SAU Community

Help With Speedo

Curtis.Cow

Hey,

im still having right dramas with my speedo,

Ive looked for the problem for a couple of days now and cant find anything...

is there any common problems with the speedo, what happens is i start off slow and the speedo gets stuck on 0, then it just flicks up to about 80kms, then when i keep going faster it flicks up to 120 and just stays there, when i slow down its the reverse... :) im not sure what will fix it...any help would be appricated

Cheers :P

Almost always the speedo cable from the gearbox to the dash either needs to be fixed or replaced.

LOL

alrighy, does the r33 have a cable or is it a senor or something?>

cheers :thumbsup:

No they dont have a cable, they have a sensor in the side of the gear box, the 2 things i would check is the sensor and the actuall speedo in the dash, would probably be easier to check the sensor signal first, if thats good then try the actuall speedo in the cluster or a whole new cluster, which ever is easier.

Edited by W0rp3D

LOL

No they dont have a cable, they have a sensor in the side of the gear box, the 2 things i would check is the sensor and the actuall speedo in the dash, would probably be easier to check the sensor signal first, if thats good then try the actuall speedo in the cluster or a whole new cluster, which ever is easier.

its looking like a hole new cluster haha =.= very homosexual

Another option (assuming the speedo feed is fine) is look at maybe an avcr or something like that, they have a digital speedo in them and you can use that instead of your normal speedo.

from my own looking into this problem, the ECU gets the signal from the cluster - so if your cluster doesnt have a speed signal you ECU wont either.

i get everything but the speed, i get the km's ive traveled and revs and all but just not speed -.- its very annoying, i think it might be the speedo its self or the choped wires so imma just get a new one.

what would you guys recomend?

cheers :P)

you still get the KMS clocking over?

mine doesnt do that unless the speedo works, sounds like a cluster issue. like someone pulled the needle off for an EL guage kit or something and broke it.

ECU pulls current speed from the wheel speed sensors, not the gearbox.. dash gets it from the gearbox. That's what I'm sure of anyway.

does it pull it from the wheels? Im so stuck with this speedo i wanna :) someone

does it pull it from the wheels? Im so stuck with this speedo i wanna :) someone

I had a perfectly good dash, changed it for a nismo lcd and ej1 ecu, once i put the new dash and ej1 in for some reason both the dash and my avcr starting reading half the speed i was doing, the wiring for the ej1 was taken off the loom just before ecu, so was the avcr, the normal speedo in the dash was taken from the factory loom.

The main concern was the avcr, it worked perfectly before and now was reading the same as the dash, when i put the ej1 in i had the jumpers wrong, thought i may have fried the speedo sensor so i got a new sensor, didnt make a difference, in the end the ej1 some how f**ked up the readings from the afm, $1000 later finally found that the ej1 was making the car run like shit and changed back to the normal dash, once i did the speedo and avcr were reading normal again.

My conclusion is that the speedo reading goes through the dash to the ecu, if there was one sensor for the dash and another for the ecu then the only thing that would have read wrong is the guage in the dash not the ej1 display in the dash, i also highly doubt they would bother using two types or speed sensors, if they did have speed sensors on the wheels and the gearbox then the 33 would also have traction control, maybe the 34 has both but i dont think the 33 does.

Hey,

im still having right dramas with my speedo,

Ive looked for the problem for a couple of days now and cant find anything...

budgie snugglers too tight?

recommend boxers!