SAU Community

P-plate Turbo Exemption Info?

RxGTR

Rx there are factory VL turbos. They have RB30ET engines in them and produce about 150kw.

Sorry to rain on everyone's P-plater parade, but insurance companies and the police are not going to let you modify a car to be faster than the legal limit just because it came from the factory under the power to weight limit. Modifications are NOT a loophole around this...you will get f**ked over even moreso for doing this than driving a factory fast car, because in many cases modifications make the car unroadworthy and will give an accident scenario the "hoon" factor. The new laws are there so that the European manufacturers can have their slice of the wealthy P-plater demographic and to pave the way for a turbo-diesel future.

i didn't know that ma bad. I dun know about VL's to be honest. Well lol my wog friend is trying to turbo a NA VL coz it has 121kw p/w ratio from factory i wona see him burn now XD

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, you've got a point now in the 'low level turbo' thing. But it doesn't mention anything about changes to the "MUST NOT DRIVE A VEHICLE WITH AN ENGINE MODIFIED TO INCREASE PERFORMANCE" law. So you can have your GTI or Liberty Turbo, but the moment you start "windin' up the boost" you're back to square one in driving an illegal car.

It's pretty clear the government, Insurers, Vicroads, Police, Illuminati and whoever else you like to implicate don't want p-platers to have hi-po cars. Half brained police might not be able to tell a GT-SS from a T88 (although TMU officers probably could), but they can definitely tell what doesn't look like it came with the car, and someone who knows what they're talking about is only a radio call away.

Okay, you've got a point now in the 'low level turbo' thing. But it doesn't mention anything about changes to the "MUST NOT DRIVE A VEHICLE WITH AN ENGINE MODIFIED TO INCREASE PERFORMANCE" law. So you can have your GTI or Liberty Turbo, but the moment you start "windin' up the boost" you're back to square one in driving an illegal car.

It's pretty clear the government, Insurers, Vicroads, Police, Illuminati and whoever else you like to implicate don't want p-platers to have hi-po cars. Half brained police might not be able to tell a GT-SS from a T88 (although TMU officers probably could), but they can definitely tell what doesn't look like it came with the car, and someone who knows what they're talking about is only a radio call away.

Yes, I know, thanks for telling me something I've known since the beginning of time, but the thing is, how many people can tell you've done that? Yes, I know its Illegal, but so are those wheel spacers, the hollowed out Catalytic converter, the tyres/wheels bigger than factory rolling diameter, missing that "unleaded fuel" sticker on the refill area amongst many other things, the lowered car (past legal limit). So is downloading music/programs/movies, same with overtaking over the speed limit.

Yes, I might go bankrupt at the age of 20 for rear ending someone's BMW M3, you will too once the RIAA and the MPAA find out you have been downloading Music/Movies and fine you $60,000 per song, plus have Warner Music Group on your arse. We can all be living on the streets together. The RIAA/MPAA are only an IP address away.

Lets all just get off our high horses. You can argue all you like, but when people have made up their minds, there is no changing them, they just have to accept the conseqences of their actions and to tell you the truth, if I got a turbo'd car exempted for me, thats the first thing I would be doing.

I believe none of us here can talk about law breaking, we've all done something once.

Edited by Solid Snake

I was looking at the form today on the vicroads site to get a car exempted.

Seems like a pretty annoying process.

You need to have the details of the specific car you want to drive (vin number, engine number, etc) as well as the owners details.

So its not like you can just ask about a certain model.

And if they decide to not let you drive it, thats a lot of wasted time :(

Edited by ss07

Yes, I know, thanks for telling me something I've known since the beginning of time, but the thing is, how many people can tell you've done that? Yes, I know its Illegal, but so are those wheel spacers, the hollowed out Catalytic converter, the tyres/wheels bigger than factory rolling diameter, missing that "unleaded fuel" sticker on the refill area amongst many other things, the lowered car (past legal limit). So is downloading music/programs/movies, same with overtaking over the speed limit.

Yes, I might go bankrupt at the age of 20 for rear ending someone's BMW M3, you will too once the RIAA and the MPAA find out you have been downloading Music/Movies and fine you $60,000 per song, plus have Warner Music Group on your arse. We can all be living on the streets together. The RIAA/MPAA are only an IP address away.

Lets all just get off our high horses. You can argue all you like, but when people have made up their minds, there is no changing them, they just have to accept the conseqences of their actions and to tell you the truth, if I got a turbo'd car exempted for me, thats the first thing I would be doing.

I believe none of us here can talk about law breaking, we've all done something once.

How many of those modifications you listed can actually be proved a contributing factor in an accident? Wheel spacers, perhaps being too low. People who do this to their cars and expect insurance are kidding themselves just like you, but atleast they require a more detailed scrutiny to get f**ked over during their insurance claim. Conversely, an insurance company doesn't have to go far at all to prove you didn't have the experience to maintain control your vehicle...afterall, it is the law that you don't have the experience to maintain control of it. P plates...check. High powered vehicle...check. Rejected claim...check. It's as simple as that.

If this is the mentality we are dealing with, it is no wonder we have so many people killing themselves at a young age on our roads. F**k the high horse, it's common knowledge man. You don't have to be in a morally arrogant mood to recognise how dire the consequences of this kind of action is. And when we're talking on the topic of obeying the law / life preservation, you're going to get alot of "don't do that". It's not because we enjoy telling you what you can't do, it's because we care about each other enough to tell each other off when we are doing wrong. There are plenty of drug addicts out there...why don't you go smoke it up with em? They all seem to be getting away with it, surely you won't OD / f**k up your life. And so what if you do, it's just life right? It's only the longest and only thing you keep until you die.

As for people making up their minds, atleast RxGTR has the brains and open mind to listen up. His opinion on the matter changed (hopefully remains that way) and consequently he's going to be all the better for it if he ever has a car accident. You know, I've refrained from personally abusing anyone on these forums for the sake of protecting my reputation as a logical and rational debater who avoids insults like the plague, but you are a dickhead.

Edited by Birds

How many of those modifications you listed can actually be proved a contributing factor in an accident? Wheel spacers, perhaps being too low. People who do this to their cars and expect insurance are kidding themselves just like you, but atleast they require a more detailed scrutiny to get f**ked over during their insurance claim. Conversely, an insurance company doesn't have to go far at all to prove you didn't have the experience to maintain control your vehicle...afterall, it is the law that you don't have the experience to maintain control of it. P plates...check. High powered vehicle...check. Rejected claim...check. It's as simple as that.

If this is the mentality we are dealing with, it is no wonder we have so many people killing themselves at a young age on our roads. F**k the high horse, it's common knowledge man. You don't have to be in a morally arrogant mood to recognise how dire the consequences of this kind of action is. And when we're talking on the topic of obeying the law / life preservation, you're going to get alot of "don't do that". It's not because we enjoy telling you what you can't do, it's because we care about each other enough to tell each other off when we are doing wrong. There are plenty of drug addicts out there...why don't you go smoke it up with em? They all seem to be getting away with it, surely you won't OD / f**k up your life. And so what if you do, it's just life right? It's only the longest and only thing you keep until you die.

As for people making up their minds, atleast RxGTR has the brains and open mind to listen up. His opinion on the matter changed (hopefully remains that way) and consequently he's going to be all the better for it if he ever has a car accident. You know, I've refrained from personally abusing anyone on these forums for the sake of protecting my reputation as a logical and rational debater who avoids insults like the plague, but you are a dickhead.

It doesn't matter if they "contribute" to accidents, the moment the insurance company finds something illegal, they'll instantly void your claim regardless if it did contribute to the accident or not. Just because someone on their P plates is running a bit of power behind their car, doesn't mean they'll kill themselves, I could kill myself in a Hyundai Excel if I tried to. You'll generally find that the kids who go through the effort of modding their cars themselves know about and respect the power they are running.

I'm not changing my opinion, yours is no righter than mine is and the other way around. Lets define that word:

o⋅pin⋅ion

–noun

1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

You are generalising.

Edited by Solid Snake

Thanks for that Birds =D don't worry ill be taking over your role sooner or later telling idiots off for stupid reasons

Did you even read my post Snake? "People who do this to their cars and expect insurance are kidding themselves just like you, but atleast they require a more detailed scrutiny to get f**ked over during their insurance claim". I never said it was okay to use wheel spacers or that you could get away with it - only that you - as a P-plater driving a high performance vehicle, have more chance of getting caught out on a void claim.

It is not just about kids killing themselves. It is about the trouble you can get into for not obeying the law. You can feed me crap about kids who modify their cars having respect for power etc. I say the same thing myself but it doesn't change the law or the policies of insurance companies. I think you need to read that definition yourself Snake: A belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

Unfortuantely for your opinion, we have certainty and this is NOT a subjective matter. It is fact that you can very easily get f***ed over if you have an accident. Opinions aren't a defence in the eyes of the law, they don't hold up in court. There is no defence for this, you are going to get shafted if you have an accident in a high powered vehicle on your P-plates.

• 11 months later...

Hi guys,

Hope you don't mind me posting this.

I work for Channel 9 in Brisbane and am trying to speak to someone about this exact topic.

I want to speak to someone who is on their P plate and has an legitimate reason for exemption.

Are any of you Brisbane based and willing to have a chat? Email me on [email protected]

Cheers

Hi guys,

I work for Channel 9 in Brisbane and am trying to speak to someone about this exact topic.

I want to speak to someone who is on their P plate and has an legitimate reason for exemption.

Are any of you Brisbane based and willing to have a chat? Email me on [email protected]

Cheers

Hmmm... This is the "Victoria" section.... so you might have some trouble finding people that are Brisbane based....

On another note, I think you might have trouble finding someone on a Skyline forum that has a legitimate excuse to drive a turbo skyline....

I wanted to start a thread for all the future P platers trying to own skylines with turbo's.

Would be helpful if people with exemptions could give the reason why they were able to obtain it and what skyline they own.

thanks guys

17-I-lol.jpg

Hi guys,

Cheers

Yeah i'll bet you are. :cool:

More like trying to pin the tail on yet another unsuspecting donkey and blow the story out of proportion.

Channel 9 are @ the pinnacle of bias and disgustingly inaccurate reporting when it comes to "hoons".

The door is this way -----------> OUT.

Hi guys,

Cheers

:cool: because i watched my wife get run over by a whole heap of NA cars. the only one that stopped was skyline

Hi guys,

Cheers

its tracy grimshaw, look out!

If the knobhead P-platers doing burnouts up and down my street every time it rains in there shitbox taxis are anything to go by, I dont want them having powerful cars with any sort of forced induction .

I dont even think they deserve any more than 4 cylinders..That said Ive had many a good time in fast fours without turbos, there is really no need for young drivers to have anything more . especially when your average lancer/corolla will do 200kph standard.Then with some head work ,maybe some flat top pistons, more compression cams.these things can really boogie if you know how to drive. And insurance companies rarely pull your engine apart so would never know...

The sooner young people realize there is much more to driving than how much power is under the hood the better, but when the front cover of every magazine screams 500AWKW on the front cover, what are kids going to think...Dont get me wrong i love these magazines, but they really should have a good think about their impression on the impressionables..

Maybe they could try glorifying budget racers more, instead of mechanical marvels with too much paint too big wheels and more power than u can really use...I for one would rather see tricks, howtos and feats of engineering than cars that are merely polished money pits..All the stories on R35 and evo 10 track cars are useless, What pecentage of people reading the magazine can actually afford these...5% maybe...Most of us are stuck with a civic or corolla, why not glorify them more instead of the cars we already know are fast

Sorry got lost excuse the rant... :cool:

Edited by Arthur T3

:banana: because i watched my wife get run over by a whole heap of NA cars. the only one that stopped was skyline

Get a stock honda s2k. Decent pwr, rwd, non-turbo and perfectly P plate legal for those on the new law. Faster and makes more pwr then stock gtst but if u still insist on getting a gtst, drive the s2k while ur on ur P's, then sell up and get a gtst when u hit FULLS.

Dont take the risk driving turbo cars cause its not worth the headaches.

But i do wonder if the new laws will exempt u from drive a ford territory turbo?

Its a BIG family car, just under 125kw/t (247kw on 2T) and wouldnt be classified as a "HOONS" car

Can anyone confirm?

Get a stock honda s2k. Decent pwr, rwd, non-turbo and perfectly P plate legal for those on the new law. Faster and makes more pwr then stock gtst but if u still insist on getting a gtst, drive the s2k while ur on ur P's, then sell up and get a gtst when u hit FULLS.

Dont take the risk driving turbo cars cause its not worth the headaches.

But i do wonder if the new laws will exempt u from drive a ford territory turbo?

Its a BIG family car, just under 125kw/t (247kw on 2T) and wouldnt be classified as a "HOONS" car

Can anyone confirm?

Well first of all, S2000 is gonna set you back 20k, which is a lot of money for a p plater for their first car.... Where as a R33 GTST is about 10k....So I think that might be out of the equation... For 20k, there are MANY choices out there, especially NA.

Secondly... If you do drive a Territory turbo, then I'm sure you can definitely get an exemption, as it says in the rules, if you drive a sedan that is under 125kw/t, or a couple that is under 100kw/t, then you can apply for exemption. Exemption only becomes hard to get when you drive a car that is more powerful than stated in that rule, eg: Skylines...

Couple of people seem to be missing the point, i.e. even though you have successfully evaded police attention for driving a high powered vehicle on your P plates, if you get into an accident and your insurance company decides to scrutinise the hell out of your claim...you are well and truly screwed. This is worsened by the fact that, the more expensive the claim, the more likely they are to try and get out of it. For the police it's just another fine that they miss out on handing out - for an insurance company it can be thousands of dollars. And to my knowledge they have every legal right to refuse your claim because you were driving illegally - it is the equivalent of driving without a licence. They also have every right to insure your car and collect your premium, only to reject a claim. I imagine some of the scummier companies do this regularly. A friend of mine was seeking an insurance quote for a WRX on his P plates a few years ago...the consultant was kind enough to tell him that he could and would insure his car but in the event of an accident would not pay out the claim.

That said, I'm not sure R33 GTS-Ts are over the power to weight? Or maybe it was R32 GTS-Ts...

No you're not and no they don't.

Driving a car that you are not meant to does not automatically disqualify you from making a claim against insurance.

Read any insurers PDS and you will not find anything to suggest such under the "We will not pay your claim" section.

There will be some specifics, such as DUI and Drug driving, but if there is no specific about driving a vehicle above the power limit or in the off limits list, then they are still required to pay out. They cannot protect themselves carte blanche with a statement about you doing the right thing.

Also if an insurance takes money off you for a premium, in good faith, on a vehicle that they know you aren't meant to be driving, they will be placing themselves in a situation where it would be practically impossible for them to get out of paying a claim on this basis.

Also, isn't it 150kW per ton? I know it used to be this but it's been so long since I had to care that it could have changed by now.

EDIT: Nvm. Just found the VicRoads bit and it is 125kW/ton.

R33GTST is 1390kgs and 184kW from the factory which = 132kW/ton.

No you're not and no they don't.

Driving a car that you are not meant to does not automatically disqualify you from making a claim against insurance.

Read any insurers PDS and you will not find anything to suggest such under the "We will not pay your claim" section.

There will be some specifics, such as DUI and Drug driving, but if there is no specific about driving a vehicle above the power limit or in the off limits list, then they are still required to pay out. They cannot protect themselves carte blanche with a statement about you doing the right thing.

Also if an insurance takes money off you for a premium, in good faith, on a vehicle that they know you aren't meant to be driving, they will be placing themselves in a situation where it would be practically impossible for them to get out of paying a claim on this basis.

Also, isn't it 150kW per ton? I know it used to be this but it's been so long since I had to care that it could have changed by now.

EDIT: Nvm. Just found the VicRoads bit and it is 125kW/ton.

R33GTST is 1390kgs and 184kW from the factory which = 132kW/ton.

I think there's always going to be 2 sides of this insurnace argument, but I'm on your side, as I'm speaking from experience.