SAU Community

Thank GOD for skyline brakes

All I can say is "that was to close" driving on the Hume highway from Sydney to Canberra on friday afternoon, when we were almost taken out by a huge ass truck.

I was in the right hand lane and doing 120kph, and he was in the left doing about 100kph. I was about 5 meters behind him and gaining when all of a sudden he swerved over blocking both lanes with the wheels locked up. I jumped on the brakes and swerved over off the right hand side of the road (getting both wheels onto the grass) when a large Border Collie came flying up out of under his back wheels missing us by about 50cm.

I can understand trying to miss a dog but when you endanger the lives of other people on the road it is beyond a joke.

I am very glad my Skyline had as good a brakes as it does on it might have ended far worse.

Yeah in the split millisecond decision of whether to hit the dog or slam the brakes.. only a professional driver who is paying full attention would hit the dog.

It's in our instinct to slam the brakes or swerve for a poor stupid dog.. your one lucky mother. :P

yeah ive given up swerving for stupid birds now, ud think they would be smart enough to fly away rite. funny thing is the day that i decided to do this i was in my old xf and there was this pigeon on the road. figured hed just fly away. BANG!! looked in the rear mirror and all i could see was a cloud of feathers.....looked freakin cool as!! felt sorry for teh bird for the rest of the day though....oh wells, im over it now:D:D:D:D

dunno wat id do if it was a dog though.

depends - you hit a dog at 100km/hr you're gonna be doing a fair amount of damage to the car..

but yer, i've nearly been killed in similar circumsntances, not involving animals but truck drivers just not paying proper attention to the cars tat might be around. was lucky as i hit the stones, but lukcily didnt panic and wrench the wheel when it did, otherwise i would'a been just a set of flowers at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere..

one afternoon i was driving back to melbourne from swan hill. On the way up i got a speeding fine so on the way back i wanted to drive the limit. This bus overtakes me at about 120km and instead of passing me he decided that half is enough and will change lanes. so im looking at this bus next to me coming closer and closer im tooting like crazy but still it kept coming. i slam on the brakes and swerve off the road. i was scared and pissed off at the same time.

Originally posted by Driver

im guessing the dog didnt make it

no definatly not, it was about window hight off the ground when it went passed our car, and very much dead, would have done alot of damage if it had hit the windscreen.

The only crash i have ever had was when i was coming back from work @ about 1:00 in the morning and a roo jumped out of a drainage ditch on the side of the road and landed right in front of my TX3, the bonnet flipped up and smashed the window and the car was written off, didn't even see the roo before it hit it just happens so fast sometimes!

A possum committed suicide under my wheels a couple of weeks ago. I was coming home late at night, was going about 5kph under the speed limit for a gently curve (who says speed kills? :D) and I suddenly noticed a possum at the edge of my headlights, sitting on the white dividing line.

I thought "he'll be ok as long as he stays there" as I lifted my foot off the accelerator to slow down some more but then a split second later he WALKED right in front of me! As soon as I saw him start walking I could have swerved, but I think I just would have hit the railing and written my car off. I totally froze, by the time I took my foot off the accelerator to put the brakes on he had gone under both right wheels.

I was totally in shock for the poor possum. When I got home I inspected the car for bits of possum or blood but I couldn't find any. The next day (afternoon) I went past the same bit of road and I couldn't find any trace of the possum. It started to make me wonder if I had imagined the whole thing. Or maybe I just ran over his tail or something (crosses fingers).