SAU Community

S1 Cam Upgrade

allpawC34

atm have greddy plenum, S15 inj, R34 turbo using RB20 act (they run 10psi std), nismo fuel pump & pressure reg......... have PFC, EBC, Z32 afm to go on soon as soon as i can work out if a decent cam upgrade is available with proven increase in power.

Car has been converted to Man trans too.

• Like 1

yea, my bro and i bought a S2 half cut, he wanted the motor and wiring i wanted the conv kit. I changed bell housing too to R33 so i could use push type clutch rather the pull type. Only thing it didn't come with was handbreak and console which a mate who is an jap part importer over here in WA sourced for me brand new from nissan japan so she if 100% genuine. Am using S2 dash too so i dont have A/T lights and icon either. have all the console part numbers too if anyone requires them.

I just have (33 gtst cams) but can't compare because I changed other things as well. While we haven't had the cams degreed, my tuner and I reckon the stagea has milder cams than the 33 gtst - stageas always make less power on the dyno with the same mods.

cheers duncan, i was talking to mark @ hills today and he put the cam idea in my head. but wanted to find out what others had done.

would you say the 200 - 300 (guessing) bucks on standard 33 cams is worth it.

haha no co-incidence here then, Mark is doing my stagea at the moment - hopefully you saw it there with no motor in :P

the stagea comes up a good 30kw lower than an equivalent gtst time after time. and standard gtst cams are worth basically nothing. I reckon someone with standard cams could test back to back with gtst ones even easier than getting a set measured up

wish i could say i did but im in WA so the phone is the closest i get to his workshop. Mark is great though really knows his stuff and is always happy to share his knowledge. I got my PFC back today so will be getting it tuned in a couple of weeks :P

what CAS is he using as mine is a S1 (R33 series motor) but runs a R34 series CAS (plastic cover) which has a different drive on it? also 33 use hydraulic and 34 use solid cams so which ever way i go i need to put 33 CAS on car.

Duncan did ou change to R33 CAS when ou put the GTST cams in it?

good question - its all going together now. I've got the 34 CAS too, so I think he will use the 34 head to save stuffing around rewiring the CAS.

Do all stageas run the 34 CAS, I thought it might be another "special" bit that the late S1 cars like mine got.

I run Tomei 256/256 poncams, with 8.8mm Tomei springs, and an adjustable cam gear pulley wheel.

Tomei have the poncams to suit depending on the year/month build of your engine.

Tune is happening right now, new GT30 bbiw turbo, p/up tomorrow morning well into the mid-200's I hope

Tangles, what year/month is your S1? do you still have the tomei p/n for your cams?

no worries

Im a Feb/1997 build

the Tomei poncams cam from Sliding Performance

Type A

Part #143050 Tomei Poncam Camshaft Set - Nissan Skyline R33 GTST Series 2 - RB25DET - Duration: IN/EX 256 Degree - Lift: IN/EX 8.5mm

$1219.oo from sliding performance

http://www.slidingperformance.com/store/in...mp;productid=23

Makes the engine feel like a 3litre, heaps of torque available before the turbo hits 0psi

positive its metal

if in doubt give Shaun Duns a call at Boostworx 0882990621 and he can give you a rundown of it all (?)

cams/head work was one thing I didnt touch

Image006-1.jpg

yea metal CAS is R33 series, so to do cam upgrade on S1 with R33 series engine (non neo) with plastic R34 CAS you will need to change to R33 METAL CAS as drive on end of CAS is differnent, I have been told the wiring is different on them so you will need to speak to a mech or good tuner for more details.

PS nice cam cover Tangles

I run Tomei 256/256 poncams, with 8.8mm Tomei springs, and an adjustable cam gear pulley wheel.

Tomei have the poncams to suit depending on the year/month build of your engine.

Tune is happening right now, new GT30 bbiw turbo, p/up tomorrow morning well into the mid-200's I hope

Brendan have you had the tune? What's the latest on the AWKW front? Please tell me its over 230 as i am hoping to acheive that without the port and polish and poncams!