SAU Community

Need Help With Porche Brakes

timsr33

Pretty sure got the fronts for under $1k off ebay and they were 2nd hand but good condition

They dont come up that often tho...

I can give you the contact in QLD I got them through and see if he has any more??

WRS don't have any more 997 callipers or rotors,

i bought them all two weeks ago. If your after a set if 997 cup callipers they can be had for around the 1k mark for a pair and 600 odd for the 380mm floating rotor IF you know the right people to buy them from.

There is a fair ammount of work required to fit them, the porsche hats require replacing or modifying to suit the hub and the stud pattern, the lower control arm needs some clearance mods, custom adaptors obviously, and mods to the upright to accomodate the bracket and caliper size.

We've also found that with the weight replace the wheel bearings and studs BEFORE using the car with brakes like this. They WILL fail with the rotating mass.

I've got a set on my road GTR currently and they are far too noisey for daily driving, the rotors rattle till warm and drive me nuts. The set on my race car are okay though as noise doesn't matter.

There is no such thing as a streetable pad either, I've Had a set if pagid backings re lined for street use.

You'll need some big internal diameter 18's as well

I have 8 sets so if you are interested in buying a set for a skyline I'm willing to part with them for the right price.

This is a current 997 Cup calliper (NOT a road going porsche 6 spot calliper or 996) with a Ferrari F50 calliper

post-20349-1256799676_thumb.jpg

Here is a 997 Pagid pad up against an F50 ferrari pad, the size is obvious.

post-20349-1256799646_thumb.jpg

post-20349-1256799621_thumb.jpg

These are the 997 brembo floating rotors we use, the rears are in the background kinda. Rears are very hard to get as the porkas dont wear them so they are used for very long periods.

post-20349-1256799580_thumb.jpg

Out of interest here is a few I bought the other week, pretty average condition but no leaks or problems just paint damage.

post-20349-1256799556_thumb.jpg

Edited by Risking

IIRC Porsche here in Melb would sell cup calipers for $700ea for the fronts. The street 6 pots were about $1100ea

Probably not the same thing as what you are talking about above... but it does put it into perspective when you think people try and ask $1500 for USED GTR Brembo's generally with fked disc's and near dead pads :P

• 11 months later...

I have a set of 996 GT3rs brakes here to use on the track car.

PICT4852.jpg

PICT4851.jpg

The fronts are for 355mm 35 thick rotors and the rears are for 330mm 28 thick rotors.

Can anyone give me an lead on reasonably priced hats and rotors to fit an R32 ? Also adaptors for the calipers. I can make em but really cant be bothered.

I'm also interested in this. regarding use on a street car how would I go about getting these engineered?

wheels are 17" 33 GTR. also brake master cylinder size - what size do the 996 rotors take?

You will end up making them yourselves as there isnt any other way to get them cheaply. Especially since you want 35mm thick fronts which means you are looking at racing rotors. A few years back V8s used 355x35s and it was pretty easy to get that sized rotor for about $550 each. Now that they run 376mm rotors the 355x35mm Brembo and AP rotors are now around $700 each + Hats.

SO, for the front, you are looking at around 2K for rotor and hat, 700-800 for mounts because the big Porka caliper calls for a rather more complex mount. You then are looking at around $1500 for rear rotors and about 500-600 for the mounts.

Dont you just hate brakes!!!!

I think the easiest way to get what I need rotor and hat wise is to use ALL Porsche parts. The porsche calipers use a very wide pad. Fronts are 65mm wipe width and rears are 50mm which is wide for race pads. Performance friction have reasonable price items so I am leaning that way.

Issue is that almost all the race calipers/rotors only have a wipe width of 50mm front and 40mm rear. This cuts down the suitability of 90% the parts on the market.

I found that if I use Porsche hats they will fit with a bit of massaging. The centre hole on a Porsch is smaller so they can be machined to fit an R32 hub. The bolt holes can be drilled to fit by turning the hat 20 degrees and drilling another set.

The offset is 10mm too far inward. But I think a 10mm spacer behind the rotor would fix that. OR making the dog bones to take into account the extra offset may work as well. Havent checked clearance to the suspension yet.

Good thing the calipers are cheap. This is going to take ages to sort out.

Edited by Tektrader69

It not hard at all.

Your on the right track with the spacer behind the rotor. It will rub on the lower ball joint without one.

We use the entire 997/996 rotor and hat just machined to suit with a machined hard anodized spacer.

I actually bought a heap more callipers rotors and pads today to make up a few sets for cars im doing.

The adaptors are complex due to the shape and size of the caliper.

One thing worth mentioning about the 996 caliper particularly the ones you have is that they flex like a bitch. The mountings are too close together, the 996 cup car caliper is better and the 997 calliper has the mountings alot further apart again anD doesn't seem to have the same issues the 996 ones do

it is alot easier to fit the 996 cup calipers to cars with mac struts due to the mounting points being closer but the skyline uprights are easy to work with the 997. The adaptor needs to be as long as the calliper though.

Dont spose you have a set of rotors and hats that I could buy and use Risking? Running out of cash for new stuff.

Did I really need to know about the calipers flexing ?? :P LOL

Edited by Tektrader69