SAU Community

Gtr35 Prices Drive Away

How many cars in the country, 200?

And how many would have changed hands in the second hand market at this stage, maybe a handful - maybe.

If any.

Too early for accurate prices on second hand market.

It's anyone's guess, but i would say they will depreciate about $2k ~ $2.5k per month, say 50% over 3 years, like any other car.

You'll be waiting a while before you can get one for $96k

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the r35 which sold for 96k in uk...what would the additional cost total to bring it to aust?

silver 35 with black rims MMMM

You can buy a used one in Japan from about 6 million yen , much cheaper than the one sold in UK and cheaper to transport to AUS but you will never register either in AUS.

long time no hear mate :pirate:

fyi - there was a 2nd hand (near new with 7000km) silver gtr on gtr.co.uk for only 47000pds! only sold 3 days ago:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/110217-08-plate-nissan-gtr.html

what a bargain!!!

straight off the currency converter calculator:

47,000.00 GBP = 96,137.95 AUD

1 GBP = 2.04549 AUD 1 AUD = 0.488881 GBP

Marko!

how are you going!!... If you get an R35 before me jeeeeez... haha!

yeah I could get one in the UK, but I would need to keep it there for 12mths! ...which isnt too much of a drama! as I have a house there...

but if I was going to that sort of effort it would only be for a gallardo or GT3 RSR

You can buy a used one in Japan from about 6 million yen , much cheaper than the one sold in UK and cheaper to transport to AUS but you will never register either in AUS.

well I could.... if I owned it for 12mths in the UK

Marko!

how are you going!!... If you get an R35 before me jeeeeez... haha!

yeah I could get one in the UK, but I would need to keep it there for 12mths! ...which isnt too much of a drama! as I have a house there...

but if I was going to that sort of effort it would only be for a gallardo or GT3 RSR

wow i wish i had that luxury :pirate:

i just finished my new build in my r32gtr, 3ltr with a goal of over 400awkw

35 is on the 'to do list', you'll get there b4 me

well I could.... if I owned it for 12mths in the UK

True but if you do the maths you will find it will come very close to buying one in AU so why bother ? Don't forget you will be up for 10% import duty from UK + freight ( I never brought a car from UK but I would think at least $4k+customs clearence and QT here) then add 10% GST on all the above,, ah and don't forget the LCT now 33%, payable on the cost price above $57K so at least $13 k LCT , what a joke . You will be up to $140k before long then register it and insure it for 12 months in UK, what about the interest on the purchase price? By the time you get her here she will be 15 months older and who knows how much you could buy one here for ??

If our $ to yen impoves to say 1$=85 yen then it could be worth doing this in Japan, you could land it here for under $100k .

as usual Gerry is on the money.

plus don't forget you have to actually be there in the UK with the car for 12 months. they ask for your passport and deduct each day you are out of the country. so if you are planning to just register it to yourself there and leave it in the garage while you are off working and spending lots of time in aus then it's going to take a shitload more than 12months for you to accumulate 1 year of being in the UK with the car. by the time you add freight, clearance, 10% GST, 10% Duty and the 33% LCT then it's not so cheap anymore and it's a pommy one with a dash in mph...

I have often looked at the new and used car prices in the UK with great envy! When you do a straight conversion from pounds to Aussie dollars (as evidenced a few posts up) it always appears that they are buying their cars at far better prices than we are.

I have noticed that as a rough rule of thumb, if you times the price of a UK car (in pounds) times 3, it roughly works out to the value of cars in Australia (new or used). I don't know why this is the case, it probably has something to do with our outrageous tax system.

I have often looked at the new and used car prices in the UK with great envy! When you do a straight conversion from pounds to Aussie dollars (as evidenced a few posts up) it always appears that they are buying their cars at far better prices than we are.

I have noticed that as a rough rule of thumb, if you times the price of a UK car (in pounds) times 3, it roughly works out to the value of cars in Australia (new or used). I don't know why this is the case, it probably has something to do with our outrageous tax system.

This is the case in new cars above the magic $57k ( above luxury tax ) , cheaper new cars are about the same price, even slightly cheaper here at the current exchage rate.

Don't forget base cars there have very small engines and don't have as many features as cars sold here .

As far as used cars go they are much cheaper there than here the older they get the bigger the gap . There is a good reason for that too. We have an older fleet here, we keep our cars longer than U.K, Europe, Japan and USA . There is a good reason for that too, our cars don't rust like theirs .

Used cars here are more expensive than almost anywhere and they retain their value better than almost anywhere else. The only cars that are cheap here are the Falcondores, a 4yo BA Falcon is worth about $8k , about 1/4 of the new price, this is about the depriciation you get in UK on a small car.

If you'd buy one in Japan or UK now, lets say for 600manyen, that would cost you just over 100K, to be exact AU$105K using todays exchange rate.

Catch is, of course, that you need to own it for 12 months in Japan or UK or anywhere else, before you can bring it back to Oz and road register it.

Hmmm, I may feel like a 12 month Japan holiday sooner or later :thumbsup:

Just to clarify - AU$105K road registered in Oz, nothing else to pay. That's great.

So this: http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/...0090627001.html

Here in your driveaway for 105K, or possibly less - knock yourselves silly, just teach english in Japan for 12 months he he he.

Edited by rehab2010

Just to clarify - AU$105K road registered in Oz, nothing else to pay. That's great.

So this: http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/...0090627001.html

Here in your driveaway for 105K, or possibly less - knock yourselves silly, just teach english in Japan for 12 months he he he.

I don't know where you get your figures from dude, I hate to tell you but you are way out....

Todays rate is 1AUD=72.85 yen just do some quick figures here based on the 6 mil it will cost you $82,361 just to buy the car if you get 72.85 yen to one AUD but if the rate is 72.85 the bank wants to make some PROFFIC ( just as well as I'm a bank shareholder), at best you are going to get 71max 72 yen.

But we will work on 72.85 and lets say that is $82 k ( you got some discount ) +de rego in japan, transport to the dock storage there and some export work say $1000+ import duty at 10%on the total = $91.3 k+ sea transport lats say you don't care much about your car and you send it the cheap way RO-RO including QT and customs here a minimum of $2k .

Now we are at $93.3 k + 10% GST on all that = $102.6 k and I thought you said 105 k registered. + LCT at 33% I won't go in to this to much as it is a little complex but I'll give you a rough figure about $8.6 k , new total now $111.2k , now you have to register it + you may need some mods for personal compliance but never mine that just the rego CTP and stamp duty about $5500, new total $116.7 k . How about keeping it in Japan for a year, insurance, parking etc...do you think she will be worth $120k in AUS in say 15 months time ??

An Aussie delivered maybe /probably but not a Jap delivered car .

If our $ improved on the yen to say 85 , then it maybe worth looking at it , or if you want a race car .

This is the current RBA exchange rate, I was a little generous in the above calcs, I used an earlier rate.

03 Jul 2009 06 Jul 2009 07 Jul 2009 08 Jul 2009 09 Jul 2009

United States dollar 0.7971 0.7950 0.7966 0.7869 0.7791

Japanese yen 76.55 75.89 75.96 74.17 72.52

• 2 weeks later...

So LCT is payable on a second hand motor vehicles if they are grey imported? Didn't know that! If you were to buy a second hand GT-R or Porsche, merc etc 2nd hand in Oz, you certainly wouldn't pay the LCT again. What a rort!

So LCT is payable on a second hand motor vehicles if they are grey imported? Didn't know that! If you were to buy a second hand GT-R or Porsche, merc etc 2nd hand in Oz, you certainly wouldn't pay the LCT again. What a rort!

The reason being is that they paid LCT on the car when bought new. The government has collected its LCT on these cars, hence no LCT when sold second hand. However with imports, no LCT has ever been paid, hence the charge of LCT when it is imported.

Cheers,

Gibbo

I don't know where you get your figures from dude, I hate to tell you but you are way out....

Todays rate is 1AUD=72.85 yen just do some quick figures here based on the 6 mil it will cost you $82,361 just to buy the car if you get 72.85 yen to one AUD but if the rate is 72.85 the bank wants to make some PROFFIC ( just as well as I'm a bank shareholder), at best you are going to get 71max 72 yen.

But we will work on 72.85 and lets say that is $82 k ( you got some discount ) +de rego in japan, transport to the dock storage there and some export work say $1000+ import duty at 10%on the total = $91.3 k+ sea transport lats say you don't care much about your car and you send it the cheap way RO-RO including QT and customs here a minimum of $2k .

Now we are at $93.3 k + 10% GST on all that = $102.6 k and I thought you said 105 k registered. + LCT at 33% I won't go in to this to much as it is a little complex but I'll give you a rough figure about $8.6 k , new total now $111.2k , now you have to register it + you may need some mods for personal compliance but never mine that just the rego CTP and stamp duty about $5500, new total $116.7 k . How about keeping it in Japan for a year, insurance, parking etc...do you think she will be worth $120k in AUS in say 15 months time ??

An Aussie delivered maybe /probably but not a Jap delivered car .

If our $ improved on the yen to say 85 , then it maybe worth looking at it , or if you want a race car .

This is the current RBA exchange rate, I was a little generous in the above calcs, I used an earlier rate.

03 Jul 2009 06 Jul 2009 07 Jul 2009 08 Jul 2009 09 Jul 2009

United States dollar 0.7971 0.7950 0.7966 0.7869 0.7791

Japanese yen 76.55 75.89 75.96 74.17 72.52

I agree buying over there and holding it for 12 months isn't worth it. BUT my understanding was there is no LCT to be paid on personal cars that you owned overseas for 12 months.

And yes they do screw you on the rego, $5500 for regoing a car after paying 33% Lux tax & 10% GST is just so wrong. Hows this, my car was registered in Melbourne by the first owner he had to pay $6000 to rego it in Melb, then he sold it brand new to me, I drove to QLD, registered it there another $5500. Thats $11500 in Registration fee's on one car.

Australia we don't like tall poppies around here!

The reason being is that they paid LCT on the car when bought new. The government has collected its LCT on these cars, hence no LCT when sold second hand. However with imports, no LCT has ever been paid, hence the charge of LCT when it is imported.

Cheers,

Gibbo

Thanks for confirming that Gibbo.

Still Gobsmacked, farken Canberra they'll get you even if you grey import. Even worse now that krudd lifted it to 33% from 25% :(

I agree buying over there and holding it for 12 months isn't worth it. BUT my understanding was there is no LCT to be paid on personal cars that you owned overseas for 12 months.

And yes they do screw you on the rego, $5500 for regoing a car after paying 33% Lux tax & 10% GST is just so wrong. Hows this, my car was registered in Melbourne by the first owner he had to pay $6000 to rego it in Melb, then he sold it brand new to me, I drove to QLD, registered it there another $5500. Thats $11500 in Registration fee's on one car.

Australia we don't like tall poppies around here!

Nothing new here mat, if you sell it to another person the next day he/she will have to pay all over again( not rego , stamp duty) in NSW it is charged at 3% for the first $45k and at 5% on the balance . this is a state goverment TAX , why do we need state goverments ????

The federal goverment is a little better, you only pay import duty once , LCT once and GST once ( GST goes to state goverments ).

Like gibbo said LCT, import duty and GST haven't been paid on the car because it wasn't sold new here, thats why you have to pay, we are lucky its only payable on the cost price and NOT the new car price!!

Let me tell you if you didn't have to pay the above taxes if you import it how many people do you think would be paying taxes!! I for one wouldn't buy anything in AU again .

Don't get me wrong I don't agree with the LCT and I have paid it several times over the years ( I just missed out paying the 33%last year, I got a car delivered on the 18th of June) but if we have it on cars sold here we must have it on all cars ..