SAU Community

Os Giken Cross Gear Set

LedZepLen

Has anyone used a os giken cross gear set? What exactly is it? Is it straight cut or helical? I'm just lookin to put together a gtr and need something reliable and consistent enough to drag race with high hp numbers without dropping $16,000 of rip off to transfer the power.

hellical cut gears with slightly more agressive (straighter) angle. and it's still synchro engagement (in fact still uses the factory synchros). they are quite good but like all boxes not indestructible.

I have both Trust dog and 2 os giken boxes. Both are excellent, but trust dog is a pain in slow street traffic. I had an OS box behind my R32 until I spun a big end bearing recently at 9300 and 550kw at wheels, so I am putting the dog box back in with new motor. I couldn't change gears at 9000 on the strip being a synchro box. If your dragging with serious power a dog box is the only option I'm afraid.

I will have an OS for sale soon though as I'm going back to a stock rebuilt box in my 330kw R33 which is running my other OS box. I don't think at that power I need an OS box in it. I'll be keeping one spare though just in case I stop dragging the R32 and want to drive in the street.

I run stock 5th's in both OS boxes too as I think the OS 5th's are too short for a street car.