SAU Community

R32 - Gts-t V Gtr Rear End, Knowledge Requested Please :)

Marlin

Heya folks, I did a search but didn't really find a succinct answer from a known knowledgable source, so I figured it best to ask the MS gurus :)

Now, as some of you know, I club track and tarmac rally my little GTS-t.

At this level (read: not huge power!), what are the benefits of installing the GTR rear cradle/diff/shafts/hubs etc?

I'd like to install ABS down the track, and I know the GTR housing/shafts are set up for the sensors, so that's one benefit.

Alloy hubs, ok, another benefit due to weight, but really?

New hubs mean I also need GTR type shocks.... another expense!

Diff clutch packs.... I've never ever driven a GTR, even with a shimmed up diff, that hooks up like the diff in my GTS diff now (no, mine isn't std), thoughts on that, what to do? Power down is Very important for me.

And if it really is worthwhile doing it, does anyone have a rear end they wanna sell less brakes?

Appreciate ya help fellas!

what are the benefits of installing the GTR rear cradle/diff/shafts/hubs etc?

I also need GTR type shocks.... another expense!

Diff clutch packs.... I've never ever driven a GTR, even with a shimmed up diff, that hooks up like the diff in my GTS diff now (no, mine isn't std), thoughts on that, what to do? Power down is Very important for me.

And if it really is worthwhile doing it, does anyone have a rear end they wanna sell less brakes?

Appreciate ya help fellas!

I can’t help with the rest, but we put a GTR rear end into a mates R32 Gtst and just unbolted the suspension points from the Gtst rear end put them onto the GTR rear end – Thus allowing us to keep his Gtst Buddy Club coilovers.

GTR half shafts are bigger, so would never physically fit/work with a Gtst diff AFAIK.

Wasn’t a hard job, wasn’t really worth the effort – We only did it for the more meaty half shafts :)

The Axles are f**kING heavy compared to std, I know had to carry some on the spirit of tasmania once!

Think the pickup points on the hubs are slightly different to i think have a pic someone where? ive got a pair of the alloy hubs sitting here at home.

Pretty sure the ABS sensor is on the snout of the diff not the hub too.. sif you would want to change that BANGER of a diff!!!!

My memory tells me that the ABS wheels are on each halfshaft, whith the ABS sensors having a casting on the diff housing. Can someone confirm?

Fatz, I was thinkin of you when I wrote that, knew you'd have one, PM a 4 mate.... son of rajab knows how I can freight it though, but I do have a TNT account.

every shimmed GTR diff I've driven will still spin an unloaded wheel, say when corner cutting or curb hopping, is there something the Baron does thats different, like maybe some secret CIG plating? lol

Edited by Marlin

I'll add that I'm a bit pissed that I gave away all this GTR shit after I sold my 32gtr because I couldn't stand looking at it, who'd have thunk that one day I'd find myself looking for gtr shit to put on a gts..... grrrrrr.

most guys that have 'shimmed' the GTR diffs have just had it set with tighter with a spacer washers etc. the nismo kit replaces all the disks inside it. completely changes the way it works. you end up with more friction disks than you used to have and a higher initial breaking torque (and you can chose between 75 ft/lb or 45ft/lb). it works just exactly the same as a nismo 2 way LSD, in fact it is the same as the original competition nismo 2 way LSDs (now they have fancier ones with adjustment etc, but the basics are still the same). best $300 you can spend on a GTR just about.

cradle pick-up points are a little different I believe. obviously you get the LSD too (which with the $300 kit becomes excellent), and yes the alloy hubs and bigger driveshafts are good. especially for a rwd car having nice big rear shafts wont hurt. the obvious downside is changing shock mounts but it's not too big a deal.

Thanks Baron!

Ok, so really, besides having bigger shafts, which at my power level is a dubious requirement, what's the advantage?

Is it all worth the trouble? Would there be a measurable improvement? The thing isn't exactly a slouch now.

in your case since you already have a diff you're happy with and have coil-overs to suit the current set-up then all you are really getting is stronger drive shafts, alloy hubs and ABS sensors.

so for you possibly not worth it. but for most guys that still have the stock rubbish viscous GTST diff and haven't yet bought suspension they are going to stick with then it works out quite well as they get an upgrade to the 2 way GTR mech diff, and all the other small benefits.

Hmmmmmm.

I think I might stick with what I have then. I do need to have some other shocks made for it, but if I keep the GTS layout then I'll be able to keep my Apexi coil overs as spares I figure.

Do we know when we can normally expect GTS shafts to start breaking? Should I have broken it by now? I'm on my 3rd rb20 gearbox now :P

Cheers gents!

you been speaking to benson? i was floating that idea by him. I'm running a barron Nismo kit in my GTR and it's great. Does anyone know how it comparest to a new nismo pro? as i can get a bran new gtst one for $500, but i don't want it much more aggressive, as the my GTR one is just nice. I'm going to run the alloy hubs on mine, and probably basterdise the diff case for ABS sensors, as the gtst half shafts have the recess to put the ABS pick up where the GTR one is. But the GTR center won't work with gtst half sharfts :P

I haven't spoken to Benno about anything, well, nothin except love, life, and the ways of this world.....

What are you refering to Benny? You know my thoughts on this stuff, a GTS-t is suppossed to be a budget racer, and if I don't need to spend a grand for little or no benefit, well, I just won't. I don't see the need to change for change's sake.

the new nismo pro is a little bit more progressive than the baron nismo GTR diff kit. lol. and the new pro has adjustment. I'm pretty sure it has 2 cams too so you can rotate the halves and make it 1.5 way (less agressive lock on deccel) or full 2 way. the stock GTR diff is not that agressive under decell anyway so you would probably never use the adjustment on it.

the nismo diff kit was good enough for mark and russ in their 32 and everyone I know who's got one reckons it's the way to go for the GTR. replacing the spacers etc with more friction plates, and more agressive friction plates really transforms how it feels.

see for guys that have a complete stock GTST rear end, they find that a new jap LSD centre for their POS viscous diff will cost around $1500. then they realise they can find a GTR cradle, LSD, shafts and hubs for reasonable money. sell their GTST gear to someone who's bent one, but the nismo diff upgrade for peanuts and then they've now got alloy hubs, beefy shafts and a nice LSD. and they can run GTR suspension of which there is a much wider choice available.

but for people who've already upgraded the diff in their current GTST cradle and already have found and bought GTST suspension it doesn't much as much sense. but starting from stratch, GTR rear end is probably a good idea. you straight up save $1500 on a pricey jap diff centre and instead just spend a few hundred getting the upgraded clutches for the GTR diff you get with your cradle.