SAU Community

Sluggish In Low Revs

Mooney

Hey, i have a R32 with rb25 na. Seems to be sluggish in low revs, anything above 4000rpm and its good, what can i do can a different tune or anyone else experienced this and found a solution??

cheers

Welcome to Club N/A where no power off the line is just the beginning.

Do u have an aftermarket exhaust? if so, it may be too big and actually cause a lack of back pressure resulting in the car being extra sluggish in low revs until a higher velocity of exhaust gas flows out, where it would be better for it...

oOoO rb20...even worst lol

shoulda atleast tried to get a rb25.

but yeah 2.5inches is max you should go on a n/a otherwise you'll end up loosing back pressure.

2.25-2.5 is optimal for best performance. with a decent muffler and have it made as straight as possible.

is 2.5 inch exhaust system good for a na rb20de r32 gts?

on your car, i personally would of gone 2.25 as i think 2.5 is too big.

hahahhaah lol

no need to laugh at him man, he was just after some advice.

wtf i have a rb25 in mine, i have full exhaust system 2.5" with hi flow cat. worked diff and gearbox. adjustable fuel reg and gay ass pod filter. was thinking about extractors and chip it and give it a more aggresive tune

you could always give the CAS a good twist in the advanced direction. will make it pick up much quicker, but the engine won't last that long.

Premium fuel goes a long way, I've been running mine at full advance for years, not a problem. Even in the peak of summer, full load, doesn't even think about pinging.

Definitely give that CAS a little twist, free HP imo.

if you are able to run full advance without pinging (unless you are running c16) then i wouldn't be suprised if your timing belt is 1 tooth out. or you just don't know what pinging sounds like. but then again the ecu is probably knocking 15 degrees of timing out because it is hearing the knock, so you could probably back your timing off a bit and not lose any power.

wtf i have a rb25 in mine, i have full exhaust system 2.5" with hi flow cat. worked diff and gearbox. adjustable fuel reg and gay ass pod filter. was thinking about extractors and chip it and give it a more aggresive tune

Run a few tanks of 98 fuel.

Remove any excess weight (stuff in the boot) - I'm guilty of having too much stuff there :rolleyes:

Check your tire pressures.

Clean your throttle body - you will be surprised how dirty it gets.

Try putting the pod in an enclosure or go back to a stock airbox and panel filter. You could be getting too much heat on the intake side of things.

Also are you running fairly wide tires and/or air-con? This causes alot of drag (resistance).

"Premium fuel goes a long way, I've been running mine at full advance for years, not a problem. Even in the peak of summer, full load, doesn't even think about pinging.

Definitely give that CAS a little twist, free HP imo."

how do you do that?

Edited by R34 -_-

the CAS is located on the front of the engine. it is a round thing with i think 3 bolts located at even intervals around the outside. each bolt will be in an ovalised slot allowing movement of the CAS.

this should only be done with a timing light and having locked the ecu into timing mode first. this way you can monitor how much you have altered the timing. if you go too far and get pinging/detonation/knock and don't realise it, it can result in engine damage. also make a mark on where the timing was before you started so you know how much you have moved it if you want to back it off a bit.

if you are able to run full advance without pinging (unless you are running c16) then i wouldn't be suprised if your timing belt is 1 tooth out. or you just don't know what pinging sounds like. but then again the ecu is probably knocking 15 degrees of timing out because it is hearing the knock, so you could probably back your timing off a bit and not lose any power.

The belt hasn't been changed so it's not a tooth out and my brothers r33 gts had his on full advance aswell for years (when it was na). I know what det sounds like, she ain't pinging. Also when the stock ecu hears det and takes out 15 degrees of timing all of a sudden its noticeable, which it definitely isnt doing.

Not suggesting every just go and smash timing as much timing into theirs as possible, but for mine and my brothers, full advance worked a treat.