SAU Community

What causes severe wear on the inside of the front tyres

B-Man

On the Gloria, the front tyres are worn to the belt on the very inside if the tyres - only about like 2cm - it's like someone has filed the corner of the tyre on the inside.

The rest of the tyres are fine - good even - it's only the very far inside corner of the tyre.

The rears are fine.

Yes the car has been lowered.

Originally posted by Silver-Arrowz

Not sure what the suspension on the Gloria is or like but when lowering some cars cause excessive camber. Either that or excessive toe out, I think?

yeah, probably a toe problem, get a wheel alingnment. I think inside wear is toe in tho, not toe out. Either way you should be looking for 0 toe.

Camber, Toe In, Tow Out - ya da ya da - I have know idea what all this stuff is -

I know that camber is when the wheels look really phat cause they are fully on an angle bro - so you can go round corners faster. :D:)

I reckon it has something to do with the fact that the car is lowered - I sketched it out , with the force lines and stuff.

I'll take it to a suspension place after I get rego - Not sure that a wheel alignment will fix this - the wear is fully severe. They will prolly ping me for the tyres when it goes in for a blury tomorrow - but that's cool, I'll get some new tyres and then take it to a suspension place.

Unless, the wheels and tyres are off another car that had a problem - maybe there is nothing wrong - Anyway I'll tak it to the experts.

I thought there might be an easy/quick way to tell if there was something wrong -

When I looked underneath there wasn't anything broken !

Cheers for the help !

Originally posted by B-Man

Camber, Toe In, Tow Out - ya da ya da - I have know idea what all this stuff is -  

taken from whiteline page

Toe is the difference in distance between the front and rear of the tyres. Historically front toe was the only thing that could be modified as rear wheel drive vehicles using a rigid axle had fixed rear toe, usually neutral. Many modern front wheel drives have rear toe adjustment as standard which is critical to their handling.

toe3.gif

Current VT Commodores have an independent rear suspension design that has substantial dynamic toe change requiring after market solutions to correct. Whiteline IRS Camber/Toe adjusting kit is designed to around this problem. Essential when lowering. (See IRS for more details)

Excessive amounts of either will adversely effect tyre wear.

Excessive toe-in makes the car unresponsive and doughy.

Excessive toe-out makes the car nervous and lacking in directional stability.

Minor values are useful for improving turn-in, steering response and masking torque steer.

Excessive wear on the inside is probably 1 of 3 things Brendan:

1. Excessive negative camber. i.e. The bottom of the wheel sits out further than the top of the wheel. (the "phat cause they are fully on an angle bro " of which you speak :P ) or,

2. Excessive toe out. i.e. the front of the wheels are further away from the centreline of the car than the rear of the wheels. They "point out" like each wheel is turning in a different direction. However, the amount of toe out required to do this would make the car very twitchy.

3. The tyres were worn on the outside and swapped over on the rims to hide the problem.

I'd go with 3 or 1.

:D