SAU Community

Gts4 Turbo?!?

Ok, I have a GTS4 and am looking to make a mini-zilla out of it.

I have been told the following:

- You can just drop a RB25DET into it and it will be fine.

- RB25DET sump wont fit as its a AWD

- Get a RB26, this will fit but you will need to get the rest of the GTR running gear (this is way out of my budget)

Also had a go searching this and found people talking about a sump that would fit on a RB25DET, is this from another car or is it something that a company has designed for this purpose?!?

I don’t want to do a conversion to the existing motor (im one of those 'there’s a reason there aint a turbo on this block' sort of people) plus it will prob cost more and be somewhat more fiddly.

Any tips on how you go about this project will be helpful.

Oh and as a note i want to do most if not all the work myself as a bit of a project to get to know my car and what’s in it.

Cheers

Cam

So dose that mean if i can get a stageas sump i can just drop an RB25DET with said sump into my GTS4 and it will fit?

No, the 4wd block and the 2wd block are different, so you can't bolt a 4wd sump onto a 2wd block. You need a Stagea 4wd RB25DET.

Cheers

Gary

Ahhhh..ok then i had no idea that it was the actual block that was differant. What about electrics? will that be straight forward though its from the stagea?

Sorry if im asking noob question, but well i am a noob when it comes to all this stuff.

A series one Stagea rb25det will drop straight in, no other wiring will be required, but a change of ecu would be a good idea (powerfc etc) Is your gts4 currently manual or auto?

The only thing that you need to be careful is that you need to use the same diff ratio that you currently have. For example if yours is manual and you get a awd rb25det from an auto stegea (the autos are more common) then you will need to switch you sump/diff from your engine to the new rb25det since they have different ratio diffs.

Other than that is relatively simple, but dont expect it to only cost a couple of grand. You need a new exhaust, intercooler setup, fuel pump, ecu, clutch etc and the list goes on.

Currently my car is manual.

So all i need to do is swap the sump and front dif from my existing car to the new turbo block and it will be peachy?!? (thats if i get a auto stagea rb25det)

Correct?!?

So for the rest of the stuff i need to do...

ECU - Fair enough

Exaust - Easy Done

Fuel Pump - will one out of a r33 gtst work?

Clutch - Saw that comming but fair enough

Intercooler setup - Ok i have no idea about intercoolers and how they are set up apart from they are normaly at the front where the radiator sits.

What else is needed?

and most importantly how much am i looking to be up for these? if some one can break down the costs for me a bit it will realy help (keep in mind i want to do the work myself so laber is on me)

Hi mate, i did have an r33 gts-4 about 5 years ago and wantd to go for the turbo route; at the time jap car mods were expensive so i did get a large quote for the conversion cost.. dont remember completely but it was 16k including engine rebuild/high flow and motec + all support mods

if it was my project id do it in stages; money an issue???

There's nothing wrong with a well set up RB25DE+T (assuming it's a 33).

R33/4 turbo

dump pipe

custom tapped oil/water lines

33/4 det cooler and pipe work

det ex- manifold

det injectors

det ecu?

walbro intank pump

clutch

det front brakes

springs and shocks

Nice responsive 180+rwkw. At that power level, the N/A box and diffs etc.. should hold up

By the time you upgrade to all the det/turbo gear (motor, box, loom, clutch, susp, brakes, diffs, dash, ecu, exhaust, body parts...)you might as well sell the car and buy a 32/3GTR??

Unless it's a 4 door...

Yes the R33 GTS4's have the same drive train as their R33 GTR counterparts.

Just selling my car and buying a nother is out of the question, i like the one i have and ive already started interior mods ect.

Will prob just get a front clip that way i have everything i need bar the exaust, that means im only paying 2-3k for it then doing all the work myself then taking the car to exaust shop and get that done there.

And yes ill be doing it in stages, at the moment ive got some r33 GTR 5 stud hubs and GTST calipers that im replacing the old 4 stud NA hubs with, ive already got HR Tien coilovers all round.

Money will be a slight issue but im not in any rush to get this done so im happy with the brakes for now then save up some more and get a front clip just want to make sure i understand what needs to be done, and how to do it right.

Apart from the exaust is there anything else ill be missing to do the convertion?

i bought a r34 GTfour (non turbo allwheel drive NEO engine) i then bought a stagea NEO rb25 dropped the eninge in with a long 480 nismo's 2835 pro s power fc ETC ETC ETC rewired the enigne bay for the 4wd electrics and the turbo loom got it tuned and now have just under 280 at all four wheels sleeper much

always start with support mods first like a nice 040 fuel pump, splitfire coilpacks, stock turbo manifold, intercooler, dump pipe/front etc

a high flow turbo would be your best bet or something by garrett; as its an NA you want a slightly larger turbine for less thermal stress when boost comes on.

injectors from a gts-t or gtt or spring for 550cc's then save money for when you bolt on everything and tune it.

depending on how you drive im sure your engine will be great for many thousand kms's; ask a bloke on this forum who has done the gts-4 turbo conversion and is wrapped with his car.

Yeh, I can say, as one of the people who's thought about what you're wanting to do, and doing it, I'm really happy with the way things turned out :)

now its just the wanting of more and more power.

However, I preferred to use my current block as I knew the history of it, knew how she ran and still haven't had any problems...

I have done most of the work myself, the only thing that was a pain was getting the oil feed/return lines done.

Adam

Just quickly, i was talking to my dad about putting a turbo on my existing block and he was saying that you would need to shim it out to lower the compression ect that its better off with a turbo block. is this still the case since he hasnt turbo's anything but guessed you would need to shim it like he had to when putting a supercharger on his old FJ.

Going of the fact that a turbo block is designed for a turbo is there any real advantages to doing a swap or is it better to just do a convertion and keep the origional block?

If you plan on making serious grunt on a standard bottom end I would go with the turbo block, however If you paln on rebuilding the bottom end anyway it would be much of a muchness. It really depends on personal preference, and weighing up the cost of buying all the parts to convert your NA to turbo specs or buy an front cut with everything ready to drop in.

So have a look around and ad up the cost of both options and choose for yourself. :(

Just quickly, i was talking to my dad about putting a turbo on my existing block and he was saying that you would need to shim it out to lower the compression ect that its better off with a turbo block. is this still the case since he hasnt turbo's anything but guessed you would need to shim it like he had to when putting a supercharger on his old FJ.

Going of the fact that a turbo block is designed for a turbo is there any real advantages to doing a swap or is it better to just do a convertion and keep the origional block?

there are things you can do to lower compression, easier things like a thicker head gasket so that the head is raised a little more...

when your dad said shim it out, was that the top of the pistons or what part of the motor? I believe.... the na's have a bit of a domed top of the piston whereas turbo ones are flat? correct me if im wrong....

personally I havent done any of that yet and still not had issues, im now looking into a larger turbo when the funds are available and then forging the engine, hopefully with pistons/rods etc suitable for a gtst that I can put into my engine so I can lower the compression a little and forge the engine at the same time...

for now though, IMO, i don't think its neccessary for you to lower compression just yet, once you have all the supporting mods and aiming a fair distance past the 250-270kw+ mark, then probably get into it...