mentioned. Even though your buying a car you need to think about selling it one day as well bro.

P43ce BTW black is really nice, but white, you wouldn't know it but is tough as, and it looks chunkier as well, black hides definition on cars i'm talking about ha ha (had a black 34t before the white 34r)

Edited by Dos

That's commitment Huy! :)

It was a small price to pay for the peace of mind, Ed! And considering how much the Nur cost me...

Dos - No way! Black ftw!! Haha. Actually, trying to keep it clean is driving me a little crazy.

do you know the 2nd 3rd 4th pictures they are all from top motor imports they all have been in accident but the dealer doesnt tell you that here's a few example!!!

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=50059

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=50897

hope that helps you just looking out for people from this company