SAU Community

Intercooler Question

Flargh!

Alrighty. Has anyone had experience with this type of cooler? (pic attached hopefully)

I am keen to try one, so i can use the stock side mount piping route.

What's to stop some, or most of the air from traveling up the tank and out the top pipe, without passing through the cooler body?

post-66529-1255466491_thumb.jpg

Alrighty. Has anyone had experience with this type of cooler? (pic attached hopefully)

I am keen to try one, so i can use the stock side mount piping route.

What's to stop some, or most of the air from traveling up the tank and out the top pipe, without passing through the cooler body?

post-66529-1255466491_thumb.jpg

i rekon it would be good

i would be guessing that there is a divider between the 2 outlets so the air has to flow all the way to 1 end and then back again. so not much different to a stealth type cooler.

only down side i can see is that heatsoak will affect temps a bit more than the normal style stealth cooler. the reason being that the hottest part of the cooler is going to be right next to where you want the coolest part to be. so the air will cool down as it gets to the left hand side of the cooler, then warm up a little bit as it heads back to the righ due to heatsoak.

hey mate,

depending on your budget if you want to do a turn flow style cooler using the stock piping i would suggest one of the Blitz cooler kits, they are a perfect fit and are high on quality. if you want to go cheaper the justjap turnflow kits are quite good for the price.

you have to take into account that the core you are looking at doesnt come with piping, or does it?

i would be guessing that there is a divider between the 2 outlets so the air has to flow all the way to 1 end and then back again. so not much different to a stealth type cooler.

I considered the divider, but wouldn't that cut down the air flow by 50%, as you've reduced the number of channels with half going one way and the other half coming back?

exactly. it may be pretty poor in the airflow department. but it is the only way that the cooler could actually work. without the divider very little air would actually make it through the core of the cooler, so it would be 95% useless at cooling,

I considered the divider, but wouldn't that cut down the air flow by 50%, as you've reduced the number of channels with half going one way and the other half coming back?

But what if theres more than 1 divider? :down: If there's 3 dividers in there? I think that would actually do the job.

But then the turbo will lag lol

I've got a Blitz intercooler in my 34. the air flows straight through but the piping is returned, which uses the stock smic piping route.

Here's a pic:

blitzcsrfkit.jpg

Where did you get your blitz from? Does it hook up to the standard IC piping? I see the ends of the pipes are smaller like they are designed to meet up with smaller pipes.

THe blitz kit is a good item, however the step at the end to suit the stock piping can promote a bottle neck into the pipe that goes to the throttle body. Standard piping size is 2.5" and the kit looks to be 3". I'm sure it's not a big deal but something to be mindful of.

For that reason, along with mandrel formed smooth pipework, I preffer the JustJap Cooling pro 'stealth' kit. The end tank design is a little more clunky but realistically not many will be pushing over the 220kw atw mark anyway. The stock GTT side mounts are capable of flowing close to that anyways, so it then becomes a topic of astethics.

cpstealther34.jpg

It's basically a copy of the blitz kit but in my opinion looks like a nicer product. Exposed welds to be look unfinished.

P.S. it doesn't come with cooling pro on the core either.

Edited by SABBAi

Does anyone know where i can get one of the blitz lm turn flow jobbies, like what is pictured above. Have tried a few places and they are either out of stock or it's a discontinued item. ;)

Does anyone know where i can get one of the blitz lm turn flow jobbies, like what is pictured above. Have tried a few places and they are either out of stock or it's a discontinued item. :P

Justjap have them, and on special for $799 - i think - though your in nz so post would be a bit :devil:

Does anyone know where i can get one of the blitz lm turn flow jobbies, like what is pictured above. Have tried a few places and they are either out of stock or it's a discontinued item. :devil:

The Blitz LM series are no longer available and have been replaced with the Intercooler CS Kits shown above.

As 1802NV said, Just Jap is the Australian Blitz agent and have them in stock for most models :P

The Blitz LM series are no longer available and have been replaced with the Intercooler CS Kits shown above.

As 1802NV said, Just Jap is the Australian Blitz agent and have them in stock for most models :D

I have a couple of emails into Justjap, but they haven't responded. :)

Plus NZ isn't on the list of countries they send too for some reason :(

Just buy an ARC turn-flow cooler. That should solve all your problems :). I had a used ARC cross-flow (M073 core) for sale for GDB impreza's but sold it last month.

Just buy an ARC turn-flow cooler. That should solve all your problems :D . I had a used ARC cross-flow (M073 core) for sale for GDB impreza's but sold it last month.

Aren't the arc ones a fair bit smaller? Do you recall the dimensions of your one?

Aren't the arc ones a fair bit smaller? Do you recall the dimensions of your one?

Yeah most of them are small and is a direct replacement (bolt-on factory-mount or front-mount) but most big distributers can order directly from ARC if you're willing to wait for yours to be made, and you can choose from a variety of different sizes. The subaru one I had, dimensions were 240H X 570L X 70W. But don't let the small size deter you, all ARC cooling products have great flow properties and make some of the most sought-after products in the world. Being a small cooler doesn't necessarily mean it's not going to flow as good as the larger ones. :banana: