SAU Community

Turbo Hi-Flow In Vic - HELP!

gtstii

Guest RedLineGTR

a couple of pipes to get off and a decent amount of bolts oil lines and coolant lines..if u have time it shouldnt be hard...find out how much it costs them to do it see if u can justify spending that much...when bolting it back on u will need a torque wrench to get them bolts right...if u do it yourself u will learn much more about your car, and less money wasted

Taking the turbo off is easier than putting it back on, due to the cooling lines, some of the bolts are hard to get at and are very tight, be prepared to bleed from the knuckles a little and swearing is good too! altogether fairly straight forward for some one who is mechanically inclined, BTW, ATP won't remove and refit. and you would be surprised how many workshops Kyp does work for. very good idea for you to do it yourself to learn about your car:uh-huh:

ATP is the go! Have seen and heard alot of good stuff come out of there. If i keep my car, i will be taking my turbo there for the upgrade.

Stay well away from ATS! Have only heard of bad experiences from there, and have personally seen a hack job done on a VL (no great loss :wassup: ).

[i'm happy to do it and "learn about my car" as long as I don't screw it up in the process!!]

That's what were all here for, any problems, post them here. :D

thanks man!! :cheers:

If I end up going with ATP and don't want to take it off myself, how else can I get the turbo to them???

Last time i spoke to Kyp he was not interested in removing and refitting turbos, this was about 3 months ago, he may have changed his mind on this / employed someone else. His main focus is the rebuild itself usually done for workshops around australia. don't sweat it just give him a buzz.He will be able to recommend a workshop to do the remove and re-fit if you are hesitant to take it on yourself. :Bang:

Last time i spoke to Kyp he was not interested in removing and refitting turbos, this was about 3 months ago, he may have changed his mind on this / employed someone else. His main focus is the rebuild itself usually done for workshops around australia. don't sweat it just give him a buzz.He will be able to recommend a workshop to do the remove and re-fit if you are hesitant to take it on yourself.  :Bang:

I wasn't too worried about taking it off but not so sure about putting it back on - you know, gaskets, tightening torque of bolts on turbo etc.... also not sure if i can find the time!

If my exhaust wheel has shit itself, does this mean it's stuck in my exhaust at my cat - do I have to take apart the exhaust to take this out?

If the exhaust turbine is gone then the dump and cat have to come off, and the small pieces of plastic/ceramic have to be tapped out of the front of the cat. Any workshop will have to store your car while work is outsourced, if you have a good work environment at home I may be able to refer a technician with the relevant experiance to remove and refit for you depending on your location. :cheers: :wizard: ....sorry love the new smilies!!!

The exhaust side is the usual culprit on a skyline, the engine will still start and run if this is the case, but with no power to speak of. if the probem has occured on the inlet side then the engine will have processed the turbine and that is very bad, and rare. :zap:

The exhaust side is the usual culprit on a skyline, the engine will still start and run if this is the case, but with no power to speak of. if the probem has occured on the inlet side then the engine will have processed the turbine and that is very bad, and rare. :zap:

I would say its the exhaust wheel cos car still starts fine and runs ok except for no power, no boost and a massive whining sound when the turbo starts to spin.

I had to drive it home a few k's from where it happened and although it had no power, everything else seemed fine!

that's good to hear! Did you know that you can pick up a second hand unit from as little as $400, not every one has $2000 to spend on a turbo..... nice excuse though!! :aroused:

yeah but i didnt want to get a second hand stock turbo cos knowing my luck it'll just go again - do i have any other options which are cheaper than $1500?

Yes you do but time is money. A friend is importing a high mount with manifold, external wastegate, dump etc for less than that but won't get it for a month or two plus the month or two that has already passed since the purchase in japan! All good things come to those with patience! ...... and money....and contacts! however ..that said we wait to see the actual condition of the turbo. importing anything has its risks. the benefits of having your existing turbo high flowed are obvious. Also cheaper option may be to have the bare minimum upgrade done. But I am unclear on pricing. Mabe some of the more experienced forum members will see this thread and give their input on this topic. :fart: