SAU Community

Series 2 Rear View Mirror

Get comfortable, this could be a long post...

So I am buying some bits and pieces from the US at the moment, and after reading 'WAZR32GTSt's topic (HERE) on installing a Homelink mirror I bought one from the G35 forums. It was delivered to my cousin in New York who subsequently took a photo of the plug, which I hoped was the same as the plug I already have on my one. Long story short is that it is different, and further down (post 13) in the above topic 'n15m0' puts up a couple of pics of the back of his mirror (from a series 2) which is exactly the same as mine.

So as it turned out n15m0 found out that the plug has to be plugged into the mirror for the intelligent key to work. But heres the thing... I dont have the intelligent key and for me it still doesn't work. So here come my questions...

1) What the hell is in the the S2 mirror that makes it control the central locking?

2) Based on the answer to Q1, am I stuck with the standard mirror now (I'm thinking so), in which case, does this mean it would be possible for me to purchase and switch to an intelligent key?

3) If I were to get the mirror I bought sent over anyway, is there anyone (series 1 only) interested in buying it and a brand new plug and wiring harness (3 wires only)?

Chris Rogers, why do I get the feeling you are my only hope for an answer to Q1 and 2!!

BTW, for those going 'What the hell is an intelligent key?' heres your answer... Yes its cool.

Get comfortable, this could be a long post...

So I am buying some bits and pieces from the US at the moment, and after reading 'WAZR32GTSt's topic (HERE) on installing a Homelink mirror I bought one from the G35 forums. It was delivered to my cousin in New York who subsequently took a photo of the plug, which I hoped was the same as the plug I already have on my one. Long story short is that it is different, and further down (post 13) in the above topic 'n15m0' puts up a couple of pics of the back of his mirror (from a series 2) which is exactly the same as mine.

So as it turned out n15m0 found out that the plug has to be plugged into the mirror for the intelligent key to work. But heres the thing... I dont have the intelligent key and for me it still doesn't work. So here come my questions...

1) What the hell is in the the S2 mirror that makes it control the central locking?

2) Based on the answer to Q1, am I stuck with the standard mirror now (I'm thinking so), in which case, does this mean it would be possible for me to purchase and switch to an intelligent key?

3) If I were to get the mirror I bought sent over anyway, is there anyone (series 1 only) interested in buying it and a brand new plug and wiring harness (3 wires only)?

Chris Rogers, why do I get the feeling you are my only hope for an answer to Q1 and 2!!

BTW, for those going 'What the hell is an intelligent key?' heres your answer... Yes its cool.

cant answer questions 1 and 2 but i'd b interested in the homelink mirror if u post some pics to see :)

cant answer questions 1 and 2 but i'd b interested in the homelink mirror if u post some pics to see :)

Have a look at the pic's in WAZ's thread, its exactly the same as that. I really wanted it so I dont need remotes for the gate and roller door at my house but I hear the autodimming is very good also. It cost me $50US and $30US for the plug and wiring kit. Postage... I'll wear most of that since I'm sending over a box anyway, so at .77AUD conversion, call it $110.

I've got the exact same mirror. Mine however does not work with garage, as chris said - working on radio frequency. It only has a set radio frequency which does not relate to the frequency of the garage door so it cant be used for me.

The auto dimming is excellent though.

Edited by Eldubb

Have a look at the pic's in WAZ's thread, its exactly the same as that. I really wanted it so I dont need remotes for the gate and roller door at my house but I hear the autodimming is very good also. It cost me $50US and $30US for the plug and wiring kit. Postage... I'll wear most of that since I'm sending over a box anyway, so at .77AUD conversion, call it $110.

sounds gd, now its just finding a place that'll install it for a decent price... :)