SAU Community

Penalties For Driving A Manual When Only Carrying An Auto Licence

trav_33

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assessors are like police, every one has their different morales, get them chatting and they'll like you enough (or just be too distracted) to notice your flaws

Morley,

FAILED: someone stepped onto the road, assessor beat me to the brakes

FAILED: doing 55 in 60 zone in left lane, "holding up traffic" + parked in middle of empty car park, unmarked bay, "disabled bay!!!"

Both times are Morley I was nervous like a mofo, despite the first assessor trying to make conversation I was quiet, didnt help at all

Midland:

PASSED: Auto, missed multiple blind spots, didnt leave gap between cars at lights,

Made conversation and showed courtesy (leaving gap in left lane stalled traffic for oncoming lane traffic to exit main road), etc

PASSED; Manual, stalled and grinded gears repeatedly, rolling backwards and fowards in traffic, missed blind spots,

Made conversation, and again showed courtesy and common sense behind the wheel.

I can safely say I wasn't that bad :D although I did stall once on a stupidly steep slope. Heh I left it to the last min and my mates dad is an instructor so I drove his i30 for the first time ever 1hr before the test lol. Needless to say starts were abit clunky but other than that all was well. Near the end when he told me I passed we started chatting, told him my first time in that car etc so +1 to conversation. (red as a beetroot and sweaty as a pig when got out of the car..)

Auto test I got everything perfect bar not looking LEFT -_-" at a round about and stuffing a 3 point turn due to bad judgement..

im not talking about L platers who are incompetent with manual cars

i was talking about the guy who had been driving around in manual for ages on his auto licence

1 more time anyone?

Assessors are like police, every one has their different morales, get them chatting and they'll like you enough (or just be too distracted) to notice your flaws

Morley,

FAILED: someone stepped onto the road, assessor beat me to the brakes

FAILED: doing 55 in 60 zone in left lane, "holding up traffic" + parked in middle of empty car park, unmarked bay, "disabled bay!!!"

Both times are Morley I was nervous like a mofo, despite the first assessor trying to make conversation I was quiet, didnt help at all

Midland:

PASSED: Auto, missed multiple blind spots, didnt leave gap between cars at lights,

Made conversation and showed courtesy (leaving gap in left lane stalled traffic for oncoming lane traffic to exit main road), etc

PASSED; Manual, stalled and grinded gears repeatedly, rolling backwards and fowards in traffic, missed blind spots,

Made conversation, and again showed courtesy and common sense behind the wheel.

Shit, im staying away from you on the roads :down: hehe

and I bet you guys nailed your driving tests eh? first time?

I'll admit, I sucked at driving back then, then the more I drove alone the better I got.

IMO experience sinks in faster when driving alone.

and I bet you guys nailed your driving tests eh? first time?

I'll admit, I sucked at driving back then, then the more I drove alone the better I got.

IMO experience sinks in faster when driving alone.

i did wen i first got my license, only thing was 'overturning on a u-turn'???

wen i lost my license (excessive noise) i failed my first time (driving with one hand) and second time i passed with a few small things (following too closely, nipping curb wen parking)

got into a convo with him, he was a freshman he had just completed his second week, so he didnt pik up on the things i know i did wrong!!

LOL the only other option to get away if you hit a BRAND NEW BMW and your insurance isnt covered is ... " claim bankruptcy" LOL yes yous (&$$ for 5 years etc etc but it could be better then slowly paying of 180k lol

but really. they should make it so you have to get a manual licence.. it will be much more convinient - eg some one is dying and the ambulance cant get there fast enough and theres only a manual car .. and if you have no clue on how to drive manual ... lol

My 2c

Edited by triston

Some people cant afford to get manual license... if they only have automatic cars that means all their lessons have to be done with an instructor which can be expensive. The money you save here can go into buying insurance and doing maintenance on your car.

I went through a similar thing... not that i couldn't afford to pay an instructor.. id rather put that money into my car (wb v8 automatic ute at the time)... So my dad taught me to drive and i used his car to get me my automatic license. Then about 8 months later my friend bought a brand spanking new honda euro.. which he was kind enough to let me learn manual in... few months after i used my friends "modded" lancer and past my manual test...

So instead of spending around $500 (avg for 10 lessons @ 50 bucks a pop... not to mention what he or she charges for car hire for the test) for driving lessons i did the test twice which from memory is 27 dollars per test. About a year later i bought my skyline...

For me it was about saving $$$ so i could put it towards my car... If i had a manual car within the family i would of gotten my manual straight off... unfortunately most new cars these days are automatic, so there are many people which are in the same case as me.

So there is nothing wrong with getting your automatic license to start of with...

Same deal with me. I think its probably easier to get an auto license and then learn manual transmision than to learn manual all together. No family members or friends had manual in my case, I got my current job and was taught manual by a co-worker in what is now my own company vehicle (Hilux), 6 weeks of practice (having never driven manual at all before hand), and 2 lessons, passed manual test first time, somehow. I still didnt quiet have the hang of it afterwards, but the more I drove alone the better I got, havent stalled any manual car out in over 6 months.

I didn't pay for any lessons, manual first time.

Some got it, some don't :)

u obviously had a manual car in the family/friends.

Some of us didn't.

agreed with Brendan...

my brother in law had no manual cars at home so got an Auto licence

he had the licence and drove auto for about a year

he then bought a manual car and drove around for months...

he said it took him about 3 days to perfect driving manual...

took the test the next week, passed easy because he already knew all the road rules and all that other jibber jabber

bought an EVO and was a wicked and confident driver

it's all about the experience, not the transmission

i say that because i failed my manual test a few times... all for silly things like speeding and not stopping at a stop sign, the things you can do in an auto... mind you i used to be a sh*t driver back in the day (i'm expecting someone to say the opposite after that comment lol)

i think in nsw once you get your greens you can drive either. but on your reds you have to get a manual license to drive a manual.

and yea, when i first got my l's i started in an auto, i could drive a manual but i wasn't to confident. so i practiced road rules and stuff in the auto then after i few months i jumped in a manual.

i think it's good to put a learner in an auto at first even if they can drive a manual, just to get a feel for things.

Edited by burkill

Too hard to learn how to drive AND learn how to shift gears at the same time? lolwut?

Back when I was 16, I taught myself to drive. Old lady had a 2L 5spd Mondeo which I used to steal late at night or when they went out. Literally got in it one day, and taught myself to drive.. I know it was a very naughty thing to do but you certainly learn fast when you don't want to get caught :D

That thing was funny in the wet.. I remember full lock while heading straight down the middle of two lanes on Selby St.. good times :down:

• 5 weeks later...

The funny thing is I have no idea why the have cracked down on it now? I've driven manual for 1.5 years practically taught myself in a pintara. The car was riced out before I knew what I was doing with cars so was always subject to being pulled over for looking like an idiot. The funny thing is I got pulled over a record 12 times in the car, now the funny thing is none of them said anything to me....about driving a manual....was odd.

I bought an s13 a few months later get stung for it in the first week. Sigh. I did post before saying I was going to get mine now because of all the new laws and don't wanna risk getting it taken of me for 28 days...or any more fines. It seemed to have gotten harder to get a manual license. I passed my auto's first go at welshpool, despite the fact i stopped way before a stop sign and accidently floored it out of a driveway in a busy street.

I went for 2 license tests recently in my girlfriends excel, one at welshpool and one at midland, don't know how but I got the same guy twice. I think he just hates me but I failed twice. First time was because I wasn't checking my mirrors when braking, which is a lie he just wasn't looking I was always looking at the mirrors and because I went too fast around a round-a-bout....??? I was going so slow during the whole thing to make sure I wasn't done for going so fast so its ridiculous. 5 Weeks later at Midland I get the same guy...don't know how....But he failed me because he reckons checking mirrors too much causes an accident and because when I changed lanes I indicated 3 times instead of 5 before changing lane. The street was dead empty...no one would have seen my indicator anyway -_-, also on the you left something at home test...I had no idea pulling in to someones drive way was frowned upon now when turning around. So it's gotten harder and I take offense after driving for 2 years and 1.5 years of that in a manual that I get failed on ridiculous things....in an excel.

Tl;dr Version: I hate licence tests

I went for 2 license tests recently in my girlfriends excel, one at welshpool and one at midland, don't know how but I got the same guy twice. I think he just hates me but I failed twice. First time was because I wasn't checking my mirrors when braking, which is a lie he just wasn't looking I was always looking at the mirrors and because I went too fast around a round-a-bout....??? I was going so slow during the whole thing to make sure I wasn't done for going so fast so its ridiculous. 5 Weeks later at Midland I get the same guy...don't know how....But he failed me because he reckons checking mirrors too much causes an accident and because when I changed lanes I indicated 3 times instead of 5 before changing lane. The street was dead empty...no one would have seen my indicator anyway -_-, also on the you left something at home test...I had no idea pulling in to someones drive way was frowned upon now when turning around. So it's gotten harder and I take offense after driving for 2 years and 1.5 years of that in a manual that I get failed on ridiculous things....in an excel.

What? So does that mean now you can't use someone else's drive way to do a 3 point turn now?