SAU Community

Missfire R33 Rb25det

Kujotk

Well what else could it be and has anyone had similar issues in the past, I searched but couldn't find anything exactly the same....

So last night i gave the line abit up a steep hill, when i push the throttle down hard, it'll start to spit and splatter and loose abit of power above 4500rpm, but if i accelorate slowly past 4500rpm there is no issue.

I remember reading something similar on someone elses skyline but it is so vague and i couldnt find it in the search option i thought i'd post this up and try to rejog someones memory.

I'm thinking coil, afm or fuel pump... but less likely the fuel pump since it can still reach 7000 rpm as long as i do it slower....

cheers

Hmmm so with some more searching I find that the spark plugs tend to sometimes fail much earlier than what their rated for, I put in NGK Platinums in about 15-20 000km ago, they were rated for 80k, but there a few people out thir saying they are failing at around 20 000km, guess i'll pull them out and have a look at that at the same time... could be as easy as new plugs (AGAIN.....)

don't bother wasting money on platinum plugs or iridiums. i ran coppers and they lasted nearly as long as iridiums, but at 1/6th of the price.

the missfire you are getting when on high load but not on low load (even though at the same rpm) is because on high load more fuel is being pumped into the cylinder so it is harder to ignite and takes a bigger spark. with either weak coils or plugs the spark can be blown out or just arc out.

to answer your question more directly, yes it sounds like it could be your coils. it could also be your plugs, or it could be a mixutre of both. plugs are a much cheaper item to replace so try them first. i would recommend changing your plugs to BCPR6ES. they will be gapped at 0.8mm and should set you back about $6 a plug. while you have the coils out tape up the leg and base of the body with electrical tape. this can help prevent them arcing out. it is only a temporary fix. before you tape them up inspect them in a well lit area for signs of arcing. if you have a second car that you can borrow, pull the coils out first and inspect them and if they look ok then go and buy the plugs (having use of a second car saves you having to put them back in and drive to the shop and then pull them out again when you get home). if you find signs of arcing then i wouldn't bother buying new plugs as you are going to need new coils, but taping them up should reduce the missfire problem until you can get new coils.

do you know what gap your current plugs are set at? if they were 1.1mm then i would suggest gapping them down to 0.9 or 0.8mm, or you could buy the plugs i suggest if you don't mind spending the money.

lachlanw: if you don't have anything to contribute, dont say anything.

Mad082: thanks for that, I have no idea what gap the spark plugs are, but i'll inspect them and see if they need to be put to 0.8mm gap or if they need to be replaced,

failing that i'll see what condition the coils are in,

I have recently had similar issues with my car.

I had the tune touched up a bit to fix rev hunting, a mate picked up the car for me from the tuners, took it for a spin around the block, had to do a hill start, and it started sounding like a WRX, and lost a bit of power.

Took the sparkplugs out (IRIWAY7) and swapped them with some older NGK PFR5G11 and it worked for a few days. The IRIWAY7 plugs were really fouled, coilpacks - Superspark are about 1k km old, and no signs of arcing. I then dropped the car back to the tuners with the PFR5G11, and apparently he cant get it to fault, the AFR's are around 12:1.

Could it have been because the tune wasn't suited for the hot weather, or wrong type of plugs? What do you guys think?

Sorry to hijack this thread, just didnt want to start another one.

the plugs you put in are a much hotter plug. depending on your mods they may be too hot and the 7's may have been too cold, and that's why they were fouling. get yourself some copper BCPR6ES11 plugs. they will be a touch colder to help with detonation but not too cold that they will fould up like the iridiums you took out. and they are still a 1.1mm gap, since you have new coils.

hey i just got off the phone to Just Jap and i was asking for the JJR coils they sell, the guiy i spoke to said they were "shit" and he refuses to sell them anymore, they came with 12month warrantee but he is sick of changing the coils under warrantee....

what do i do now? am i stuck and am forced to get the $650 split fire coils???? there too expensive for what they are.. how gay

I have recently had similar issues with my car.

I had the tune touched up a bit to fix rev hunting, a mate picked up the car for me from the tuners, took it for a spin around the block, had to do a hill start, and it started sounding like a WRX, and lost a bit of power.

Took the sparkplugs out (IRIWAY7) and swapped them with some older NGK PFR5G11 and it worked for a few days. The IRIWAY7 plugs were really fouled, coilpacks - Superspark are about 1k km old, and no signs of arcing. I then dropped the car back to the tuners with the PFR5G11, and apparently he cant get it to fault, the AFR's are around 12:1.

Could it have been because the tune wasn't suited for the hot weather, or wrong type of plugs? What do you guys think?

Sorry to hijack this thread, just didnt want to start another one.

Hey when i had that "WRX" feel to my car after i had the spark plugs done, I opened it up and found the person who did the spark plugs didnt bother to clip the loom in properly and so it was only firing on 5 cylindres..... see if the loom connections are fine, sounds asif there is no spark at all from ont of the spark plugs

Im in the same boat, car is running on only 5 cylinders, car is now parked in the carport and not getting driven till this is fixed! Im not sure if it would cause damage to the engine, but it is sure not doing it any good!!

Best price i have got for Splitfires is $600 dollars.

My problem is that i have had work done to the coil pack wiring loom, and this could be the problem.. Have to get another one and see if it changes anything, then change the plugs, then if that doesnt fix it im up for new coils.. the joys of cars hey!!

where did you find $600 split fires? and why the hell have they gone up from $500 about 15 months ago to todays price most places i have rung today $650-$700???? what a scam, especially since there made in china, they use USD, and our dollar is buying the most it has in the last 25 years....

Anyway the temporary fix for me was to wrap the coils up with electrical tape, car goes better than it did just before the problem started

i had the same problem with mine when i first got it. There are heaps of threads you can read on SAU, i found the best answer is to silicone the baby's (i read this on here) this cut mine out 100%. your coils could have hairline cracks, industrial grade silicone works a treat took me about 2hrs. i also replaced my plugs but this was a week or two later. give it a go, untill you buy new ones.

Cam

the plugs you put in are a much hotter plug. depending on your mods they may be too hot and the 7's may have been too cold, and that's why they were fouling. get yourself some copper BCPR6ES11 plugs. they will be a touch colder to help with detonation but not too cold that they will fould up like the iridiums you took out. and they are still a 1.1mm gap, since you have new coils.

Thanks for the info :P . I got a call from my tuner today, he said he finally noticed the plugs i had installed/taken out and did a bit o9f research on them. He said they are a Race plug, not designed for a daily driver like my car is. So he is gonna change the plugs for me, not too sure what he is going to put in, shall find out wednesday when i pick it up...most likely NGK Coppers or something.

where did you find $600 split fires? and why the hell have they gone up from $500 about 15 months ago to todays price most places i have rung today $650-$700???? what a scam, especially since there made in china, they use USD, and our dollar is buying the most it has in the last 25 years....

Anyway the temporary fix for me was to wrap the coils up with electrical tape, car goes better than it did just before the problem started

Was a shop/dealer in my local area, only reason they were cheap was because its a trade price! that was for DIS-008 (r34)

aussie dollare was actually a few cents higher a few years back (about 15 months ago actually) when it was up around 96 or 97 cents US. also the value of the dollar isn't the only thing to influence the cost of items. chinese manufacturing costs are still rising at a pretty high rate compare to most countries. some of my suppliers costs have gone up by as much as 40 or 50%, and on the odd occasion they have been a 100% increase.

aussie dollare was actually a few cents higher a few years back (about 15 months ago actually) when it was up around 96 or 97 cents US. also the value of the dollar isn't the only thing to influence the cost of items. chinese manufacturing costs are still rising at a pretty high rate compare to most countries. some of my suppliers costs have gone up by as much as 40 or 50%, and on the odd occasion they have been a 100% increase.

well aware of that, i'm an importer lol, how else would i get the Maserati at the age of 23 lol, and when it hit 96-97 cents it really wasn't for long (not long enough to change prices)

Still I can't see the coils being made for anything more than $5USD each, they would easily fit 1000's of coil packs in a 40 foot high top container so transport fees are out of the question, warehousing isn't that much, they dont need much space ect... (let alone being sold retail for $110 each) once they get it onto a production line, I really doubt the way our $$$ has shot up in the last 2 months would be less than the price rise in china for raw materials and labour, besides mainly the things that have risen in china is the price of raw metal materials like copper and iron ect... plastic has stayed relatively stable and labour over the last year has barely moved in the factories...

Greedy bloody split fire

yeah but 40%-100% increases from $2 - $4 isnt going to make the price jump from $500 (price of spitfires 16-24 months ago) up to $700 of todays price, its easy to see that the company is getting more money hungry... but what can you do????

people work of a % markup and don't just put on a set dollar value profit. in my industry a $10 price increase at the manufacturer can increase the retail price by about $40 once everyone has put their markup on.

also they are a business not a charity. their aim is to make money. so as long as people keep paying the big prices for them they will keep charging it.