SAU Community

Aluminium Welding

LordMidol

G'day guys,

Whilst this isn't technically for car fabrication it sort of is. I bought my Stagea to house my dog and I need to build a cage to go in it so I think this is relevant enough to be in here rather than OT.

Basically, I've wanted to learn to weld for a long time. My local tafe does a course but it's on Sunday and I work every Sunday and it'd be work load suicide asking for 6 sundays off in a row at this time of the year (aka my hours go from 40-50 down to 10-20).

I figure why not start now! Rather than getting someone else to build me it I can buy a crap load of aluminium for practicing and teach myself...

The type of cage I'll be building:

1113-1.jpg

But it'll need to be able to fit into the back obviously and secured.

Anyway, few questions.

AFAIK "tig" welding is the best for this type of job, correct?

Danger levels in teaching yourself "tig" welding?

Are there any good DVD sets out there on "tig" welding?

Should I just bin my desire to weld till I can attend the local Tafe?

where are you going to get the welder from?

honestly, theres not much danger with a tig, cant really "blow yourself up" or anything

just you can burn yourself as per usual, and maybe a bit of a shock if its not eathed properly...

theres a few thing you would need for a tig

- the welder it self with all fittings... (its going to have to be an AC/DC welder.. which are f**k off expensive)

- helmet

- gas

- tungstens

- gloves...

- plenty of steel!!!

can i suggest getting some mild steel first, and just practicing welding on that..., i know its different welding steel and al... but your a fresh beginner.

as for tutorials, maybe youtube?

btw where are you? in melb? i might be able to give you a hand and point you in the right direction

There are some good cheap ac/dc tigs around. Ive been running one for 2 years now, a unitig. You will also need a straight argon gas bottle.

Alloy is very different to welding steel, it wicks the heat away much quicker and the settings on the tig have to be right. Check the Miller website for some good tutorials.

Doing a tafe course is pretty good because you obvious get instruction and help and pick up tips from guys that have been doing it for a while.

You'll need that list that blaq boi post plus a bench grinder (abit more important for mild steel) for grinding tungstens

angle grinder for cleaning up metal

Finger dexterity is more important with tig than it is with a mig. With gloves most people use something like a rigging glove but you can get gloves that are abit better suited

If you have the money automated welding mask $250-$700

Best to start on mild steel, doing lines on plate no filler rod, lines with filler rod and then doing joins. Once you get the hand skills then go onto aluminum.

You'll need to do abit of reading on tig basics gas types, flow rates, currents, tungsten types, filler rod types, filler rod/tunsten distances/ angles.

Thanks guys.

Will do a bit more research and try and think of a project I can do with normal steel rather than Aluminium to start with.

btw, in QLD unfortunately.

Where abouts in QLD? If you're anywhere near Bris i'll be happy to give you some start up lessons at a more convenient time.

I'm on the Sunshine Coast :) Brisbane isn't far, I have to go there for almost everything I do already :banana:

We're just about to hit our busy period at work (it's already starting) but will try talking to work and see what they can do with scheduled time off.