SAU Community

Kuhmo Ku36 Tyres

Marlin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fisrt run I was concerned I'd made a bad decision as the were very slippery, but each subsequent run they got better.

I found they took a decent drive to become a decent tyre...

So how chep is chep, 235/40/17s ?

www.option1garage.com.au

$164 a corner ;) Farkin CHEAP! lol

isn't that the 235/45/17 price?

all I can say after my experience with KU36 and Toyo R888s in the last couple of years is don't waste your money on the R888s! In my previous outing to Lakeside in the Sil80 with R888s I didn't think I had any more lateral grip or mid corner speed than my previous Supra on KU36 had. And yesterday running with Ben's 32 confirmed it for me.

Maybe on a track with more low speed corners the R888 might have a traction advantage out of corners, but that's not really much of a factor at Lakeside. Not with our power level anyway.

Edited by hrd-hr30

So lateral grip woud be comparable then Harry? Were the 888's fresh?

I wasn't a huge fan of my 888's as I initially experienced what harry is talking about. I eventually found they like a lot more camber than the 3.5 and 1.5 i was running. I ended up with about 5 degrees front and 2 or so rear to get them working well.

I will be grabbing some kumhos for the street/occasional track car early next year.

I was looking for info at the start of the year on these tyres this was on an american muscle car forum....

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Ecsta XS, see below for baseline info. There isn't really a temp that the tire "fades", you will need to get the proper heat into the tire to get peak performance. The closer you can get the tread to the 205 temp the more grip you will have. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a great day.

• ** Molded to 6/32

• ** Shave to 3/32 - 4/32 for max grip and durability

• ** Recommend initial heat cycle for prolonged use

• ** -1.0 to –3.0 degrees of camber for stock and mild suspension

• ** Slight toe out front, 0 to slight toe in rear

• ** 35-45 HOT PSI for most vehicles

• ** Cold PSI for autocross and hot PSI for circuit racing

• ** 30-36 PSI for tuned suspension and lighter cars

• ** Operating temperature range 190’-210’ (205’ optimum) across tread face

• ** Wet inflation pressures 5-8 PSI below dry cold pressures

~Jason Myers

Motorsports Services

Kumho America Technical Center

I will ad that judging by yesterday's efforts Harry that the R888 is a simply superb sand tyre! LOLOL

I try to test all aspects of a tyre's peformance... :P there's only 1 gravel trap at the bloody place and I got it 2 times out of 3 sessions! Not bad eh? I didn't get video of the 2nd session so I missed my first 'excursion', but I do have the 2nd, and in my opinion superior, spin behind you. Plus some nice flame-outs from your beast in front. Will try to get it uploaded it tonight...

So lateral grip woud be comparable then Harry? Were the 888's fresh?

yes and yes. lateral grip would be almost identical. I bought them in January, have only really used them 3 times and the manufacture dates were mid 2008 iirc.

$164 a corner :D Farkin CHEAP! lol

That is cheap. I was looking at getting a set of Dunlop Diruzza Sport Z1 from Tirerack, US$134 each in that size, but its not worth it if the Kuhmo's are that price. Incidentially Tirerack list a Kuhmo Exsta XS as their comparable tyre.

At Lakeside on Sunday the KU36 users seemed to be doing times close to the semi users, there seemed to be very little difference. I'll also venture the opinion that tyres are not the limiting factor for most at that circuit :huh:

I have been using these for street use and a couple of ventures to the dragway, for the price you cant go wrong

They also perform in the wet much better then I expected

Im running 17/40/255 on the rear, I priced them up at a local tyre dealer just to see and they were $369 each :down: haha so I get them through option

Thanks for the info Harry.

Now to decide whether to buy some dedicated track rims or just wait for the RE070's to die and just use KU's all the time...

I just got my track rims, so I'm definitely considering Ku36's... 255/40/17 is only $227/tyre at the moment on option1garage. Sounds like a cheaper option than doing semi-slicks and attempting to change them at the track :down:

Still curious as to who else has used them on the track, at this stage semi's are looking out of my price range for quite a while...either way, anything is better than the Dunlop LeMan's :D