SAU Community

Everything you always wanted to know about Japan...

Demon Dave

I think this Japan forum should be renamed Rezz's Forum - as he has posted up nearly all the threads:D

I do have a question though, on one of the other threads it says baka = stupid, I was under the impression that this actually means crazy or does it mean both.

Also, could you enlighten me to about gaijin - I have been told by a ex pat Jap that it is a derogatory term, to quote 'same as calling a negro a African American' is this true also?

gaijin means outsider... foreigner... unwelcome invader (according to old scripts)... so yeah it meas "you're not welcome amongst us, bugger off" in polite terms. Thing with most ordinary japs is they won't curse at you if they're pissed, but they won't make u feel very welcome either.

I think this Japan forum should be renamed Rezz's Forum - as he has posted up nearly all the threads:D

I do have a question though, on one of the other threads it says baka = stupid, I was under the impression that this actually means crazy or does it mean both.

Also, could you enlighten me to about gaijin - I have been told by a ex pat Jap that it is a derogatory term, to quote 'same as calling a negro a African American' is this true also?

Rezz`s Forum? Nooooooooo, please please post up more threads people!:)

Baka: Stupid, silly, foolish.

Kurutteiru: crazy. (this is very direct in meaning)

About what you said about 'same as calling a negro a African American', that aaaaaalmost sums it up in todays language. For example, two foreigners will use Gaijin in passing conversation such as: "Hey mate, did you go to that new Gaijin bar in Shinsaibashi?", but on the other hand, if a foreigner approaches a Japanese girl and it's obvious he's just out for a screw, she maight say "Leave me alone, Gaijin!"... where the emphasis is on "Gaijin", being so that the word is used in a derogitory way to cause ill feeling, kind of like "African American"...

My 2c... what do you say Demon Dave?