SAU Community

Thermo

G0DZLR

ever since iv had my car (18months now i think :)) the thermo fan on front of the radiator, i dont think its ever turned on. im guessing its linked to the A/C? how much are new ones...and is it worth getting a second hand one or am i better off buying a brand new one. im wanting to retrofit one from a VX SS commodore, cos i know they move alot of air :(

pretty sure its more of an emergency fan, IE if it gets hotter than a set temp it will kick in.

The aircon wouldnt need it, see the MASSIVE clutch fan sitting there? :mrt: put your hand infront of the radiator when the cars inside and feel how much air rushes past your hand heh

pretty sure its more of an emergency fan, IE if it gets hotter than a set temp it will kick in.

The aircon wouldnt need it, see the MASSIVE clutch fan sitting there? :mrt: put your hand infront of the radiator when the cars inside and feel how much air rushes past your hand heh

guy is right. I remember waaaaaaay back when we had this discussion. That fan will only kick in if things get heated. More so in summer. In winter you will not see it on.

Mine turned on in summer, sitting there idling with a/c on, after a couple of mins the aux fan turned on. If water temp goes over 95ish degs she turns on. Temp switch is in the bottom of the radiator.

what's the normal water temp for an rb25det/neo with all thermos and radiator working properly ? I just recently hooked up a new water temp gauge (aftermarket) to my radiator hose (grounded and insulated) and it shows temps never higher than 86 degrees or so.

BUT the ecu (using consult) shows up to 96 degrees.

An auto sparky I spoke to said to me he's seen a problem like this once (not on a skyline) and it turned out to be an ECU problem ..the battery inside the ecu was dead and reason why it was showing wrong voltages for the factory water temp sensor. Once he changed the battery inside the ecu, that fixed it. Any ideas if Skyline ecu's have batteries inside of them ?

i'm not aware of there being a battery inside the ecu, but could be wrong.

the normal operating temp for a skyline is about 86 degrees. if your ecu was reading up to 96 then it could be the temp senser that is faulty.

I guess its just as likely or more likely that I have crap clogging my 10 year old factory radiator/hoses or perhaps even the thermostat sticking a bit... whats the most likely? Where to start? Hate spending time and money and getting 0 results (like a $200 genuine o2 sensor that brough 0% fuel economy improvements)

I guess its just as likely or more likely that I have crap clogging my 10 year old factory radiator/hoses or perhaps even the thermostat sticking a bit... whats the most likely? Where to start? Hate spending time and money and getting 0 results (like a $200 genuine o2 sensor that brough 0% fuel economy improvements)

Id say thats a good start...

If it was me, i would be doing a full system flush out. Drain the radiator and overflow, and if you can, find the bolt on the block to drain the block too. (there ARE pictures somewhere on SAU.. someone might have them handy.) I think it could also possibly be the water drain from the turbo?? Not sure.

Run some of that anti gunk crap through the system, flush it again, new thermostat would be a great investment, and if you want a new radiator cap too. New coolant, fresh water and i guess you could throw some water wetter in there if you wanted too.

i have never found those gunk remover stuff to be all that effective. the best way is to get it professionally cleaned as they actually remove the end tanks to do it.

that said, there is no garantee that this will do anything (although certainly not a bad thing to have done anyway). but the point is that you said that your aftermarket gauge is reading different to the ecu. this means that 1 of the gauges is reading incorrectly. where did you mount the sensor for the new gauge?

edit: if you do decide to get a new radiator cap, i wouldn't go any higher pressure than stock, for the simple fact that they are designed to release pressure at a certain level. if you go a higher pressure, the pressure it releases at may be higher than what other components in the cooling system can handle, so you may end up blowing a hose or an end tank of the radiator.

the aftermarket gauge sensor is in the top left radiator hose ..about 20cm from the factory sensor

Thanks for the tip re cap .. I'm not gonna change the cap unless I can source a new oem one cheaply.

instead of mucking around with the puny factory radiator that may be clogged and need recon I was thinking of getting something aftermarket when i spotted this for only $199

has anyone used these FLYN 40mm dual core radiators ? Are they any good? I really don't wanna put some yumcha item that's gonna work like shit and overheat my engine http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FLYN-RADIATOR-FOR-R...alenotsupported

mmm chicken feet .. can I get some beaks too?

Don't think my radiator is blocked ... just my ECU for some f**ked up reason is reporting 7-8 degrees MORE for water temperature (via Consult) then it really is.