SAU Community

Turbosmart 48mm Gate Questions

SirRacer

Hi all. I have recently upgraded my turbo from a .82 3540 to the bigger 1.06 housing. Feels one hell of a lot faster thats for sure.

At the same time i also had the offer to swap my Tial 44 to a Turbosmart 48mm gate as i was getting a bit of creep. Its in there now and i only got to drive it for the first time today.

Questions:

The manual pdf from turbosmart themselves gives completely different spring colours to the sizes when i measure them. Ie the spring that is plainly orange in their books should be Red. A friend also has a similar gate and has this same problem.

The spring in there at present is meant to be the 14psi spring, however my car is boosting happily to 21psi before i back off due to running out of road. Id rather try and figure this out before sending it to a dyno operator to test and bill me accordingly.

Are these spring issues normal, and what experiences are others having with these gates? Ive got it plumbed as per the manual with no boost controller on it as yet.

The Tial did hold boost and im a bit suprised this one doesnt seem to (or isnt accurate to the spring sizes)

Love to hear any comments

What do u mean by that mate? Its one of the older series gates and the only options are to change the spring. Its mounted in a real dog of a position so i was hoping to get some feedback prior to changing springs etc.

Oh sorry man yeh a lot of gates don't have preload adjustment. My bad.

If you were getting gate creep, the spring that was in your 44mm wasn't high enough.

In my playing with turbosmart gates they generally are anywhere between 1-3psi LESS than what the spring rate is 'said' to be.

ie the 14psi spring starts to open/creep around 12-13psi, not 14psi exactly. Nothing major however.

Sounds like you might not have seated the spring correctly perhaps.

Hi all. I have recently upgraded my turbo from a .82 3540 to the bigger 1.06 housing. Feels one hell of a lot faster thats for sure.

At the same time i also had the offer to swap my Tial 44 to a Turbosmart 48mm gate as i was getting a bit of creep. Its in there now and i only got to drive it for the first time today.

Questions:

The manual pdf from turbosmart themselves gives completely different spring colours to the sizes when i measure them. Ie the spring that is plainly orange in their books should be Red. A friend also has a similar gate and has this same problem.

The spring in there at present is meant to be the 14psi spring, however my car is boosting happily to 21psi before i back off due to running out of road. Id rather try and figure this out before sending it to a dyno operator to test and bill me accordingly.

Are these spring issues normal, and what experiences are others having with these gates? Ive got it plumbed as per the manual with no boost controller on it as yet.

The Tial did hold boost and im a bit suprised this one doesnt seem to (or isnt accurate to the spring sizes)

Love to hear any comments

Can you elaborate on the creep issues you were having with the tial?

Edited by DCIEVE

The turbo manifold had heaps of problems and would overboost with the Tial, so the manifold maker put the wastegate feed pipe more into the manifold. I didnt drive the car but this apparently fixed the problem, but it creeped a little bit (ie 3 psi).

Whilst the car was in the shop i changed exhaust housings to the bigger one and gates to the 48mm Turbosmart. The spring in the gate says 14psi and my car happily hits 21psi before i back off as its too nuts really to test on an open road.

Are you sure you don't have both inner and outer spring installed?

According to the manual, to get 21psi you need 7psi(orange) and 14psi (red) springs installed

For 14psi you just need the "red" spring

If the colours as screwed up as you say, just use the measurements provided

post-36493-1255395370_thumb.jpg

Edited by petern