SAU Community

Carbon vs aluminium driveshafts

khezz

I am looking at a new one piece driveshaft for my R32 GTR. I am wondering if anyone knows any pros and cons of carbon fibre vs aluminium. Car will be street driven but is built for drag and roll racing. I am leaning towards aluminium as it is plenty strong (metro r32 gtr ran well into the 6s with one). Will not loose fray like carbon can if scratched and is cheaper to buy. 

I know carbon Fibre has better shock loading capabilities. 

any other points from either camp?

47 minutes ago, khezz said:

I am looking at a new one piece driveshaft for my R32 GTR. I am wondering if anyone knows any pros and cons of carbon fibre vs aluminium. Car will be street driven but is built for drag and roll racing. I am leaning towards aluminium as it is plenty strong (metro r32 gtr ran well into the 6s with one). Will not loose fray like carbon can if scratched and is cheaper to buy. 

I know carbon Fibre has better shock loading capabilities. 

any other points from either camp?

By better shock loading do you mean it transmits more shock loads? Pretty sure it's more torsionally rigid no?

26 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

I think he is referring to the shock load that occurs on launch.

Big sticky drag radials, engine on limiter/2 step, then bam, huge shock load through the drivetrain on launch. 

Yes. That’s I was talking about. Carbon fibre is meant be gentler on the drivetrain around it by absorbing some of the shock. Aluminium much less so. 

On 10/21/2022 at 1:04 PM, GTSBoy said:

Porsche 928 torque tube in an SA Sports Sedan thingo was reputed to build up something like 7 complete twists at grid flag and clutch drop.

I find that so hard to believe. I would believe "7 times as much twist" as others, but not even one complete twist. Would love more info on that.

Anyway my vote is get something from Aus, usd exchange rate and shipping is crazy.

GJ drivelines can do alluminium tailshafts, give them a call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

I find that so hard to believe. I would believe "7 times as much twist" as others, but not even one complete twist. Would love more info on that.

It might have been even worse, like 11 times. The maths is relatively easy. Solid shaft of X diameter. Y torque applied at launch, with a little extra effort put in for the fact that it's a dynamic situation, not just statically loaded. The core shaft in the torque tube winds up, then unwinds as the torque is fully delivered to the diff end. I'll see if I can find the post on it. I think it was on PF, like, 15-20 years ago.