SAU Community

Purchasing R32 Gtr

merceid

Hey all.

Just sold off my R33 GTST and am looking to get a R32 GTR. I've search and read about quite bit of it.

Mostly saying its a old(almost 20yo) car and maintenance is high.

This is the only time i will have a chance to own a GTR but my budget only allows me to get a R32.

I've view a few GTRs and being not very mechanically inclined. I think i need to bring it to a mechanic to do a inspection.

My question is that, where can i do a full vehicle inspections that i can trust and what these inspections usually include? compression test? chassis check? brakes? clutch?

thank you!

Your on the right track, they are 20 or so years old now and do need to be checked over in depth to ensure quality...

Dan is able to travel to the car so at least the seller can be comfortable with the inspection as the car does not need to go anywhere...

It would be a big advantage to have a hoist and a good 2 hours to go over it tho...

If their keen to sell and have nothing to hide they should be flexiable to take the care to a point of inspection of your choice...

(ie. drive the car to dan and then hang around until completed)

compression leakdown and oil pressure brakes

i read some guys suggest to put it on a dyno.

what would putting on a dyno show other than power?

guys! dan is fully booked till end of may!!!

any other reliable mechanic i can trust?

GT Auto. More GT-Rs in that place than anywhere ive ever been to in my last 8 years of import ownership, they must know a thing or two about them.

Engine noise and compression, previous damage, rust, warning lights on, no ac operation, crushed sill panels and floors, worn out interiors plus the usual wear and tear is where id start on any GT-R. There are some really nice ones out there still, gotta look and u get what u pay for.

Good luck with the search.

I ve bought two GTRs, one I imported myself, and the other I aquired locally [both R32s]. the local one I took to Gavin Wood here on the Coast to do a pre-purchase mechanical/test drive for me. very happy with the result; he and his crew pointed out areas of concern and where repairs were needed. worth a call if you are looking for a GTR guru and live within a reasonable distance from the GC.

eidit: Gavin Wood's business is called 'Auto Tech'

Edited by changi

I'd suggest, wherever you decide to take your car for a 'check-up' that you have the car's systems checked by a full computer diagnostic. "plenty of hiding places for expensive repairs in there".

I personally wouldnt touch GT..... Just bought a car that had work done there and i am absolutely astonished!!!

Just silly things like tuning a car with an ignition problem, blocked injectors and leaving out half the values in the power fc by not tuning them.

I'd steer clear of thier tuning...maybe the car inspections are good... Tuning = no.

999 is a big nono.. and i would glady wrap your knuckles with my junk :/

same with ECC... who wants to take a expensive car where juniors unqualified workers touch your car?.

there was one guy in wollongabba that has always worked on GTR's??

Every car needs alot of maintenance depending on how fussy you are...

spend the extra buck and go to someone who touches GTRs everyday..

i knwo the mob in milton that garage next to milton maccers is pretty good..

bit pricey but meh.. its just a good once over check..

Advanced Performance Center do pre purchase inspections which usually include a dyno run, comp test and general check over of engine and body as well as roadtest.. not sure on price best to call and find out exactly wats involved. I'd strongly recommend at least a comp test as i've done a few recently on tidy, standard, low k fresh imports which have low comps mainly in cyl's 5 or 6. 32 gtr's are becoming a bit of a land mine situation when it comes to buying as they are gettin old and in the case of low milage ones, once they start getting driven regularly things will break. a few more things to look at are oil pressure, temp and front torque-split gauges, abs pump leaking, rust, conditon of brakes - discs especially for cracks, clutch and brake pedal feel. also that all the numbers on the odometer are in line. These are simple things u can check before getting a full inspection done. hope this helps

Edited by 45ULT

RACQ???????? :blush: Come on mate you cant be serious. I would rather have my grandmother check over my car than those useless pricks.

So what are you wanting to pay for a 32GTR.

Edited by subzeroR33

The workshop redsuns88 was talking about was Chapman and Chapman (Simon Chapman), in Deshon St where ABS is now. I am not sure if has the same owners. They prepared John Teulan's GTP racer plus cars for Targa.

I have also used Gavin Wood. He is my favorite and charges about $70 for an inspection. He has the diagnostic equiptment to interrogate the ECU. If you don't have this done, its hard to find faults. He has been good to me.

A couple of points to note ( and following on from 45ULT):

DON'T TRUST THE ODOMETER READING These are easily "haircut". If I could have a dollar for every import with 70k on the clock! Jap speedo's have 185km limits so any car with a Nismo, Mines or whatever instrument cluster is also low.

BOOSTED ENGINES OVERHEAT A big radiator is an essential on modified cars. Japan is a cold place so its ok there but when you see pictures of big turbos and fancy KW claims without a nice fat radiator, you expect to replace the head gasket or block.

Most GTR's are in need of major work. They are complex mechanically so any repair job has a lot of dissasembly and re-assembly of other parts to get at the faulty part. This is expensive.

Just about every seller claims the engine was rebuilt in Japan. This is an urban myth like "cheques in the mail".

all the replies are certainly helping. keep them coming.

but it really seems like getting a 32 gtr is like buying a time bomb.

it is even possible to get a 32 gtr that is in good condition?

i'm not looking at a high power gtr. i'm looking at one just to drive around and have fun when i want to.

it will just be a weekend drive.