SAU Community

Uk Msn Website Puts R35 As Worlds 4th Ugliest Cars

Sorry did it get 4th or 7th...

Either way I am not sure why they thought it was ugly with a quote like:

"But it ain’t pretty. Impressive, yes. Cool even, the design – like the engineering – fabulously precise and detailed. But undeniably brutish with it, from the gaping grille and Terminator-like beady eyes to the cartoonish, howitzer sized multi-barrelled exhaust system. Untamed aggression is all part of the package though. And we love it!"

Anyway I love it.....like a mother loves an ugly baby.

R35 is far from perfect in terms of looks IMO...not many Jap cars are critically acclaimed for their aesthetics...but that list is just whack. I find many in the list attractive! It's subjective anyway, you can't really make a definitive list as such...unless the authors acknowledge that their opinions mean SFA in terms of population significance :P

Looks too much like something Peugeot designed & would sell-not a fan at all of the look but the tech underneath all that ugliness is tops Glad its known as a R35 cause a Skyline it aint-my 2c

The R35 looks like SHIT in almost all photo's of seen of it online. But in the flesh its bloody beautiful has a big presense and the quality of the build of this car shows through.

When compared to Ferrari's yes it looks very different, its not trying to be $500,000 supercar with curvy sexy body shape, its trying to be a unmistakenly JAPANESE supercar that you can drive everyday and not feel like a show pony showing off just for driving it. I wouldn't use a Ferrari 430 as a everyday car but I certainly do use a R35 for everyday use.

The amount of looks you get in a R35 WOULD not happen if it was UGLY.

I disagree with the last part of your statement. I think looks would happen whether it's ugly or beautiful. As an example of the former, we're all too familiar with the kids in done up Hyundai Excels who get more looks than anyone...for all the wrong reasons. The worst part is, they think you are admiring it and consequently, you inadvertently reinforce the behaviour :)

R35 is going to get looks regardless because they are rare. Also, admittedly even though I don't find it attractive myself it still has a road presence for me...that typical wide and low stance of a supercar. I think it has more non-fans than fans when it comes to appearance, but the only relevant thing is potential buyers finding it attractive I guess. Also, the R35 does look better in person. Photos don't do a good job of picking up the body lines.

Edited by Birds

I think the R35 has a truly magnificent profile, parts of it are just magnificent, some less so, take for instance, side on- from the front door to the nose, just brilliant, rear on looks great, front 3/4 can look a little awkward, but in real life its just so low, wide and mean and looks magnificent from any angle. It draws looks in real life becuase it has huge presence and it's proportions are extraordinary. Rarity plays a role too, but as I have said it has the 'X' factor.

That coming from the ugliest nation of people in the world means SFA in my opinion.

haha beat me to it Paul. I was about to say have you seen some of the pommy girls the brits call good looking?

it's a car that needs to be seen in the flesh to appreciate definately. i was less than impressed when i saw the car first in pics, but the first time i got up close with one it went all away.