SAU Community

R33 Gearbox Rebuild?

skinkis

Hi!

I´ve got some synchro scrape/noise when switching to fourth and fifth gear.

I´ve been told that this is a common problem with the R33 manual gearbox.

Who in Perth could rebuild an R33 gearbox and has someone got an idea what it would cost?

Cheaper picking up a replacement after the labour & part's involved to remove the box then repairing it. I've got one here if needed dude.

Edited by monga

yeah but when your synchros are gone its a pain in the ass. cant shift into certain gears at higher rpm's. I mean its still very driveable but as they said you can replace the g/box with one from a wreckers but who knows if that doesn't have the same problems. Replacing synchro's will set you back about $1000 + labour.

Hi!

I´ve got some synchro scrape/noise when switching to fourth and fifth gear.

I´ve been told that this is a common problem with the R33 manual gearbox.

Who in Perth could rebuild an R33 gearbox and has someone got an idea what it would cost?

Try some Redline oil first

I have the same problem, crunches at high RPM going to 4th. might try some Redline oil first, but am considering rebuilding the box if or when it fails.

If i was to get a box from the wreckers is there a fair chance it could be also hammered n soon will scrap?

If i was to rebuild is there any way to make the syncro's and gears stronger with aftermarket parts? or a is there other boxes you can put in that are better / stronger?

well if you want your gearbox syncros replaced i had a few replaced and my gearbox fixed up (bearing was fked inside it) at perfect transmissions in bibra lake, awesome guy knows his transmissions! him and a friend were the only ones to actually guess RIGHT what was wrong with my car..all other mechanics wouldve cost me 2k+ (due to them going to replace the clutch first...) only cost me 1k total for new syncros and some bearings fixed oh and new thrust bearing just for the sake of it (even though i had a new clutch in anyway) :P

only cost me 1k total for new syncros and some bearings

Did they do all the labour then as well? Or did you take down ur gearbox and left it with them?

basically took the car to the shop to get a crunching fixed (was the bearing) and he fixed it (he does cash jobs to)

uhm wasn't a recon but he atleast told me the condition of the gearbox which is it's still good (strong gearboxes :()

but yeah...1k cash for labour + syncros (2nd and 3rd i had replaced i think it was...) + bearing + thrust bearing

my advice is though if you DO see him... ask when he actually NEEDS the car.. cause he had mine for a couple of weeks lol before he got to work on it (he can be very busy) like 10 cars somehow fit into his shop... i dunno how haha

good place though ;) great guy

basically took the car to the shop to get a crunching fixed (was the bearing) and he fixed it (he does cash jobs to)

uhm wasn't a recon but he atleast told me the condition of the gearbox which is it's still good (strong gearboxes :( )

but yeah...1k cash for labour + syncros (2nd and 3rd i had replaced i think it was...) + bearing + thrust bearing

my advice is though if you DO see him... ask when he actually NEEDS the car.. cause he had mine for a couple of weeks lol before he got to work on it (he can be very busy) like 10 cars somehow fit into his shop... i dunno how haha

good place though ;) great guy

Sounds like it´s worth to pay them a visit. Should be alot cheaper if I just get the gearbox of and hand that one in... should save some money on labour...

Sounds like it´s worth to pay them a visit. Should be alot cheaper if I just get the gearbox of and hand that one in... should save some money on labour...

Also what I was thinking.

Anyone know if it's true that 34gtt boxes have dual synchros?

i've heard of that before... i can possibly call up the dude who took apart my gearbox lol but yeh... i mean i had the option as well as goin well do i fix my gearbox.. or replace it... it came to the 'if i replace it...it could be as rooted as my current one :S'

so i fixed it :(

i mean i had the option as well as goin well do i fix my gearbox.. or replace it... it came to the 'if i replace it...it could be as rooted as my current one :S'

so i fixed it :down:

I´ve come to the same conclusion... What if.... That´ll suck!