SAU Community

the best Blow off valves & Air Filters for R32 ?

Hey all,

Im thinking of buying a blow off valve & Air Filter before i get my R32, i was just wondering which ones would be the best to suit it ?

I want to get the Air Filter first because if i like the sound of the stock BOV ill just have the Pod on there, if it sounds good.

cheers.

best airfilter = k&n panel filter that slots into the stock airbox. this means your car is still roadworthy (pod = unroadworthy) and has an equal gain as a pod. you could even route a CAI into the stock airbox

best bov = stock bov, unless you are running above 20psi with your aftermarket turbo. they won't leak at any psi that the stock turbo will run at and it you get one that vent's externally then your car will have stalling problems.

i have the setup mentioned above and i can hear induction noises loudly and can hear the bov when i turn my stereo off.

hope this helps.

cheers,

Warren.

Depending on what aftermarket BOV you get, you may or may not have trouble with stalling. I seriously don't rate the standard BOV they leak something chronic if your car has passed or approaching 80,000kms. Had the standard BOV on my silvia and it was pretty bad, was leaking when just coming onto boost with a little throttle and of course on full boost. If you plan to upgrade your turbo or even just HI-Flow your standard you really should get an aftermarket BOV, otherwise you will begin to get compressor surge because the standard BOV can't flow enough air and to get rid of the boost after you step off the gas.

Nothing wrong with the stock BOV for mild power upgrades, you're better off spending the 300 bucks on something that makes power :)

K&N panel filter is a good first move, wont make much difference til you up the boost though. Spend the BOV money on a bleed valve!

Or use a pod filter and you can hear the stock BOV pretty clearly, particularly at 14psi!

Usually you can tell when your standard BOV is leaking becasue when monitoring the boost gauge it will fall back a little on full boost (no, I am not confusing this with wastegate creep). Also the main other time you can tell if it leaks is when say going up a hill in third when you really should be in second and it's holding 4psi, then the needle will start to kind of tremmor and shake slightly while still holding the same throttle position. If you have a pod you will probably also hear the boost escaping. This is how I found out my BOV was leaking, and then it went on the dyno and that just confirmed it, since I had exhaust and filter upgrades it was running 9psi but would be falling back to about 8psi, got aftermarket BOV and was running 9psi-9.5psi.