SAU Community

M35 Turbo Noise

wailiam

Hi Guys

I just drove a M35 bog standard with the stereo turned off. The engine is pretty smooth but upon acceleration you can hear a whine\whistle that goes with the RPM of the turbo. Being a standard car i'm not sure if this is normal. Do any of you know? I have previously owned a Skyline with RB25DET in it and you couldnt hear the turbo at all.

It kinda puts me off wanting an M35. Reminds me of a bad stereo install where u can hear whining noises from the speakers.

cheers

Wil

Hi Guys

I just drove a M35 bog standard with the stereo turned off. The engine is pretty smooth but upon acceleration you can hear a whine\whistle that goes with the RPM of the turbo. Being a standard car i'm not sure if this is normal. Do any of you know? I have previously owned a Skyline with RB25DET in it and you couldnt hear the turbo at all.

It kinda puts me off wanting an M35. Reminds me of a bad stereo install where u can hear whining noises from the speakers.

cheers

Wil

I think you will find the turbos rear bearing is on the way out and it will probably need a rebuild soon.

They are a little noisier than the average turbo car due to the placement, right in front of the passengers feet.

I think you will find the turbos rear bearing is on the way out and it will probably need a rebuild soon.

They are a little noisier than the average turbo car due to the placement, right in front of the passengers feet.

I think it didnt sound unhealthy. Seems like most M35's have this noise. I'll have to learn to live with it, just turn up the stereo. I'm turning into an old man, dont like loud exhausts, air filters, BOV anymore. These days I like it when the engine and exhaust are quieter I feel like its got effortless power so when I overtake someone they are like "woah where did that come from"...

:)

The snail in a stock C34 is audible, more so with a SS dump (less insulating than the OEM cast/mild dump).

Without actually hearing it, I wouldn't say that it was good or bad. Some cars are quite noisy, others are quiet. The FJ20 has a real whistle, whereas the RB25 is more like a gentle 'howling' noise. They'll all get mighty noisy if the turbine intake gasket is buggered - been there and tried to drive avoiding boost because of the deafening shrieking it made.

:O

Short answer: YES it is normal.

The C34 turbo is audible, though fairly faint and generally more noticeable at lower revs as you just come onto boost.

In the M35, its the same sound - like a faint (ie. not harsh) whistle but much louder than the C34. I put this down to better airflow through the VQ25 plus the fact the M35 runs fairly high boost from the factory compared to the C34.

My prev s2 had a cracked exhaust manifold and the turbo was starting to go when I bought it and that made the turbo quite loud but a very different sound. If its not a harsh metallic sound then you should be fine.

My M35 has now done 25000+km since I bought it and the turbo's still going strong.

Yeah my wifes car does the same she dosent notice it that much as she is playing kids dvds most of the time.

Hey pixel8r I think you live close to me we should compare our cars one day.

Yours is the white one yeah? I see it every now and then :)

ducati02 and pixel8r - Where are you guys in Adelaide?

I'm just north of the city (Grand Junction Rd) - I've only ever seen 3 other M35s around...a white one, a blue one and a silver ARX.

Hi im at gulfview hts im the white one and pixel8r is the blue I think. It would be good to check out another m35 in the area one day