SAU Community

How Much Boost To Run On A Stock N/a Rb30?

aubinator

i have a n/a rb30 in a nissan patrol its getting turboed but wana leave compression up so it holds back better going down hills and keeps the low down power for 4wding wot kind of boost can i run with a top mount to keep it from crapping its pants?

just use the normal RB30ET setup and you will be fine on the RB30E

Plenty of people have made 200rwkw on a N/A motor converted to DE.

Remember 15-20 years of fuel development has had its advantages. So use good fuel/tune, you wont have a problem

If you are looking at only the stock rb20 or rb30 turbos you dont really need to top mount them. You will just lose some responsiveness. And the choice of the turbo really depends on how quickly you want it to come on to boost. Personally I think the rb20 turbo will be too small for the 3L. I would be putting on a rb25 turbo at the minimum.

A stock turbo(t3) will be fine. The smallest i'd go would be the rb25. I was thinking of that for a family car project.

I had a t3/4 on stock engine for ages. Ran 10psi boost with a front mount intercooler. I ran 7 pound with the standard crossover pipe but had to retard the ignition only a couple of degrees to curb detonation. I think i even used standard 91 octane fuel.

Is the rb30 gonna be carb still or using fuel injection?? I think a top mount intercooler will be ok as long as your not putting much more than standard boost in and you have a big enough scoop.

Good luck with the conversion.

My mate had a short wheeled with rb30 turbo. Was nuts..

NA compression is fine for turbo. use the standard vlt setup as said. dont use a rb25 turbo, would need to rotate housings and then make a custom dump and probably oil and water lines too. stock vlt turbo bolts up

RB20 turbo if you want all spool in well before 2000rpm with a little over 100rwkw at 2000rpm lol.

Peak power is up at around 4400rpm (170rwkwish) and from there its pretty much all over so it wont rev.

had a Hypergear Tr43 on stainless highmount manifold, at 11psi we made 190rwkw, that was with a shit homemade restrictive dump pipe!

darkhalf ECU

VLturbo injectors

monza intercooler

easiest conversion is get the VL turbo stuff and bolt on. ebay has a setup for $400

Eaton M60 from a VT V6 supercharged.

For bottom end torque, there is NO substitute for a supercharger.

Alternatively, rip it out and put a diesel in it like a man would do. Then you can do fully sick water crossings and not drown your engine.