SAU Community

Gearbox - Redline Oil Vs Royal Purple

reNEGaDe88

Im looking at changing the box oil in my R34, not sure what i should use, have been told redline is the shit for them?

Nah use royal purple syncromax or OEM for the getrag. nissan matic D for the transfer case. This was as recomended by Terry @ award gearbox and diff.

Hmm i have been told that the redline stuff is better then the royal for the box, interesting more research is required.

Redline is apparently great for the r32/r33 gtr boxes..but the getrag's are different. Redline might be alright, but my gearbox guy said to use the royal purple so i'm sticking with it.

"Redline" make more that one product, so you need to talk about which Redline product to have a useful discussion. Getrags use a completely different type of lubricant (its ATF) to the R32/R33 5 speeds (regular gear oil). Its been mentioned here before many times, so search.

The redline site says to use the Redline Superlight Shockproof specifly for the R34 Getrag, and im assuming its the royal purple syncromax.

Edited by T4NK

Just Jap have lightweight shockproof for $119. I bought some last week and will be in the box this weekend.

For the 6 speed Getrag the redline site says to use Superlight shockproof oil, not the light shockproof but im torn as to use the royal purple or the redline. How much oil will i need for an oil change?

For the 6 speed Getrag the redline site says to use Superlight shockproof oil, not the light shockproof but im torn as to use the royal purple or the redline. How much oil will i need for an oil change?

the reason for redline recommending the SUPERLIGHT, will be it will be thinner and closer in specs to auto fluid normally used in the getrags.

the lightweight will be thicker, and not so suitable.

there is a massive following of redline.

i personally have never heard negative comments on their items.

currently have lightweight in my hks dog box, but havnt finished the build yet, so have not tested it out.

redline was recommended by the gearbox rebuilder, which i have complete faith in.

so long as you follow their(redlines) guide for your car, you should have no worries.

Yeh im gona give redline a shot, i think ppl that are not having a good time with it are using the wrong oil, i suspect they are not using the superlight weight oil, but the light weight or heavy one.

• 8 months later...

I just changed my gearbox and diff oils, Redline Lightweight Shockproof in the gearbox and Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 at the back, i LOOVEE the results. I have only driven 10km but i felt the difference after 100m, i can't wait to get back in the car and try it out, it just feel so smooth now, so tight.

I think i went overkill with the oils, but its just peace of mind for me.

• 2 weeks later...

After maybe 500-700km with Redline Lightweight in the trans and Royal Purple in the diff, i can say that the car feels like new!

I can't believe the difference this made, it is so well behaved on cold starts, gearbox never had a problem even with the old crap oil in there, but now it just wants to fall in place and does not argue or anything.

I am having more fun driving the car, especially as i replaced the fuel filter, oil filter and changed the oil (Castrol Edge Titanium 5W40)at around the same time.

I do not regret choosing the best, don't know if other oils would perform the same, but in my case with 150k on the odo, the car feels like new, no problems with the diff or gearbox.