SAU Community

What Thickness Is My Head Gasket?

MoogLe

So i took my headgasket out and measured it with a caliper and got 1.7mm.... it's a metal gasket... dont know which brand

so ok i thought that would be correct but then i measured a stock headgasket and got the same 1.7mm

so here's a picture of the measurements....

DSCN6923.jpg

someone help me figure this out..... i need to order a new gasket asap but need to know what thickness to order since i need to resurface my head

I read that the stock tickness is 1.2mm.... but why am i getting 1.7?? Does anyone have a headgasket they can measure up for me in the same way and tell me what they get?

Edited by MoogLe

Have you tried with a pair of digital calipers? Maybe the old school ones just arent acurate enough to show a difference that little.

nope i havent because i dont know anyone who has one :happy:

dont see how the old school one can be innacurate though , harder to read yes, but innacurate i dont think so

i got a good comment from an ebay seller though

apparently the measurements they use when stating head gasket thickness is the "compressed thickness" so it would be thicker if it's not being used, which would make allot more sense...

in that case i'd be guessing that mine would probably compress down to 1.5-1.6mm when installed and the stock one would make sense if it compressed down to 1.2mm since it's much softer

If your measuring a used gasket then it has already been compressed, and won't rebound at all when you take it out [it is now flatter, it won't spring back or puff up].

The amount of compression [of the gasket] depends on the gasket material used. I've seen paper ones go from 0.7-0.9mm to so thin you can see through them. Copper ones seen to compress the least. Composite gaskets it depends on their make.

To compare gasket thickness you need to have two new ones otherwise your kidding yourself.

If your measuring a used gasket then it has already been compressed, and won't rebound at all when you take it out [it is now flatter, it won't spring back or puff up].

The amount of compression [of the gasket] depends on the gasket material used. I've seen paper ones go from 0.7-0.9mm to so thin you can see through them. Copper ones seen to compress the least. Composite gaskets it depends on their make.

To compare gasket thickness you need to have two new ones otherwise your kidding yourself.

well the OEM one i measured was new

the metal one in my car isnt....

so how would you suggest finding out how thick it is?

dude, i got it with my car from japan

i dont have the slightest idea which brand it could be....

the coating on it is black if it helps.... other than that there's nothing else on it to give me an indication

who has a new metal HG to measure for me