SAU Community

Light-up Skyline Sign Tutorial

JamesK

• 2 months later...

Would it be possible to slip a neon in there instead of the LED panel as i dislike how the LEDs have real bright hot spots on a few rear garnishes i have seen, also how would i go about getting the neon to stay there and not move around within the garnish?? is there any way that water can get in or wen the garnish is on that part is blocked of??

whay do you think about this mod??? i did this with a friend over the weekend, sorry for the crappy cam.

please reply

Completely illegal - from my understanding, you can only have auxiliary lights if they do not flash or move.

also, not my cup of tea.

Completely illegal - from my understanding, you can only have auxiliary lights if they do not flash or move.

also, not my cup of tea.

The NSW RTA vehicle standards has a clause on additional brakes lights.

Every car can have one additional from the tail lights.

So if its red, it is legal.

But the night rider gig may raise a question.

NSW anyway, soon to be national standards.

Edited by conan7772

Would it be possible to slip a neon in there instead of the LED panel as i dislike how the LEDs have real bright hot spots on a few rear garnishes i have seen, also how would i go about getting the neon to stay there and not move around within the garnish?? is there any way that water can get in or wen the garnish is on that part is blocked of??

Could someone please answer this??

Cheers

I used a CCFL (cold cathode florescent) in mine. Got it from Jaycar. It works, but is a little too short and a little too bright. I ended up putting two LEDs in - one at each end to handle the shortness that was causing the ends to be too dim.

On the brightness it is so bright that it actually shines through the paint - of course my car is white so paint doesn't block as much as a darker color or silver. I have a mod planned to fix it up but haven't gotten around to it yet.

It's been on the car for a year now without problem though.

thanx man well i ended up finishing it and yeh i have the same problem it is shinning through im thinking about painting inside of it with touch up and avoiding the lettering, how did u block of the back section that was cut out??

Hi all,

If your cutting the whole plastic backing off the garnish,how do you re-attach it to the car? Or do you only cut the section that doesn't have the studs on it?

• 3 weeks later...

ok guys i wanna clear this up, i need the nsw guys to answer this

if i was to make the garnish red and hook it up to my brakes it would be illigal

but if i was to just have it as a solid color its legal?

If you hooked it up to your brake lights it would be considered as a distraction to other drivers that would make it illegal,best bet is to ring your local police station and ask.

Edited by 96Gts25t

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Has anyone tried painting the sign to any other color than their car? I have the Wine red color skyline that is notorius for being a hard color to match and I have problems getting the right paint color where I live because the original paint has got darker over the years. So I was thinking has anyone tried to paint it some neutral color like grey or something that would look good?

Ive seen a few white ones getting around with the light up garnish painted black and it looks not too bad, maybe go for a black or even grey.. if you go to autoahn they can colour match it for you that's how i went about matching my colour and it was pretty close

• 1 month later...

I have one of these lights fitted as a factory option on my r33 looks way better than after market ones no bright spots like led's.

Part # G9850-22U00 for anyone interested. $670 for a brand new one :S

• Like 1