SAU Community

Im240 Emissions Test

Blinky101

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

copied from antilag posted last night

I have just returned from a meeting held tonight run by the AAAA. They have been in touch with the Ministers office and the word is that this IM240 testing as it is now, is going to be quashed inside of the next couple of days.

This doesn’t mean that emission testing is cancelled, but the testing and implementing of the test, are going to be postponed, pending the proper consultation with vehicle industry, manufactures, industry bodies like AAAA, MTA, IAME, and the minsters office.

Anyone considering having an IM240 done prior to this announcement should delay or seek advice from the AAAA to save financial loss.

There may well be compensation due to the wrongful implementing of this testing. Hopefully.

Details of contact

Paul Raike

Membership Development Manager - Southern Region

Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association (AAAA)

Suite 5, 622 Ferntree Gully Road,

MULGRAVE VIC. 3170

Mobile: 0432 210 042

Office: (03) 9561 7044

Fax: (03) 9561 7066

E-mail: [email protected]

Web: www.aaaa.com.au

I was given 28 days from the 1st of September.

So how would this new information, relating to the squashing of the IM240 test rules affect me if I have already been ordered to complete the test by an inspector. Who would I have to write to to find out???

I will happily make the modifications to my car, and make my emissions legal, but being given 28 days to do it with nothing but scetchy half arsed information is a joke.

What to do???

Blinky

Yeah, I just spoke to the bro in law about it, I am going to talk to my inspector tomorrow as I still have 3 things he wanted me to fix from my original yellow. Hopefully he has heard this news and will revoke the work order without the IM240.

I will also be posting a similar question on Antilag (as soon as I can work out the site) to see if anyone in high up positions can help meget it taken off my work order.

Blinky

p.s I am smiling again...

Yeah, I just spoke to the bro in law about it, I am going to talk to my inspector tomorrow as I still have 3 things he wanted me to fix from my original yellow. Hopefully he has heard this news and will revoke the work order without the IM240.

I will also be posting a similar question on Antilag (as soon as I can work out the site) to see if anyone in high up positions can help meget it taken off my work order.

Blinky

p.s I am smiling again...

Why did they want you to do IM240 to begin with ??

Had client told that he would need to do IM240 on his stock 1957 Chev :)

The inspector I saw is a pretty good bloke, and it broke his heart to make me do the test, but he said that it was the new regulation handed down by the DPI and if he didnt do it then he could possibly lose his license to do the sticker jobs.

As it is, I am a victim of my own eagerness to have the sticker removed. I got it on Saturday, and had it over the pits on Tuesday. Maybe if I had waited a few more days I would have never heard of this bloody IM240 test.

Blinky

From Konsteckis I have been told that modified cars do pass this test. Yes it's expensive, but it is just as expensive to keep pulling gear off your car and replacing it every time you get pulled over by a cop. I agree with Nic A31 as that sounds stupid.

Blinky

what...?

get a yellow... return your car to stock (if it's not too modified and you have stock parts it will take no longer than two days with a few mates... 5 max by yourself every night after work) - this option won't cost you anything but your time...

or pay a workshop $250 - $400 to do it and $80 to pass the pits

thats a cost of $480 max

as opposed to going to KEC to do the test at a total cost of $1200 minimum...?

according to my maths, i'm pretty sure $480 is much less than $1200

and you only replace it when you get a yellow... not when you get pulled over, if you get pulled over enough you'll realise that they hardly ever hand out yellows, it's unpredictable really

going to the pits and getting yellow stickers is the risk all of us Skyline drivers take...

nothing personal, just telling it how it is - if you've experienced it you'll understand

What happens if you get a yellow for your exhaust (too loud, hanging too low, etc), you think the guy at the pits is going to believe that a factory exhaust is responsible for the black marks up the rear bumper and noise complaints ? they're not that stupid.

Paying $480 every time you cop a yellow ISNT cheaper than $1200+ to get the setup you do want legal, then neither police or the guys at the pits can argue, you dont have the hassle of changing it every time you are cursed with a yellow.

Edited by Nic_A31

What happens if you get a yellow for your exhaust (too loud, hanging too low, etc), you think the guy at the pits is going to believe that a factory exhaust is responsible for the black marks up the rear bumper and noise complaints ? they're not that stupid.

black marks? because you're running rich i presume... get the running rich problem fixed so it doesn't make black marks anymore

as for the remarks about the pit inspectors and how they're not stupid... we all know they check at least ten cars a day EACH if they're at a busy Vehicle Inspection Centre... thing is, they test the car as it is... not how it COULD be or how it WAS.. just like how a police officer will give you a yellow for what you HAVE on your car... not what they THOUGHT or KNOW you HAD

Paying $480 every time you cop a yellow ISNT cheaper than $1200+ to get the setup you do want legal, then neither police or the guys at the pits can argue, you dont have the hassle of changing it every time you are cursed with a yellow.

paying $480 for the first time is cheaper than paying the $1200 for KEC and to legalise your modifications

the second time you're paying another $480 so that's $960 which is still cheaper than $1200

and the third time would be $1440 which is only $240 more than going to KEC...

and if you really want to legalise your car without going to KEC... just buy permits so when you do get a yellow (even after the police officers ignore the permits and give you a yellow anyway) you can breeze through the pits and won't ever need to do an IM240 test

thing is, how many people will be pinged 3 times to get the yellows? HARDLY anyone here would have had that many yellows and i say hardly as i know a few people here who have had a few yellows before...

thing is, the $1200 i quoted is the CHEAPEST the testing will be... if you're unlucky you'll have to pay more

to get the yellow and have to take the IM240 test... you'll have to first be pulled over, then get yellowed, then not pass the pits, then get told by a pit inspector you're required to take an IM240 test

if it happened to you you're bloody unlucky, all i know is that the odds of you getting done for an IM240 test compared to just getting the yellow off by removing parts or not getting the yellow at all are extremely slim

lastly... all the workshops i've spoken to say that most pit inspectors don't like handing out the test, especially those at Midland and the chief inspector there hates the idea... and they really only target (very vague statement i know) cars with high-mounts and mods at that level... if you've got an aftermarket intercooler and cat-back... the odds of getting done are slim

as mentioned, nothing personal... but if you've been over the pits lately you'll know what i'm talking about... if you haven't then you won't know and will continue to disagree

A new bit of info to pass onto everyone.

There is a second place in Perth that conducts the IM240 test. They are called Orbital Consulting. I have left a message with them and are waiting for a call back to discuss the process.

Also still getting the run around by the DPI regarding the postponment of the testing. As far as they are concerned at this stage it is all engines forward with guns blazing.

Blinky

First off, blinky, if you read the pasted posts from antilag, it says to call the AAAA to seek advise on whether you have to do the IM240 test.

Secondly, Orbital Engineering has been able to do the testing for a long time but are closed to the public I believe. When I used to work for the Automotive R&D company we used them to certify the gas engines to Euro2/3/4 standards.

Everyone else, stop spouting bullshit.

A new bit of info to pass onto everyone.

There is a second place in Perth that conducts the IM240 test. They are called Orbital Consulting. I have left a message with them and are waiting for a call back to discuss the process.

Also still getting the run around by the DPI regarding the postponment of the testing. As far as they are concerned at this stage it is all engines forward with guns blazing.

Blinky

Orbital will cost you minimum $3000 and ya will be waiting about 7 months for them to do the test because they do not want to bother doing them

Ok everyone, I am getting close now.

I have spoken to the AAAA after Neurogliders comments. I have spoken with some people there and am now armed with some good ammunition to take to the DPI. With all hope I should have my situation resolved by the end of tomorrow.

After that I will explain in dot point what I have learnt. At this stage I will tell you that an official statement from the DPI is expected next week regarding the postponment of the IM240 testing regime!!

Blinky