SAU Community

Steering Randomly Goes Heavy - R33 Skyline

Hey guys,

Referring to my R33, the steering randomly goes heavy when it feels like it. I think it normally happens after drifting, or giving the car some general love.

Im thinking maybe the sensitibity sensor.computer is playing up and gets confused when the car is thrown around and then makes the steering go heavy...? You normally goes light again shortly afterwards.

Can somebody please advise what this could be as I really need it fixed before winton.

Oh, and I have a hicas lock bar fitted, tien castor rods, sway bars, solid cradle bushes, adjustable arms etc. Not sure how thats relevant but im sure the hicas lock bar may have some relevance to the issue?

Your urgent advice is much appreciated.

Sounds like problem with HICAS. As a temporary fix just pull the HICAS fuse and it shouldn't give you any problems.. usually ideal to remove HICAS completly (and whatever lines are left) as well as lockbar it down

Ok I just noticed my first post made no sense what so ever because i wrote it all in under 32 seconds at work.

In a nut shell. My hicas system has been removed and replaced with a HICAS lock bar. I need to find out why my steering randomly goes heavy and am thinking it must relate to the speed sensitivity sensor and not the hicas because the HICAS has been removed...?

I have done a search, but havnt found what im looking for because most people with SLIGHTLY similar issues are having them with their HICAS system still present where as mine is removed.

Thanks

Dean

There is, but there are other sensors involved as well, and other causes, might just start with the easy stuff first.. seeing as he hasn't said that he has done a diagnostic either.. Hicas unit will still be there, it modulates the steering assist solenoid, just the hicas actuator on the rear chassis has been removed.

Edited by heller44

Ive pretty much got the same set up with Hicas lock in my 33, My steering occasionally goes harder but I put it down to my speedo being intermittent and this causing the speed sensitive steering to fail. Not sure???

I'll drive along and the steering will be hard (but not hard like no power steering at all) but then as soon as my speedo comes to life the steering goes light. (This happened to me before i had hicas lock & hicas diag comes up clean)

So im wondering if its to do with either the speedo sensor signal or as mad082 said....

i think there is also a solenoid that alters the weight of the steering (controls the fluid flow).

Ive changed power steering fluid, checkd for air bubbles and still get randomness. :S

I don't have access to the body wiring schematics for an r33, if you do I could suggest some points to start looking.. I'm not certain how the speed signal is routed or generated in the r33. Only thing I would suggest is to start by pulling the cluster out and inspecting the connectors and harness, there, on the attachment at the sensor on the gearbox, and if it is like the r32 where there is a bunch of connectors near the engine bay fuse box as the speed signal may go in the same loom as the neutral switch and reverse switch..

Edited by heller44

My 32 constantly stays heavy,not like no power steering but still heavy enough,changedfluid,ps pump and belt and still the same,might just tinker with the wiring before winton,not hard to drive but a bit lighter would be an advantage

R32's do it when the speedo cable/sensor whatever fails.

Could be something to do with that. Its tied in with the speedo sensor and the hicas thats all i remember, but feels really hard and i think if u put little force constantly on ur steering wheel it will kick back slightly, hard to explain