SAU Community

Quick Opinion On Buying A Car

Hey guys, I'm looking for a car as I'm getting my license soon and have made the decision to buy a skyline. I have a limit of $10k.

The problem is I don't know if I'm being ripped off here or being sold a lemon. I've seen a 1998 R34 GT for $9200 which I reckon I could haggle down to $8500 maybe if so I shall buy it.

I'm not too positive though as all the other R34's are going for around $11 - $13k. The car is a Japan import with only 94000kms on the clock which is also really low for this price and its age.

It's all stock I can only assume and silver. I have seen another for $9500 with 145000kms which is a P plater selling the car so I'm not to sure whether it'll be a lemon or not but I would prefer to buy it as it's white looks hella sexy and already has a head unit installed saving me the time and money to do so.

Just wondering what you guys would do in this situation, I will probably try to have a look this weekend and see that the body is all good and sus the whole car out after reading the buyer's guide on here.

Cheers.

It's your 1st car.

One thing about 1st cars, is that it will always be remembered :whistling:

But, it needs to be remembered with affection :laugh:

And never ever as a :domokun:

Take mechanical & panelbeating brains trusts with you on your 2nd visit.

Each of you have a list of things to check - whatever the car !!

I would prefer to get a 34 over a 31 more appealing to me, although I haven't seen many 31s. Yea I'll try to get a mechanic to come with me or take in into shop for a quick checkup then the panelbeaters. It looks in good nic in the photos but they can be deceiving i guess. Originally I was looking at a VZ Commodore but there to stereotyped and common, not many people in my neighbourhood have Skylines want to be unique :)

I would prefer to get a 34 over a 31 more appealing to me, although I haven't seen many 31s. Yea I'll try to get a mechanic to come with me or take in into shop for a quick checkup then the panelbeaters. It looks in good nic in the photos but they can be deceiving i guess. Originally I was looking at a VZ Commodore but there to stereotyped and common, not many people in my neighbourhood have Skylines want to be unique :rant:

So far - so good.

Get the VIN# and get it fasted here to see if its history has any 'HRT'

HRT = Hormone Replacement Therapy no not this one.

HRT = Holden Racing Team no not this one either but,

HRT = Hokkaido Rust Terminator :)

Anyways, your panelbeater can tell if there's any rust