SAU Community

P-plate Turbo Exemption Info?

RxGTR

Well you should have thought of that before breaking the law :)

Relax hero. I'm sure have broken the law in some way...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not the point. You cant go and say something it gay, crap, ridiculous when its your own doing.

Me having lost my license twice in 8 years has nothing to do with it, each time I've taken it on the chin and not complained as its my own fault.

That's not the point. You cant go and say something it gay, crap, ridiculous when its your own doing.

Me having lost my license twice in 8 years has nothing to do with it, each time I've taken it on the chin and not complained as its my own fault.

Mate, Coz it is gay. I know its a result of my own wrong doing and i understand that. I've done something wrong and I've accepted it.. . But it simply, It is gay.

It's not about safer it's about legal. You can legally ride a 250cc motorcycle capable of 6 second 0-100 times at age 18. If you get into an accident riding this motorcycle, insurance will cover you. At age 18, in the GTS-T, it is at their discretion to politely tell you to f*** off.

And WTF man. How was this thread off topic? We were talking about P plate turbo exemptions, i.e. how there are basically none. And how insurance won't necessarily cover you if you do crash a high powered vehicle. I couldn't think of anything more relevant. And now you're sparking up the P plater negative-stereotype debate? THAT is going off topic.

It's not just about insurance and bankruptcy. It goes beyond that. The laws exist for a reason. It's not just so people over 21 can have something on you that you aren't allowed to drive a high powered vehicle. They don't base it on a gut feeling either. P platers are inexperienced by nature and there are plenty of immature young drivers. That is why they limit you. Yeah, it starts off as "his choice", but you give it the right time/place and that turns into "her death". You're not the only person on the road. And just because drink/drug drivers may be more dangerous than P platers, doesn't mean we should ignore the dangers of the latter.

If you can't overtake cars with the power of, say, a V6 Commodore, then you should think about modifying your driving style. It sounds to me like you make very swift decisions without patience. I can't fathom a reason why you would need a 6 second 0-100 car to overtake traffic. If someone is doing 60 in an 80 zone it's not difficult to overtake them in anything. And do tell, nay, please find me a dangerous situation...that you haven't put yourself in...where the GTS-T could get out while a GTS would remain stranded.

i wouldnt give 2 cents about the p plate laws now as im getting off my ps in a few dayz, but for some1 who has only got 1 speeding fine in 3 years of driving i would say that i am patient, here is an example, you are driving on the monash freeway, 80 road works zone, you are stuck behind a car that is doing 60 kmh and on both lanes beside you there is traffic and they are doing 80+ kmh, i can guarantee you that the response of a turbo car will make it easier to overtake the car than a slow 1.8 ltr car that most of the new p platers are allowed to drive anyway, i do agree that p-platers lack the experience of driving a car and lack experience in dealing with different driving conditions or weather conditions that can turn dangerous. But too much attention is placed on the vehicle they drive rather than the experience they should gain in different driving conditions etc. Im yet to see data that says a person driving car "x" say a gtst is highly more likely to get into an accident or kill them selves than a person driving car "y" say a holden astra.

Anyways lol, not gona get into a debate over this, my final thought is that there should be driving courses that you complete before you can obtain your p's and not just making some new laws for revenue raising.

I too think there should be a number of courses targeted at P platers and offset by Government subsidisation, but I don't agree with your example. And I still think you are an impatient driver because your example highlights this. Patience would have you wait for a suitable gap with which to overtake, whatever the car you are in. You could try flashing your lights at the person in front who by rights should be sticking to the left lane if they are not overtaking or doing the speed limit. Most people on their P plates seem to be managing fine without a GTS-T to overtake people. And 1 point in 3 years doesn't necessitate you being a good driver - I have a friend who did everything bad that I did when I was on my P plates and then some. I racked up nearly a full licence worth of demerit points for speeding...he didn't get a single fine. I see people do stupid things when it comes to changing lanes and overtaking but I never see them pulled over by the police for it. I've nearly been killed 3 or 4 times by people on my motorbike. They get away with simply a fast heart beat and a stupid look on their face, they probably never speed though. Thing is, we have in our minds the idea that we are all good drivers. If you surveyed drivers, how many would actually say they are bad or make alot of mistakes? Yet in a single day of driving you could criticise over 100 people.

Regardless of your stance on the issue, and whether you agree with the law or not, it is there and you can't change it. Any act of defiance is only going to make life suck for you in the event that something does happen to you, your car or your licence. I certainly don't wish it upon you. I guess my major concern with you doing this, is that I've been in one of these bad situations before...the one I didn't expect could ever happen to me...and there's not many I would wish that upon. I know it will fall on deaf ears because you've been doing it for so long and getting away with it, and you aren't going to go out of your way to obey the law when you're so close getting your full licence...but please don't think that in the few days leading up to it, you are exempt from shit happening.

I too think there should be a number of courses targeted at P platers and offset by Government subsidisation, but I don't agree with your example. And I still think you are an impatient driver because your example highlights this. Patience would have you wait for a suitable gap with which to overtake, whatever the car you are in. You could try flashing your lights at the person in front who by rights should be sticking to the left lane if they are not overtaking or doing the speed limit. Most people on their P plates seem to be managing fine without a GTS-T to overtake people. And 1 point in 3 years doesn't necessitate you being a good driver - I have a friend who did everything bad that I did when I was on my P plates and then some. I racked up nearly a full licence worth of demerit points for speeding...he didn't get a single fine. I see people do stupid things when it comes to changing lanes and overtaking but I never see them pulled over by the police for it. I've nearly been killed 3 or 4 times by people on my motorbike. They get away with simply a fast heart beat and a stupid look on their face, they probably never speed though. Thing is, we have in our minds the idea that we are all good drivers. If you surveyed drivers, how many would actually say they are bad or make alot of mistakes? Yet in a single day of driving you could criticise over 100 people.

Regardless of your stance on the issue, and whether you agree with the law or not, it is there and you can't change it. Any act of defiance is only going to make life suck for you in the event that something does happen to you, your car or your licence. I certainly don't wish it upon you. I guess my major concern with you doing this, is that I've been in one of these bad situations before...the one I didn't expect could ever happen to me...and there's not many I would wish that upon. I know it will fall on deaf ears because you've been doing it for so long and getting away with it, and you aren't going to go out of your way to obey the law when you're so close getting your full licence...but please don't think that in the few days leading up to it, you are exempt from shit happening.

you got a point, your talking from personal experience, i guess i have been lucky with the law a few times in regards to only getting one fine,

anyways, all that i can do now is keep learning and improve my driving, im not a perfect driver and i never will be,

peace out, got a day to enjoy and exam to study for lol, your opinion on this issue is appreciated birds, people will never get it into their heads until something happens to them,

• 2 weeks later...

Got my licence before the new law, lost it when the new law was in place, got it back and got done for a "high powered vehicle"... a year later, haven't paid the fine and still waiting for the summonds they wont send because we will kick there arses in a court room :)

Got my licence before the new law, lost it when the new law was in place, got it back and got done for a "high powered vehicle"... a year later, haven't paid the fine and still waiting for the summonds they wont send because we will kick there arses in a court room :banana:

Lol would be funny to watch the cops fall under you then ey :thumbsup:

i go tmy p's feb '08

got done driving my r32 with a rb25 in it..

lost 3 points for driving turbo got a major defect and had to wait for my mum to come drive my car home as the cop would not leave lol..

here i was thinking yer u will get away with it but u dont im just an idiot.

but still i havnt learnt my lesson not selling it.. spent to much money on it.

meh what do ya do

HO HO HO, MERRY JULY 1st!

Permission to Drive Lower-Performance Turbocharged or Supercharged Cars:

Drivers who obtained their probationary licence on or after 1 July 2007 can drive some lower-performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicles. These vehicles generally have improved safety features and greater fuel-efficiency and can be driven by probationary drivers.

Probationary drivers may apply to drive vehicles with 6 cylinders or less that are:

[*] Turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio of less than 100kW per tonne;

[*] turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio between 100kW and 125kW per tonne and that are considered to be a family type vehicle (4 seats or more) rather than a sports type vehicle.

A family type vehicle is a sedan, station wagon or hatch normally used to carry families/passengers with 4 or more seats and is equipped with child restraint anchorages and does not include sports cars eg a two door coupe.

Vehicles with eight cylinders or more, family type-type vehicles with more than 125KW per tonne or other vehicles with more than 100KW per tonne will NOT be granted under this scheme.

Probationary drivers may drive diesel-powered supercharged and turbocharged vehicles provided they have no more than 6 cylinders. No exemption is required.

Examples of vehicles that are NOT lower performance turbocharged or supercharged cars and must not be driven by probationary drivers include::

AUDI TT QUATTRO 2D COUPE 4 1781 cc TURBO Multi 6 speed Manual

BMW 335i E92 2D COUPE 6 2979 cc TWIN TURBO F/INJ 6 speed Automatic

FORD FALCON XR6 TURBO BA 4D SEDAN 6 3984 cc TURBO Multi 5 speed Manual

MAZDA 6 MPS 5D SEDAN 4 2261 cc TURBO F/INJ 6 speed Manual

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX 4D SEDAN 4 1994 cc TURBO Multi 5 speed Manual

http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/initiati...pply_if_yo.html

Get into those SAAB 9-5s/Golf GTI's boys and start winding up the boost!

Edited by Solid Snake

What do you think the chances are of being able to drive say a liberty RS turbo?

If it fits the description of a "Family" car that is described in the above post, has a power to weight ratio of less than 125Kw/Tonne, you should be fine.

P.S - I don't represent Vic Roads

google the specs and see if it's under the 125kw/tonne limit. if it is i reckon you might be onto something ;)

Its 118, so there may be a chance :D

I think the ultimate P plater car is now going to be a VL Calais Turbo, there is so much aftermarket support for those things, 5 minutes on car sales under $20,000 returned some 250RWKW+ examples. Or a Toyota Aristo, P plates just got a whole lot sweeter.

Edited by Solid Snake

I think the ultimate P plater car is now going to be a VL Calais Turbo, there is so much aftermarket support for those things, 5 minutes on car sales under $20,000 returned some 250RWKW+ examples. Or a Toyota Aristo, P plates just got a whole lot sweeter.

VL turbo?

i thought the NA VL is 121kw per tonne. if you turbo it it'll obviously be over the limit. Plus cops hateeeee VL's coz of the wogs using them as hoon cars. Pretty sure that wont work out, though its worth a try

Rx there are factory VL turbos. They have RB30ET engines in them and produce about 150kw.

Sorry to rain on everyone's P-plater parade, but insurance companies and the police are not going to let you modify a car to be faster than the legal limit just because it came from the factory under the power to weight limit. Modifications are NOT a loophole around this...you will get f**ked over even moreso for doing this than driving a factory fast car, because in many cases modifications make the car unroadworthy and will give an accident scenario the "hoon" factor. The new laws are there so that the European manufacturers can have their slice of the wealthy P-plater demographic and to pave the way for a turbo-diesel future.

Rx there are factory VL turbos. They have RB30ET engines in them and produce about 150kw.

Sorry to rain on everyone's P-plater parade, but insurance companies and the police are not going to let you modify a car to be faster than the legal limit just because it came from the factory under the power to weight limit. Modifications are NOT a loophole around this...you will get f**ked over even moreso for doing this than driving a factory fast car, because in many cases modifications make the car unroadworthy and will give an accident scenario the "hoon" factor. The new laws are there so that the European manufacturers can have their slice of the wealthy P-plater demographic and to pave the way for a turbo-diesel future.

Which cop is exactly going to point out "Oh you can't have this because its an aftermarket modification". Half of them wouldn't know their arse from their elbow, exhaust and other things on the outside maybe, but when it comes to inside. No chance of spotting anything.

How many people on this forum are running mods that are illegal? Same case for them, insurance won't cover them either.

Edited by Solid Snake

We've already had a thread devoted to this debate Snake (in fact, I think it is this thread, just earlier on). The EPA fine from a cop with half a brain is somewhat irrelevant compared to the several thousand you have to fork out because your insurance company won't pay your claim. It's not just about avoiding the police...how are you going to avoid the insurance assessor who does know his shit when/if you have an accident?

And yes, if an insurance company really want to get out of paying a claim and can prove your car had illegal modifications that may have caused the accident - anyone is f**ked, P-plater or not. Unfortunately the "but the rest of the guys on SAU have illegal mods too" argument doesn't sit with insurance or the police. Ever heard your mum say "if so and and so jumped off a cliff..."? It's kind of like that. But even then, if the modifications on a full-licence driver's car are illegal, atleast the insurance company cannot use the DEAD EASY excuse out of a claim that the driver should not have been in charge of a high powered vehicle in the first place.

Trying to find a loophole in these laws will only result in you screwing yourself over.